• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games based on anime that are still good/fun to play if you never watched the anime before?

Shantae

Banned
I was just browsing the eshop, and noticed how Bandai Namco has a bunch of their games on sale yet again, and I always see stuff like the Naruto games, SAO, One Piece titles on sale for pretty good prices, and they're always tempting even though I have little to no familiarity with the source material. I watched a handful of the first episodes of all these series at one time, but eventually fell off because I just don't like watching things that much. I like playing video games, because I enjoy something interactive. I don't mind cutscenes, but for some reason, I just don't like sitting and ideally watching dozens of hours of content. Only anime that was really long that I did watch all the way through was Dragon Ball Z, and I've never fully rewatched it again, even though I still like it for the most part. I remember when I first tried watching original Naruto, and it got a few episodes in, and we got to our first multi-episode fight that just went on and on, that's when I checked out, because I couldn't do it again after DBZ. It's not that I wasn't invested in the characters and story to a point, but I couldn't stand when it slows down like that.

Even though I'm not an avid anime watcher though, I still just like the look of anime in general, and I like games that look like anime. At the same time, I feel like I miss out on these games that always catch my eye, but I feel like I can't play because I have no familiarity with the source material. The only game I know of that you could probably enjoy without being familiar with the source material is Dragon Ball Fighterz, cuz it's a fighting game. Every other DBZ game I've played before always seemed like you needed some intimate familiarity with the show to even get it, otherwise it seems like nonsense.

Brings me back to the purpose of this thread...are there any out there that are exceptions to this rule? Something that I could still get into, which maybe does a good enough job explaining the story on it's own that I can play the game and still get something out of it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The loading times are tough to stomach, but I enjoy playing DBZ Fighterz with bro's kids.

It becomes a game of button mashing and lucky move/button sequences hoping something great happens. I suck as I only play it when I go over to their house, and they are much younger and simply suck at most games no matter what.

Nice fair match where I try SF and MK combo moves hoping something happens and keep spamming them. lol

Shantae

Banned
The loading times are tough to stomach, but I enjoy playing DBZ Fighterz with bro's kids.

It becomes a game of button mashing and lucky move/button sequences hoping something great happens. I suck as I only play it when I go over to their house, and they are much younger and simply suck at most games no matter what.

Nice fair match where I try SF and MK combo moves hoping something happens and keep spamming them. lol
Actually DB Fighterz is the one game I mention in the OP that might be an exception to the rule, because it just a good 2D fighter on it's own merits. Even that game though does lose me in spots though, because I only ever watched Dragon Ball Z the series. Never seen any of the movies, and have still not watched Dragon Ball Super. So anytime they throw characters from those things, like Goku Black, or Beerus, or Kefla...I don't know who the fuck these people are.

Zannegan

Attack on Titan 2 seems to be a lot of fun regardless of whether you've seen the show or not. At least, Yahtzee Croshaw seemed to like it quite a bit, though he does note that it's not the best way to experience the story for the first time.

Shantae

Banned
Attack on Titan 2 seems to be a lot of fun regardless of whether you've seen the show or not. At least, Yahtzee Croshaw seemed to like it quite a bit, though he does note that it's not the best way to experience the story for the first time.

I haven't watched any of seasons 2 or 3, but I did watch the first, and I did really like what I saw of Attack on Titan. Mikasa is a bad ass, and I ended up getting her figma when I was in Japan a couple years ago ^_^

Played the games too, and yeah they're okay. They're a different spin on the musou formula, but I did get kinda bored with the gameplay after a while.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My personal favourite game thats based on anime is this.
520859-fist-of-the-north-star-lost-paradise-playstation-4-inside-cover.png

Done by Yakuza team.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But does that enjoyment come with the condition that you like the series before? I know nothing about it except the meme.
Honestly you don’t need watch the show or read manga to enjoy this, it has characters from series but it doesn’t really follow the story. Let’s just say this more of Yakuza team’s take on the series rather than trying to be faithful to it.

Doom85

Actually DB Fighterz is the one game I mention in the OP that might be an exception to the rule, because it just a good 2D fighter on it's own merits. Even that game though does lose me in spots though, because I only ever watched Dragon Ball Z the series. Never seen any of the movies, and have still not watched Dragon Ball Super. So anytime they throw characters from those things, like Goku Black, or Beerus, or Kefla...I don't know who the fuck these people are.

