• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/age-of-empires-online-info

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down. Please visit the Age of Empires Online forums for additional details.

I assume all GFWL games will be shut down. RIP Dark Souls.

Crayons

Banned
iuND2fB.gif

Eusis

And this will forever be pointed at as THE ultimate reason to hate GFWL: Microsoft is flaky with long term support, and could potentially kill several games because of how this had to be implemented in many of them and the fact many developers/publishers may not care to actually get it patched out.

its good news that microsoft is depreciating gfwl....

its kind of bad news that these gfwl games (which a lot of them are pretty great!) are effectively going to be crippled and or possibly not work at all (without cracking) due to microsoft pulling the plug. hopefully most of these games get patched with steamworks or people find new means of playing them.

kadotsu

Banned
Time to finish Dirt 3, Bulletstorm, Viva Pinata, cheat all Fallout 3 Achievements and make sure to never buy anything from a MS ecosystem again.

Alec

AoE Online is a solid game. I would hate to be one of the people who spent a ton on all that DLC, only to have this happen.

So basically I have a year to play all my unfinished GFWL games. Fuck you MS for such a shitty service! What they should do is release a patch to remove GFWL authentication so that we can continue playing our games at least in offline mode.

Alastor

Can you save in Dark Souls when you're offline? I remember the message that warns about it when game loads.

If you can, it's not that big deal. Game is perfectly playable offline anyway.

So do they have any contingency plans for the dozens of GFWL games that require online activation to be installed?

I'm guessing not.

legacyzero

Banned
So basically I have a year to play all my unfinished GFWL games. Fuck you MS for such a shitty service! What they should do is release a patch to remove GFWL authentication so that we can continue playing our games at least in offline mode.
This. I'm worried about my fav games that actually use this shit (IE Fallout 3)

AoE Online is a solid game. I would hate to be one of the people who spent a ton on all that DLC, only to have this happen.

How can they not patch in other server options?

Like let customers run their own servers

It's a PC game!

We've been running our own servers on PC games for more than a decade

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So does this mean my copy of Viva Pinata for Windows is useless after July 1st 2014?

Eusis

Can you save in Dark Souls when you're offline? I remember the message that warns about it when game loads.

If you can, it's not that big deal. Game is perfectly playable offline anyway.
The problem seemed to be that you couldn't even play the game short of logging in THEN pulling the plug on your internet or otherwise disabling it. However I do expect that at worst they could just patch out the need to use GFWL even if there's no online afterwards, the game was always more online augmented than online dependent anyway.
As long as you can play offline/single player after this I only see it as a good thing.
Most - if not all - GFWL games simply will not let you play without first logging in, which is where the problem is.

So the biggest loser from this is potentially Rockstar, with GTA IV being a strong performer in sales charts and multiplayer leaderboards. WIll they do anything about it? I'd love to hear their take on this news.

As for me, I'm going to try and make the most of Dark Souls before the sequel comes out.
Is this true...?
I mean I have yet to play the game on PC online, but do a lot of people play online on PC? I know a lot of people do on PS3.
Yes there is a community.

Top Bottom