• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wainwright responds in twitter "Apology accepted" and something in the vain of applying her law classes to use.

How horrible. Journalists hate the fucking libel laws over here; the only reason she learnt she could do something were the same reason journalists would prefer the law was changed. She probably only learnt those to stop the same thing happening to her.

What a load of crap. Poor Eurogamer and poor Florence.

JDSN

Banned
I'll do a short recap:

• Keighley surrounded by doritos followed by gaming bloggers retweeting a hashtag for advertising to win a PS3 makes Florence of Eurogamer curious.
  • Florence writes an article saying how things are shady and some sound like straight up PR e.g. Wainright orgasms for everything Squenix.
  • Eurogamer/Wainwright send libel threats to Eurogamer, at which the article was edited to remove mentioning of Wainright.
  • Wainwright responds in twitter "Apology accepted" and something in the vain of applying her law classes to use.
  • Florence either steps down or is forced to resign to avoid any libel threat.
  • Both sides deny any threat or are not talking about it directly, but twitter posts hint that such threat existed. Florence is not confirming or denying whether he was fired or he stepped down.
  • "GAF and 4chan combine forces to see this standalone complex issue" alongside digital protest from Penny Arcade and more, showing what happened.
  • Florence's profile shows she is a freelancer for Square Enix. She admitted it and denied doing any reviews for Square Enix or shilling (she is wrong. She reviewed Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and did countless previews).
  • All this fiasco is too much for her and she privatize her twitter account. Next thing you know, she starts deleting tweets, videos and articles, and edits her profile to remove any mention of Square Enix freelancing.
  • David Jaffe offers Keighley Mountain Dew.
  • Gaming journalism.

I know he has a lady's name.

JABEE

I tend to be on friendly terms with PR people without going to Hawaii. I see them a lot. They're typically very nice, and a lot of them are helpful and good at their jobs. I'm also pretty candid with them and don't hide what I think about a game until it's review time, which a lot of them seem to appreciate. I've given a lot of very low scores and only had one instance where a publisher bitched about it (none of which was EA, by the way, or Capcom).

It's hard to explain how these events work, mentally speaking, but I am a hundred percent serious when I say they are more often a pain in the ass than anything else. And the place I'm playing a game hasn't once had an impact on how I felt about it. It didn't make Dragon's Dogma better, it didn't make Lost Planet 2 better. In fact, events like this and their regimented schedules tend to stress me out more than local events. I have a ton of shit to get done in a very compact schedule.

I understand why people think these trips make press more likely to like things, but if you look at the coverage coming out of them, that influence is virtually never borne out. At least not while I've been active in the press. I don't want to write off the possibility that someone could be influenced, but I've never seen it happen. I think people are much more likely to be led astray or into hyberbole by their enthusiasm for specific things, which is not going to go away. It's an opinion driven industry. Opinions owe as large a part to enthusiasm as anything.

I guess it depends on if you are professional about what you are doing and have the support system that allows you to cover games objectively. I know for a fact that people who aren't experienced at writing for press outlets and have no formal training on the tenants of journalism would go to these events and just be excited that they were important enough to get a free trip out of it. That if they wanted to advance in the industry from blog writing and go to these industry events that they would feel obligated to copy down a press release or review games favorably.

The fact that those things happen have to be worrisome when you're working in an industry where PR people try to get certain people to write reviews and have scouting reports on all of the journalists. I think the first article was right, that there probably needs to be a little less chumminess among press and publishers/developers. Sometimes it's hard for people to recognize how their relationships with the people and products that writers cover can subconsciously influence what you write.

I think that the general "fanboy" behavior is probably the biggest problem though. It's just like when you're covering sports. No cheering in the press box. Most people who write about sports were probably a fan at some point, but you have to put that aside when you try to objectively analyze something. It can cause issues if you're expectations are too high or too low. It damages the credibility of the writer and cuts the legs out from their analysis.

Accoun

If I am correct, someone mentioned since being discovered.
It's still listed in her portfolio on her blog, though. Wonder if it will be pulled out, too...

nn7VK.jpg

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I dunno, it just seems cruel to pick on a low-level person like this Lauren girl on all this. She's not even anyone important, and in the grand scheme of things doesn't fucking matter. You go from attacking a prominent name like Keighly and then turning the focus into some stupid tweets some girl made to get a free PS3.

Honestly, I don't even care.. it's not like anything she does requires ethics.

I know GAF is all GAME JOURNALISM: SERIOUS BUSINESS.. but it's games... and in the end it's entertainment... and if you really think big reviews are all biased.. then we have GAF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only reading through the first and last pages, but this post seems ridiculous. There is a difference between calling someone out and going on some witch hunt that involves cyberstalking and investigating them for the sole purpose defaming them.

People digging through her LinkedIn and other profiles are just anonymous assholes that get their rocks off by humiliating others, that behavior should never be tolerated and I can't believe anyone defends trying to ruin the career of another - especially over something as stupid and petty as games criticism.

Guarantee that if these people doing the stalking were publicly known people, they wouldn't say shit.

What does any of that have to do with anything? You call it stalking, but she's putting that information out there publicly. She has a degree in journalism and operates in PR yet doesn't know how to keep shit private on the Internet?

If you don't want people calling you out for bullshit, then don't act a fool or decide to be an arrogant asshole on a public forum (Twitter).

I dunno, it just seems cruel to pick on a low-level person like this Lauren girl on all this. She's not even anyone important, and in the grand scheme of things doesn't fucking matter. You go from attacking a prominent name like Keighly and then turning the focus into some stupid tweets some girl made to get a free PS3.

I know GAF is all GAME JOURNALISM: SERIOUS BUSINESS.. but it's games... and in the end it's entertainment... and if you really think big review are all biased.. then we have GAF.

So let people get away with lying and being assholes, stop taking your hobby seriously, and stop trying to improve the state of coverage your hobby gets? Ok...

JimFear

Banned
Giantbomb are good friend of people working at harmonix and double fine and they still review game from them...

I think its a big problem in the industry... There is no "wall" between those who make the game and those who critic the game.

I love that Keighley image so much. It still makes me chuckle. It totally is like something out of Idiocracy even without any questions of journalism coming up.

What in the hell is the original context anyway?

For the record, the fact that there is fucking Halo Mountain Dew should get even more shit. That is the dumbest product placement shillmanship I have ever seen.

I remember when Disney got shit for the consumer tie ins for the Lorax movie but it is NOTHING compared to the way Master Chief is whored out.

I know GAF is all GAME JOURNALISM: SERIOUS BUSINESS.. but it's games... and in the end it's entertainment... and if you really think big review are all biased.. then we have GAF.

I'm not saying her specifically, and she may be low-level now, but if this sort of reality didn't hit her so hard, what's to stop her from continuing in the industry and moving upwards but never learning about conflict of interest? Today's small time writers are tomorrow's industry leaders.

I'm sorry, it IS a serious business. I know you say that in jest but this IS a billion dollar industry that most of us here love.

I agree on not picking on her; but she's digging a really deep hole. It's like watching a person painting herself red to camouflage herself from a shooting squad in a blue room.

I agree with this except the fact that game writing doesn't require ethics. Yeah, we shouldn't pick on one lone girl, but now that publishers tie a studio's livelihood with the journalist review score there's no way that corruption hasn't formed. And this corruption that has built up can effect what in the future is being develop, and the direction of the game industry can be influenced by people I don't even care about.

BigDes

I know GAF is all GAME JOURNALISM: SERIOUS BUSINESS.. but it's games... and in the end it's entertainment... and if you really think big reviews are all biased.. then we have GAF.

Gonna have to explain this

So is Lauren popular with the gaming community because she looks like a 14 year old lolitart and apparently makes some sort of fake orgasm sound, or because she actually has something to offer?

I've never heard of her until today, but I could suggest she do some "promotion" for MTN Dew involving some lube, a 2 litre, and those hnnngngngng sounds. Would probably do gangbusters and revive her cred in the community in the process..

Fistwell

HNGNHNHNGNGHNGH

if only there was something showing her saying she was working for SE AND writing about their games at the same time. oh wait, there is. http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/atheistium/the-lauren-chronicles-a-few-life-updates/30-91806/

so that's her Sun Deus EX review, Tomb Raider hype and FF13-2 consultancy all in one post

well, I'm out
Good job!
HNGNHNHNGNGHNGH

Giantbomb are good friend of people working at harmonix and double fine and they still review game from them...

I think its a big problem in the industry... There is no "wall" between those who make the game and those who critic the game.
Balotelli... ?

Effnine

I know GAF is all GAME JOURNALISM: SERIOUS BUSINESS.. but it's games... and in the end it's entertainment...

This type of mentality is what got us in this mess. Yes, games are entertainment. Who makes those games? Companies. Who stands to profit from slanted/influenced coverage? Companies. Who stands to lose from continued sub-par games that get to slide thanks to said media coverage? Consumers.

This is a bigger issue than Lauren, she just happens to be a prime example right now.

JABEE

y8Bj8.png

HNGNHNHNGNGHNGH

if only there was something showing her saying she was working for SE AND writing about their games at the same time. oh wait, there is. http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/atheistium/the-lauren-chronicles-a-few-life-updates/30-91806/

so that's her Sun Deus EX review, Tomb Raider hype and FF13-2 consultancy all in one post

well, I'm out

ugh. That is shady as hell. Freelancers are permitted by media outlets to work as consultants on the side for companies that the outlet covers on a consistent basis?

BearPawB

Banned
I'm sorry, it IS a serious business. I know you say that in jest but this IS a billion dollar industry that most of us here love.

I agree on not picking on her; but she's digging a really deep hole. It's like watching a person painting herself red to camouflage herself from a shooting squad in a blue room.