I personally like Super despite a few flaws (but far less flaws than GT had IMHO), but I will say you should watch it before playing FighterZ's story mode (if you haven't already) as it doesn't really explain who Beerus and Whis are IIRC, they're just there. Or if you don't want to watch all of Super, you can watch either the Battle of Gods movie or the first arc of Super (that re-adapted said movie) which was about 14-15 episodes long IIRC as that explains who they are.

Shantae

Banned
I personally like Super despite a few flaws (but far less flaws than GT had IMHO), but I will say you should watch it before playing FighterZ's story mode (if you haven't already) as it doesn't really explain who Beerus and Whis are IIRC, they're just there. Or if you don't want to watch all of Super, you can watch either the Battle of Gods movie or the first arc of Super (that re-adapted said movie) which was about 14-15 episodes long IIRC as that explains who they are.
What is the easiest way to even watch it? It's not on netflix, so I can't watch it there which is mainly how I watched Attack on Titan before.

Doom85

What is the easiest way to even watch it? It's not on netflix, so I can't watch it there which is mainly how I watched Attack on Titan before.

Well, I have all the BRs so that's how I personally watch it. For streaming options for Super, it should all be on FUNimation's site. I have a subscription though so I'm not sure what the limits are to non-subscribed viewers. Crunchyroll does have all the episodes (and last time I checked, you can watch without subscribing, just have to deal with ads if you're not subscribed), but only subbed I imagine in case that's an issue. The Battle of Gods movie doesn't seem to available on either site, but again it was re-adapted into the first arc of Super so you can watch it that way. The Super TV anime re-adaptation of the Battle of Gods movie does also expand on the story more (since it's 14 episodes versus a 100 minute film) but obviously the animation isn't quite as good as the movie version. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's not mentioned that often but the Ubisoft Naruto games on Xbox 360 were surprisingly really good when they released.

Shantae

Banned
Well, I have all the BRs so that's how I personally watch it. For streaming options for Super, it should all be on FUNimation's site. I have a subscription though so I'm not sure what the limits are to non-subscribed viewers. Crunchyroll does have all the episodes (and last time I checked, you can watch without subscribing, just have to deal with ads if you're not subscribed), but only subbed I imagine in case that's an issue. The Battle of Gods movie doesn't seem to available on either site, but again it was re-adapted into the first arc of Super so you can watch it that way. The Super TV anime re-adaptation of the Battle of Gods movie does also expand on the story more (since it's 14 episodes versus a 100 minute film) but obviously the animation isn't quite as good as the movie version. Hope that helps.
Hm...they do have a 2 week trial on funimation's site. Maybe I'll try them out, I need to kill sometime tomorrow as it is because I have a very slow job, and I'm working a 16 hour shift tomorrow lol

It's not mentioned that often but the Ubisoft Naruto games on Xbox 360 were surprisingly really good when they released.
Yeah, I wish I still had a 360 to try and play those again. I played the first one when it was still kinda new, because that was around the time I tried watching the anime, so I appreciated parts of the game because I was familiar with at least some of it at the time.

Last edited:
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, especially if you're a Yakuza fan, can even play the game with a Kiryu skin.

Astro Boy: Omega Factor on GBA.

Shantae

Banned
Just played through an arcade mode of DB Fighterz cuz I haven't played it in a while, and this thread made me wanna give it a go again. I'm not very good at fighting games, just kinda button mashed my way through it, but I'll be damned if it's not flashy, lol.

Android 21 was made up for this game, right? She isn't in any of the shows/movies? Just thinking that's a shame, because I love her design.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Nitroplus Blasterz -Heroines Infinite Duel- for PS3/PS4/PC has lots of Anime/Manga characters and is a really good 2D fighter.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
The naruto ninja storm games are actually what got me into the anime, so thts a good sign.
That's actually information I was looking for, because of all the stuff on sale on the shop, those are the ones that keep standing out to me. 3 games for $20, tempting, and maybe would get me interested in checking the series out again.

Don't have a 360 to try those Ubi Soft games again either.

ref

Not based on an anime (but has an anime adaption based on the game). If you like turn based action strategy games:

UntUiBtO2I_719x0.jpg

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Most anime-manga based games are mostly mediocre to horrible.
if you need a time killer play Azur Lane or something.
Let’s just say this more of Yakuza team’s take on the series rather than trying to be faithful to it.
lol yes

Shantae

Banned
Is any of the DLC for DB Xenoverse 2 worth getting? some of that is on sale too, but even at half price, I have a hard time buying any of em because I don't know if they're worth it. I've owned the main game on Switch for a long time, but I keep saying to myself "well I'll start playing once I get the DLC..." and that day never comes, and I'd like to play it again.

Top Bottom