• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games in which you rescue others as part of the gameplay

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

In fact, you not only rescue people during gameplay but it actually affects gameplay whether you choose when you rescue them to have them join you, kill them and consume their soul or ignore them.

It even affects the ending based on those choices.

So rescuing/not rescuing is not only during gameplay but affects it and results in one of many endings.

Besides that rescuing everyone even gives you a whole new final stage on the next playthrough so there's that too.

How bow dat!?

Edit: It's five bux on eShop right now too.

Last edited:

Mexen

Hey GAF, a random thread idea came to mind. Which games feature rescuing others as part of the gameplay? Megaman X5 and X6 come to mind. Also The Wonderful 101. And The Stretchers for Switch too. What about you, GAF? Which games do you know about that feature rescuing others as part of the gameplay?
I'm playing through Spec Ops: The Line. Does that count?

Edit: oh.
Um... Abe's Odyssey. Ocarina of Time. Horizon Zero Dawn. MGS V.

Last edited:

intbal

Rainbow Six. Most of them. But the first one is still the best.

SWAT: Global Strike Team on PS2/Xbox. Similar to the R6 formula.

Trilobit

Disaster Report series.
iT1bVCp.jpg

The Switch version looked very interesting, but seems like it has horrendous framerate.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Yes how did it take so long for this to be mentioned. The hand holding mechanic was great.

I can hear people arguing SoC as well but again I would argue that saving someone is the narrative premise while the gameplay itself consists entirely of murder and traversal.

Ico you are literally rescuing a damsel in distress the entire game and need to lead her by hand
i mentioned it first

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
All the great SEGA lightgun games like the House of the Dead and Virtua Cop and Ghost Squad etc. have many instances where quick reflexes and/or precision aiming saves folks from zombie/terror/whatever attacks and results in stuff like health/score bonuses or even alternate level routes.

Last edited:

Bridges

67783-dead-rising-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

Dead Rising stands out in my mind, up until Case West it was a huge part of the series to save NPCs in trouble and guide them back to the safehouse. Very tense stuff (especially with how bad that AI was in the first game)

Last edited:

Armorous

ARK: Survival Evolved

There are some great stories on their forums of people being held prisoner by tribes and the amount of effort it took to rescue them. Never played the game but those are still funny to read.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Ace Combat 7: you actually have to rescue the president of your fictional nation in a mission called "Rescue" with a kickass music named as "Rescue" which you'll eventually fail and it will boot one of the major plots about this game.

the music:

It makes you play the game with you peepe hard.

PooBone

2361877-nes_jackal.jpg

I loved busting out the prisoners, getting them in your jeep, then dropping them off at the rescue chopper.

PooBone

2362155-nes_rescuetheembassymission.jpg

Literally the entire premise and title of the game is rescuing hostages. Excellent soundtrack, the first level where you're getting snipers in position is one of the coolest levels in NES history.

Top Bottom