I love it because it is fun. Not because its a paragon of morality

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

We caught that the first time you posted this on this alt Balotelli, why go there again?

JimFear

Banned
game journalist dont like to word "blogger" so they call themself "journalist" just for their own ego but at the end of the day... They do the same thing as the person who run a little website on his own on blogspot... Except the "game journalist" receive stuff and free games from company...
Oh and they also have acces as behind the door preview a E3. But still... They are blogger.

You will never see a so called journo challenged people at EA or Ubisoft about things that matter ... No when they do an interview with these guy its always the kind of verry basic question like "what will be the difference between assassin creed revelation and 3". They are really gentle with them and dont push the questions too far...

i am still catching up, but i just wanted to post to say i love this thread. beyond giving us a forum to discuss what i think is a pretty important element preventing video games from getting the respect they deserve from the broader population, it is allowed me to determine who among my fellow gaffers has integrity, who enjoys being taken advantage of by corporations, and who has issues with reading comprehension.

It's amazing what's happened to the integrity of an article that was looking at the integrity of games journalism.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

Still my favourite review of all time, I love you Rab!

*continues to miss consolevania*

Rab Florence is the same guy who once wrote a poem about Dark Souls in excitement at the game coming to PC. His point isn't at all that people writing about games shouldn't show enthusiasm.

It's just as impressive, if not more so. Freelance writers aren't generally swamped in a deluge of work, so for Rab Florence to refuse to put his columns on one of the biggest gaming sites on the web speaks to how adamant he is.

i didnt realize these were from that guy. good taste in games beyond his integrity.

JDSN

Banned

I guess we are gonna need a clearer summary because I think you are missing the part in which Lauren's actions lead to the editing of decent editorial piece, a libel treat and a fine journalist pontentially leaving the industry. If your suggestion is being indifferent, maybe you should do the same with this thread.

I've never heard of her until today, but I could suggest she do some "promotion" for MTN Dew involving some lube, a 2 litre, and those hnnngngngng sounds. Would probably do gangbusters and revive her cred in the community in the process..

Dont an idiot.

He needs to be holding one of these

moutain-dew-dorito-cupcakes.jpg

This is easily the most shocking thing I've seen in this thread. And from what I've seen of the recipe, it's one big sugary mess. Just the thought of caramelized Mountain Dew makes me shiver a little. And yet, I want to try one. I wonder if it tastes like debasement.

FStop7

Banned
I'll do a short recap:

• Keighley surrounded by doritos followed by gaming bloggers retweeting a hashtag for advertising to win a PS3 makes Florence of Eurogamer curious.
  • Florence writes an article saying how things are shady and some sound like straight up PR e.g. Wainright orgasms for everything Squenix.
  • Eurogamer/Wainwright send libel threats to Eurogamer, at which the article was edited to remove mentioning of Wainright.
  • Wainwright responds in twitter "Apology accepted" and something in the vain of applying her law classes to use.
  • Florence either steps down or is forced to resign to avoid any libel threat.
  • Both sides deny any threat or are not talking about it directly, but twitter posts hint that such threat existed. Florence is not confirming or denying whether he was fired or he stepped down.
  • "GAF and 4chan combine forces to see this standalone complex issue" alongside digital protest from Penny Arcade and more, showing what happened.
  • Wainwright's profile shows she is a freelancer for Square Enix. She admitted it and denied doing any reviews for Square Enix or shilling (she is wrong. She reviewed Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and did countless previews).
  • All this fiasco is too much for her and she privatize her twitter account. Next thing you know, she starts deleting tweets, videos and articles, and edits her profile to remove any mention of Square Enix freelancing.
  • David Jaffe offers Keighley Mountain Dew.
  • Gaming journalism.

jJxFEZBsYMNvt.jpg

On Giant Bomb's quicklook of the new Medal of Honor, they start by eating pizza that they say EA sent them because they knew they were doing the quicklook. Maybe I missed the joke, but I was surprised by that. This stuff seems to happen all the fucking time. Seems small, but when it's rampant like it apparently is, all these little things start adding up.

King_Moc

Banned
Wow, no integrity whatsoever. Girl's an absolute bellend.

Also, she works for The Sun, IGN and Gamespot? She must be absolutely fucking terrible.

Now that it transpires Rab was 100% correct in what wasn't even an accusation, EG should take him back on and tell her to fuck her lawsuit.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://i.imgur.com/y8Bj8.png[IMG]

HNGNHNHNGNGHNGH

if only there was something showing her saying she was working for SE AND writing about their games at the same time. oh wait, there is. [url]http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/atheistium/the-lauren-chronicles-a-few-life-updates/30-91806/[/url]

well, I'm out[/QUOTE]
So I guess IGN didn't bat an eyelid that she was also doing work for S-E on the side while writing an article on an S-E game?

[quote="DangerStepp, post: 43603089"]Also, this happened about an hour or so ago:

[IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/dangerstepp/ckTWEET.jpg

Poetry in motion...

Konami are trying to fool the gaming press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom