• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games get announced way too early and more should follow Crash Bandicoot 4's lead

Crash Bandicoot 4 was teased on Jun 8th, revealed on June 22nd, and released on October 2nd. All in 2020. 4 months separating the reveal from release and I wish more games did that.

I dislike the modern marketing of games where they "tease" something years before even a release date. Take TES VI for example. The game was teased on June 10th, 2018. Over 2 years later, still nothing about the game. What was the point? It's not like we didn't know TES VI was coming.

Another culprit is the recent teaser-trailer for God of War: Ragnarok. Well duh, we KNEW it was in the works. You ain't telling us a damn thing with a teaser.

How about Fable? Teased in the summer of 2020 but we know it won't see the light of day until 2022 at the earliest.

What's the point of this thread? Honestly not sure. I just can't care when a game is teased without a snippet of gameplay and no release date. Cyberpunk was teased in like 2013.

Thoughts and feelings about the timeframe games are teased/announced/shown?

Last edited:

Hudo

Look at FF16, it's crazy that it was announced and we were shown actual game footage. While people were being bitches about "muh graphix!!!1", they didn't realize that actual graphics were shown DURING THE ANNOUNCEMENT! A Square Enix project that didn't just drop a CGI trailer saying "see you in 10 years, lol". So I guess that the industry is actually going the route of short times between announcement and release. Let's see whether Sony can do the same or if God of War: Raganrök is released in 2025.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm the opposite just say a game is getting made even if its years off, like in the film industry. What's the point in keeping it secret.

Self

I think an announcement is okay but don't show anything until the release is imminent.

Personally I don't need any announcement without actual gameplay footage.
But the hype machine needs to be up and running, so...

thelastword

Banned
I think it's their game, they can announce it when they want, unless it gets into ridiculous waiting times and cryogen chamber status territory like Star Citizen. Sometimes a teaser trailer is just, "yes, we are working on something".......And if you have been following the industry for a bit you can learn lots from how far a game is from a teaser too, how much it was being rumored before the teaser.....Like I can tell you, GOW 2 is much further along in development than Fable. In terms of visuals, I can say the same about GT7 vs Forza 8......

GymWolf

I get your point, but i don't mind being hyped for a couple of years before getting the game, the wait is part of the fun and the more hype the more fun when the game comes out and it's actually good.

Aggelos

What's the point of this thread? Honestly not sure. I just can't care when a game is teased without a snippet of gameplay and no release date. Cyberpunk was teased in like 2013.
And if it was only Cyberpunk 2077.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus was teased at E3 2006. But when did it come out? A Tetsuya Nomura project initially, mind you.

Kingdom Hearts III was unveiled and teased at E3 2013.

Final Fantasy VII Remake was unveiled and teased at E3 2015.

or how about the Last of Us Part II? It was teased at PlayStation Experience 2016.

So what? That some companies announce games that still have years of development ahead of them and we should be feeling disgruntled and mad about it?
Theoretically speaking, many companies could announce/unveil their games at a later development stage, when they're close to releasing. But they're not doing it for marketing reasons.

I dislike the modern marketing of games where they "tease" something years before even a release date.

You said it yourself that you don't like their marketing strategy. But, even though people dislike such a marketing strategy, they keep doing it. They create desire, they create hunger and thirst.
And of course what people dislike is the wait that is actually killing them, this feeling "OMG, the wait is killing me, man..." is what makes them pissed and mad about the whole shebang. Eventually, someday, the game will come out and they're gonna buy it. Maybe that's the whole point of the marketing strategy: plant the seed of desire in their brain so that it lingers and slowly simmers there, so that inwardly they're burning with want, wish, need, craving, thirstiness, yearning and desire.

chikydee

Neo Member
I agree, don't like having to wait months or years between an announcement and the release of a game. There should be some kind of time limit.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Look at FF16, it's crazy that it was announced and we were shown actual game footage. While people were being bitches about "muh graphix!!!1", they didn't realize that actual graphics were shown DURING THE ANNOUNCEMENT! A Square Enix project that didn't just drop a CGI trailer saying "see you in 10 years, lol". So I guess that the industry is actually going the route of short times between announcement and release. Let's see whether Sony can do the same or if God of War: Raganrök is released in 2025.
Let's be real here knowing squenx that game won't be out for another 10 years.

Suicide Squad Kills The Justice League recently fucked up with this.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Not all games can get away with that, especially those that don't have as big a brand as Crash Bandicoot.

Hudo

Let's be real here knowing squenx that game won't be out for another 10 years.

Suicide Squad Kills The Justice League recently fucked up with this.
Well, you're right that with SQEX, you never know but Yoshi-P said that he's aware of the long dev times, which is why he wanted to show actual gameplay, so we've got that at least.
What happened with Suicide Squad Kills The Justice League? I haven't been following that. Did they push it back?

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced because Bethesda knew some people would not be happy with the Fallout 76 announcement.

Fable and God of War were announced because they need all ammo they can get to sell their new consoles.

Cyberpunk is lol, but that trailer did generate ridiculous hype and it hasn’t let up to this day.

So blame the players, not the publishers.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with the OP. It’s very annoying to announce something in 2020 only for it to materialize several or many years later. See this cool looking game? Well, enjoy our CGI teaser and we can’t wait for you to play it in 2030.......hopefully. Please understand and feel the mega-excitement!!!

It also increases expectations and disappoints more when the game isn’t as good as anticipated or normally because the wait is so elongated. I hope Cyberpunk turns out good because wasn’t it teased like in 2023 or something? Wow.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To say a game should follow another games lead is ridiculous crash is 1000% fun that’s it somehow now a game is released is more important now I don’t have problem how they’re teased released whatever

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s true. The biggest reason I want a ps5 is because of the FF which won’t come out for years more than likely.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Paper Mario Origami King was announced in May and released in July.

This.

I mean Nintendo has been doing that for ages. So cool to see it for Crash, but it's not new.

Top Bottom