• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
One games journalist, Lauren Wainwright, tweeted: "Urm... Trion were giving away PS3s to journalists at the GMAs. Not sure why that's a bad thing?"
If this quote of what she said is correct she should own up to it instead of threatening Eurogamer.

If you can stand by your words what is the problem?

Cartman86

Banned
Libel laws in the UK rearing their ugly head?

Is it me or has Twitter become a "You can't take anything said on my twitter as serious or real ever" machine?

Larsen B

What Rab wrote was hardly defamatory.

A shame that Eurogamer have chosen to bend to those inside the circle, rather than the one outside of it.

And so it goes on.

Hero

How they hell can you even threaten legal action over something you post on your public Twitter account? Shameless.

Empty

yeah the comment is just making the point about the importance of the appearance of propriety in journalism as the relationship between reader and writer depends on trust. it wasn't directly accusing her of anything. how can you sue for that or take that threat seriously.

Zeliard

They didn't just remove Wainwright, they also removed Dave Cook, who also whined about his inclusion.

Incredible.

Here's the omitted Lauren Wainwright part:

Rab Florence said:
One games journalist, Lauren Wainwright, tweeted: "Urm... Trion were giving away PS3s to journalists at the GMAs. Not sure why that's a bad thing?"

Now, a few tweets earlier, she also tweeted this: "Lara header, two TR pix in the gallery and a very subtle TR background. #obsessed @tombraider pic.twitter.com/VOWDSavZ"

And instantly I am suspicious. I am suspicious of this journalist's apparent love for Tomb Raider. I am asking myself whether she's in the pocket of the Tomb Raider PR team. I'm sure she isn't, but the doubt is there. After all, she sees nothing wrong with journalists promoting a game to win a PS3, right?

And the omitted Dave Cook part:

Rab Florence said:
Another journalist, one of the winners of the PS3 competition, tweeted this at disgusted RPS writer John Walker: "It was a hashtag, not an advert. Get off the pedestal." Now, this was Dave Cook, a guy I've met before. A good guy, as far as I could tell. But I don't believe for one second that Dave doesn't understand that in this time of social media madness a hashtag is just as powerful as an advert. Either he's on the defensive or he doesn't get what being a journalist is actually about.

The truth stings, apparently.

Gross turn of events. And incredibly ironic. Here is a guy writing a story about lapses in journalism in the industry and his own editors stab him in the back.

cameron

Lauren Wainwright, then Dave Cook.

I doubt Keighley approves of the article, so Eurogamer should just reduce the article to a bunch of general statements.

Margalis

Banned
Lol, this turn of events makes "Games Journalism" that much more of a joke.

This was the best piece of the article:

And instantly I am suspicious. I am suspicious of this journalist's apparent love for Tomb Raider. I am asking myself whether she's in the pocket of the Tomb Raider PR team. I'm sure she isn't, but the doubt is there. After all, she sees nothing wrong with journalists promoting a game to win a PS3, right?

It cuts right to the heart of the problem: if you are willing to tweet that you like a game just for a chance to win a PS3 it calls everything you tweet into question.

Cartman86

Banned
If this quote of what she said is correct she should own up to it instead of threatening Eurogamer.

If you can stand by your words what is the problem?

If it was her she probably threatened because the article used her as an example of how a reader can't trust a journalist when in one tweet they say that there is nothing wrong with a journo using their twitter to win a video game context and then a little while later saying that they are obsessed with Tomb Raider. I think it's an honest question. The article never said that she was in the pocket of SquareEnix. It said she probably wasn't. The point is that the doubt is raised when these conflicts exist. Conflicts that exist in all media. Obviously her tweet wasn't her admitting that she herself was trying to win a PS3, but as a "reader" I question why she didn't see the conflict and if it's systemic of the games media in general. Is there any other context around this story I'm missing? Did she not actually mean what she said? Twitter confusion?

Omikron

So. This is kinda ridiculous. I was only talking about this article with people this morning saying how much I appreciated it. :-/

dreamfall

How they hell can you even threaten legal action over something you post on your public Twitter account? Shameless.

Seriously! This is pretty ludicrous. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the piece, but I'm definitely convinced "games journalism" and "integrity" have nothing in common.

Sheesh. Eurogamer could've been better to stick by their writer's word. But legal action? From calling out bullshit PR/writer giveaways? My goodness.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah, don't forget they're under the UK's batshit crazy libel laws.

What really gets me is when these people defend themselves by saying "I'm just a big fan!" That's fine, but if you're going to put yourself out there as some incorruptible voice of journalistic authority YOU DON'T GET TO ACT LIKE A STUPID FAN ANYMORE.

Fucking disgusting. I was hoping journalists would be willing to actually take a look at themselves and their practises. Apparently not.

Back to the teat for most again.

Jburton

Banned
Thank you Rab Florence for writing this article and fuck the rest.

I like Geoff even though he is a shill, those other two can go fuck themselves.

I wonder if Miss Wainwrights threat to sue was sponsored by corporate PR, seems possible everything else is.

Shurs

I feel like the bigger story here is Eurogamer giving in to Lauren Wainwright and Dave Cook.

It seems worthy of its own thread.

These people should be called out.

The image really, truly is hilarious, and very telling. Rab Florence wrote a solid article but nothing even necessarily had to be written about it. The image completely speaks for itself.

kLHUo.png

A picture says more than a thousand words.

No wonder every hyped game gets 100% positive reviews. You apparently get legal threats if you go ahead and are anything else than a mindless robot. Jesus christ that business is fucked and game journalism can truly only be spelled with quotation marks around it.

Jintor

I feel like the bigger story here is Eurogamer giving in to Lauren Wainwright and Dave Cook.

It seems worthy of its own thread.

These people should be called out.

Shit gets really messy once you call in the lawyers. I have to say, the comments were perhaps libellous under the strict legal definition, but - and here's the important part - they were also true. So...

Derrick01

Banned
You have to have some nerve to be a douchebag, get called out in public for your douchebaggery, and then instead of doing the right thing continue to be an even bigger douchebag.

Goldmund

Thank you Rab Florence for writing this article and fuck the rest.

I like Geoff even though he is a shill, those other two can go fuck themselves.

I wonder if Miss Wainwrights threat to sue was sponsored by corporate PR, seems possible everything else is.

I've got the message right here!

Dear Mrs. Wainwright,

You've been fighting for Lara's cause for a while now. She's taken notice of your struggle. Lara is on your side, she wants you to feel protected. Take any legal measures deemed necessary, we'll generously reimburse you.

HNNGNGFNGNGNNNGGNGNG,
Squeenix

Jubbly

https://twitter.com/atheistium/status/261434983506403328

Lauren Wainwright ‏@atheistium

@GamerGuides I've got no issue with the actual idea and content just the libelous comments about me were unfair and unjust.

MCV is a shadow of its former self. Once upon a time it was a serious trade mag, now it's more of a news outlet, filled with general gaming stories, dodgy headlines, stories about unrelated topics, poor writing, and a ton of grammatical errors, most of which come from senior writer Ben Parfitt.

I've got the message right here!

The way she goes on about Square Enix and Tomb Raider I honestly reckon she's angling for a PR job with them.

Dennis

Banned
Lauren Wainwright ‏@atheistium

@GamerGuides I've got no issue with the actual idea and content just the libelous comments about me were unfair and unjust.

What libelous comments?

Did she say what she was quoted as saying or not?

Rab is surely entitled to then state that he does not trust her opinion.

Libel? Sue my ass.

Margalis

Banned
I wonder how Eurogamer thinks you can write a piece about video game journalism ethics without using actual names and examples?

Is "I don't want to name names but sometimes people do some bad stuff that I don't want to specify" the foundation for a great piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom