• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live Update Released with New Interface

sk3tch

I was playing some Fallout 3 this morning and I was prompted for an update...it was a new Games for Windows Live Redistributable.

Here are pics of the new interface:

[click thumbnail to enlarge]

Welcome screen:

Standard interface (after pressing Home button):

Settings (clicking version info goes back to the welcome screen, heh):

I couldn't find any release notes or anything...but seeing as 1.2 was released in December '07, we're due for an update. Coinciding with the new Xbox 360 update that's releasing in a few days?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Dude, I still don't really like GFW:L, but this looks so much better than the 360 port that it formally was.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
sk3tch said:
Sorry dude. I searched for games, windows, and live and the GAF search blew up. Then I went through and did ctrl-F on each of the last three pages looking for "live" - sure enough you didn't have that in your title!

Oops.

Lock 'er up.

Nah its cool. I think we're one of the only 10 people in the world who use GFW Live. :p

Crisco said:
Does anyone actually use this over Steam? I find that mind boggling.

I'm an Achievement whore, so why not!

sk3tch

Crisco said:

It's not really the same thing. In fact, you can buy Fallout 3 (among other games) which are Games for Windows Live games right on Steam.

Steam = distribution (i.e. GameStop) and MORE (of course...they're their own network, too)
Games for Windows Live = network (i.e. Xbox Live or PSN) and MORE

Crisco

Banned
McBacon said:
I'm an Achievement whore, so why not!

Hmmm, this is a legit reason I guess, even though I personally don't understand the obsession over achievements/trophies. Valve should go the extra mile and incorporate GFW achievements into Steam for all the games available on it, same as Orange Box.

sk3tch said:
It's not really the same thing. In fact, you can buy Fallout 3 (among other games) which are Games for Windows Live games right on Steam.

Steam = distribution (i.e. GameStop) and MORE (of course...they're their own network, too)
Games for Windows Live = network (i.e. Xbox Live or PSN)

The community aspect confuses things a bit though. But yeah, GFWL is sort of there if you want access to your 360 friends list and achievements, or not if you don't want to use it.

kuYuri

Update took long enough to release.

Though I could have sworn this update was also to make GFWL a standalone program you can open. Guess not.

Crisco said:

Most of my friends are on 360 most of the time. This lets me see what they are doing and for us to message each other. GFW Live is awesome for 360 gamers that also do some gaming on the PC.

And yes, I'm on Steam as well. I don't view GFW Live as competition for Steam so much as something different.

Struct09

Crisco said:

They aren't mutually exclusive services. I still run the Steam overlay while playing GFWL games, works great.

Anyway, I love the new interface, very slick. I want to see more GFWL games!

b.e.r.g

I never liked the idea of Microsoft taking over my PC gaming experience. The more decisions Microsoft ends up calling, the more money we end up paying. They have monopoly enough! I never missed any XBL clone for the PC!

Anyway, since it's still free, I guess it's a nice upgrade...

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Yeah, Steam and GFW:L aren't really equivalent. It took me awhile to realize that GWF:L isn't even a standalone app...it's just built into supported games. That being said, it's nice to be able to access my 360 friends list (and send messages) through the PC version of Fallout 3.

On another note, has anyone been able to get private chat working between a PC and a 360 using a 360 controller/mic on the PC? Whenever I try, I hear the person I'm chatting with through my speakers but they can't hear me. At the same time, I've verified that the mic works by recording myself in Windows.

kuYuri

Minotauro said:
Yeah, Steam and GFW:L aren't really equivalent. It took me awhile to realize that GWF:L isn't even a standalone app...it's just built into supported games. That being said, it's nice to be able to access my 360 friends list (and send messages) through the PC version of Fallout 3.

On another note, has anyone been able to get private chat working between a PC and a 360 using a 360 controller/mic on the PC? Whenever I try, I hear the person I'm chatting with through my speakers but they can't hear me. At the same time, I've verified that the mic works by recording myself in Windows.

I had this problem before. My friend managed to make it so that voice chat comes through headset rather than speakers, but I'd have to ask him.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
And yes, I'm on Steam as well. I don't view GFW Live as competition for Steam so much as something different.

Yeah, there is some overlap, but the two do co-exist well when one is a purchase/delievery agent and the other is a backend network.

We'll all be using GFW Live when Dawn of War II, game of the forever, comes out. It's free now and seems to work fine now for the other games I've used it with (Universe at War, Viva Pinata PC, etc.) .

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Crisco said:

Oh, over steam. I got Fallout 3 (and Universe at War) through Steam, and GFW live is part of the package. I can access my Steam friends list and my 360 friends list in one game... WACKY!!

Thomper

So... is Games for Windows Live Arcade up yet? That's the only part of this promised fall update I was interested in. Can't seem to find anything about it yet, though.

sk3tch

Thomper said:
So... is Games for Windows Live Arcade up yet? That's the only part of this promised fall update I was interested in. Can't seem to find anything about it yet, though.

Not that I can see.

Guy Legend said:
Any new features? I remember hearing that they were going to do a GFW Live store.

Nothing new that I can find. Just an updated interface, which, unfortunately, is still hard to manipulate with a mouse and keyboard! It has floaty click areas...hard to explain but if you use it you'll know. Frustrating. Definitely designed to be utilized with a 360 pad.

Struct09

sk3tch said:
Nothing new that I can find. Just an updated interface, which, unfortunately, is still hard to manipulate with a mouse and keyboard! It has floaty click areas...hard to explain but if you use it you'll know. Frustrating. Definitely designed to be utilized with a 360 pad.

For some reason I only have that problem with Fallout 3. The click areas are fine in Gears of War.

sk3tch

Struct09 said:
For some reason I only have that problem with Fallout 3. The click areas are fine in Gears of War.

Ahh...that would make sense then. I've only used G4WL a couple times before and never remembered it to be such an issue. Well, Bethesda has plenty of other PC version problems with Fallout 3 so I doubt the "floaty click area" prob will be addressed any time soon! :)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
sk3tch said:
Well, Bethesda has plenty of other PC version problems with Fallout 3

Like what? Outside of a few crashes, which are probably just my PC, I havn't noticed anything.

sk3tch

McBacon said:
Like what? Outside of a few crashes, which are probably just my PC, I havn't noticed anything.

You're lucky, then! Peek around the official forums or do a Google search. I, for one, could not even run the game until I uninstalled a couple of programs (ASUS video card utilities and such). A lot of people are experiencing lock ups, texture glitches, and save files that don't work with the update.

Once I got my initial installation problems solved, it has been smooth sailing for me. Knock on wood.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
sk3tch said:
You're lucky, then! Peek around the official forums or do a Google search. I, for one, could not even run the game until I uninstalled a couple of programs (ASUS video card utilities and such). A lot of people are experiencing lock ups, texture glitches, and save files that don't work with the update.

Once I got my initial installation problems solved, it has been smooth sailing for me. Knock on wood.

Crikey! Nah, been smooth sailing here.

Struct09

I have about 25 hours logged into the PC version and have only seen about 3 random crashes. Other than that, smooth sailing for me as well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55877

Steam currently features no priced DLC, a fact which Microsoft hopes to exploit with both publishers and customers by rolling out DLC support ahead of full distribution. For instance, though Games for Windows Live exclusivity does not preclude the titles such as Fallout 3 from being sold on Steam, Fallout 3's DLC will only be available on Microsoft's GFW Live Marketplace.

Oh fun.

xemumanic

fizzelopeguss said:
They gonna build this into windows 7?

This is a very good question. They should have implemented this sort of thing into the Games Explorer in Vista, and it damn well better be in the Windows 7 Games Explorer.

CoG

Still freaks me out when I hit the guide button on my 360 controller when playing Fallout 3 on the PC.

fizzelopeguss said:
They gonna build this into windows 7?

It's OS independent, so yes.

However, where is the standalone client and marketplace like they promised? I hope that's still coming before the end of the year... :(

*Edit* Also, everyone needs to know that MS cannot build this into Windows 7 itself as part of the Games Explorer, as they could easily get sued for being anti-competitive with Steam. Thus, it will stay separate from the core OS, and I can tell you that the Guide and such is definitely not built into Win7 and there are absolutely no plans for it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
sk3tch said:

Only problem ive had is what seems to be audio codec problems that cause either sound distortion or crashes. Doesnt happen often but its annoying. I had the same problem with Oblivion.

mr stroke

does this work for anything I am playing while in Vista and will it show friends playing other non GFW games? or is it only for "GFW" branded games?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
FUCK YEAH!
mr stroke said:
does this work for anything I am playing while in Vista and will it show friends playing other non GFW games? or is it only for "GFW" branded games?
All "Live" games.

Omikaru

Ikuu said:
Doesn't GFW LIVE work on the Steam version of Fallout 3 though? I think what MS means, is that the DLC will be sold through them as opposed to being sold through Steam.

It's not like the DLC won't work if you decided to buy the D2D or Steam versions of Fallout 3... at least that's my understanding of it. You just need a LIVE account and that should work for any version.

Edit: Though paid-for PC DLC? Not good.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Omikaru said:
Doesn't GFW LIVE work on the Steam version of Fallout 3 though? I think what MS means, is that the DLC will be sold through them as opposed to being sold through Steam.

It's not like the DLC won't work if you decided to buy the D2D or Steam versions of Fallout 3... at least that's my understanding of it. You just need a LIVE account and that should work for any version.

Edit: Though paid-for PC DLC? Not good.
The Oblivion DLC was already premium dlc, so I do not see why people are complaining.

sk3tch

~Kinggi~ said:
Only problem ive had is what seems to be audio codec problems that cause either sound distortion or crashes. Doesnt happen often but its annoying. I had the same problem with Oblivion.

That was traced back to a codec pack. I can't remember what I used to have, but when I switched to the K-Lite codec pack for Vista (and the x64 add-on) I didn't have any issues. I found that "fix" in the Bethesda forums.

EDIT: a ton of great resources for issues here...you do have to dig, though... :(

xemumanic

Iced_Eagle said:
*Edit* Also, everyone needs to know that MS cannot build this into Windows 7 itself as part of the Games Explorer, as they could easily get sued for being anti-competitive with Steam. Thus, it will stay separate from the core OS, and I can tell you that the Guide and such is definitely not built into Win7 and there are absolutely no plans for it.

How true, and yet totally fucked up and unfair.

.......but wait, whats this gotta do with Steam? You can BUY GFWL games ON Steam.

mr stroke

godhandiscen said:
FUCK YEAH!

All "Live" games.

WTF?
seems pointless if its only for GFW games considering there are very few that most people even play. I hope MS puts something like this in there "games" tab for Windows 7(because if its built in a lot of people will use it)

kuYuri

mr stroke said:
WTF?
seems pointless if its only for GFW games considering there are very few that most people even play. I hope MS puts something like this in there "games" tab for Windows 7(because if its built in a lot of people will use it)

GFWL games are clearly labeled on the retail box, if that's what you mean. There aren't many games out that support it, but it seems MS is stepping it up this Fall with Fallout 3, Quantum of Solace, and GTAIV supporting it. Only in time will we know just how many more games can we expect to see use it.

Fragamemnon said:
Yeah, there is some overlap, but the two do co-exist well when one is a purchase/delievery agent and the other is a backend network.

We'll all be using GFW Live when Dawn of War II, game of the forever, comes out. It's free now and seems to work fine now for the other games I've used it with (Universe at War, Viva Pinata PC, etc.) .

But.... I plan on buying Dawn of War II, game of the forever on Steam... so what happens there? I'd like to avoid GFWL if I could.

Spruce Moose said:
But.... I plan on buying Dawn of War II, game of the forever on Steam... so what happens there? I'd like to avoid GFWL if I could.

You don't have to use the GFWL features. Just ignore them.

Top Bottom