• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintoki

lolnzsvr.jpg

lol

I love this guy.

This is true which is why I think Eurogamer is deserving of some serious questioning. Libel suits suck (especially in the UK) but someone needs to be able to tell the truth if anyone expects 'games journalism' to be taken seriously.

Indeed.

Eurogamer's actions where questionable. You could argue they had no other option. They are a small site relative to the bug boys about dont want any cases bright against them. The guy was only a freelancer writing as feature every few weeks and has only been writing for them a few months. It understandable but it still shows no they have no backbone.

But Lauren's / MVC's actions where are right unforgivable here.

So it probably wasn't even her who made the decision to sue? Really sucks since obviously now she's the one getting all the shit.

I'm not sure. One of her tweets before this all kicked off was along the lines of "Looks like I'm finally going to get some use out of that media law course".

Yeah, that's definitely how should be. It doesn't sound like they're doing anything to influence a preview. They're just giving people an opportunity to try it out and that's it. There's a big difference there compared to something like this

http://kyleorland.com/thegamebeat/?p=2607

Capcom often seems to pick vacation destinations for their Captivate events. This year they held it in Rome.

I remember when Jeff Gerstmann talked about that trip. He said he'd have preferred not too, but the choice was between being able to report on Capcom's games- something the GB audience would definitely want- and not doing that. Similarly, he said going to Rome was a pain in the arse but at least he got to talk candidly with the Resi 6 producers.

So it's a judgement call with shit like that. Ideally, publishers grow up and stop thinking they need to woo the press with luxury- or simply slash their marketing budgets.

NHale

OMG SHE REMOVED THE ENTRY!! :lol :lol :lol

She might as well change her name. Removing the entry on the internet era is another poor decision made by someone that doesn't know what she's doing and probably thinks any publicity is good publicity.

Without suing for libel the article would have been forgotten in less than 3 days, now everyone will remember her name and her shady association with publishers while working on the press side at the same time.

The last time I've seen this kind of public self-destruction was Paul Christoforo.

Victrix

*beard*
Fucking lol. This thread keeps on giving.

What makes this even more hilarious is if she's ostensibly press, shouldn't she know best of all that trying to hide or erase something just makes it that much more interesting and visible?

Plus it's the fucking internet.

marrec

Banned
I'm not sure. One of her tweets before this all kicked off was along the lines of "Looks like I'm finally going to get some use out of that media law course".

I don't know why MVC would stoop down to actually sue based on a little blurb in a non-regular freelance column on a puny Games website. It seems likely it was initiated by her.

PrimeRib_

I remember when Jeff Gerstmann talked about that trip. He said he'd have preferred not too, but the choice was between being able to report on Capcom's games- something the GB audience would definitely want- and not doing that. Similarly, he said going to Rome was a pain in the arse but at least he got to talk candidly with the Resi 6 producers.

So it's a judgement call with shit like that. Ideally, publishers grow up and stop thinking they need to woo the press with luxury- or simply slash their marketing budgets.

Jesus, maybe if they slashed the budget on luxury trips to incorporate more stringent quality control, we wouldn't have received the bombastic mess that was RE6

Oh never mind. Dat Square Enix buried in the middle. lol

The girl raving about Tomb Raider and swearing that she was genuinely a fan girl of it on her Twitter feed and screaming about how she didn't understand the concept of "conflict of interest" just deleted the fact that she worked for Square-Enix (Tomb Raider's publisher) from her bio.

conman

Geoff was singled out in the article, true. And yea, the picture is telling regardless. But the point was made. There is a problem in the games industry in regards to the relationships between PR and journalists. The op-ed author was correct: PR people should fear journalists. It's a poignant commentary. Geoff was merely in the crossfire.
Geoff wasn't "singled out" so much as used as the entry point to a much deeper and more pervasive problem. The point of the article is that this has become such an invisible and accepted part of the industry that something like Geoff's blatant corporate schilling seemed totally acceptable for him to do. Nothing wrong with advertising to pay the bills, but that was gross.

And Rab was totally right in calling out the close relationships between PR and journalists. It's a very permeable barrier between the two (romantic relationships, friendships, career transitions, etc). It's the exact reason why prohibitions against "conflict of interest" exist in the first place. Even if most sites follow the letter of the law, they often miss entirely the intent behind those standards.

aegies

Or, PR want to go somewhere nice. Or, they pick a location well served by international airlines so they can get global media there. Or, they pick somewhere nice to bring their devs for a few days. Or, all of those things. I think Captivate is an important event on a yearly basis. I refused the opportunity to go this year though. That trip was a clusterfuck scheduled right into PAX East.

marrec

Banned
She might as well change her name. Removing the entry on the internet era is another poor decision made by someone that doesn't know what she's doing and probably thinks any publicity is good publicity.

Without suing for libel the article would have been forgotten in less than 3 days, now everyone will remember her name and her shady association with publishers while working on the press side at the same time.

The last time I've seen this kind of public self-destruction was Paul Christoforo.

This is the amazing thing to me about blowups like this. Have PR managers and lawyers not learned ANYTHING in the past 10 years? Without the threats to sue then I would not know who Lauren was (I don't read the Sun, thanks) but now I will always associate her AND the Sun with shady ass practices and hilarious attempts at hiding the evidence.

Great job guys.

Jesus, maybe if they slashed the budget on luxury trips to incorporate more stringent quality control, we wouldn't have received the bombastic mess that was RE6

I'm not sure that's how budgeting works, but OK! :p

You're right in that Capcom needs to learn how to spend its money, though

Or, PR want to go somewhere nice. Or, they pick a location well served by international airlines so they can get global media there. Or, they pick somewhere nice to bring their devs for a few days. Or, all of those things. I think Captivate is an important event on a yearly basis. I refused the opportunity to go this year though. That trip was a clusterfuck scheduled right into PAX East.

I know about the first/third point, can't really say more than "well, fair enough" to that one, although my personal approach would be to make an easy saving there and host a more stripped-back event. Still, maybe I'm just an asshole and in that situation, I'd want to get out and see the world myself. Second one is true- Rome seems to make a hell of a lot more sense than Hawaii in that respect (more so than Miami too, really).

Captivate is important. I was trying to say that it's perfectly understandable why press would attend, even though it initially looks a bit weird due to looking like a nice holiday. It's a big event. Hell, the Hawaii one was very important, given it had Marvel 3.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The girl raving about Tomb Raider and swearing that she was genuinely a fan girl of it on her Twitter feed and screaming about how she didn't understand the concept of "conflict of interest" just deleted the fact that she worked for Square-Enix (Tomb Raider's publisher) from her bio.
Yeah. Amazing.

You can't fool the internet. Now any time someone Googles her name, all of this shit will appear.

conman

Publishers aren't about to "grow up." The responsibility lies entirely with those covering games. Have some basic ethical standards and stick to them. Clearly, many of us here care about ethical standards, so they'd attract readers if they were open, transparent, and consistent in sticking to those standards.

Without them, you end up with exactly this media storm.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I love how arrogant these people get, all while spewing complete bullshit, after they get called out on something.

Victrix

*beard*
Publishers aren't about to "grow up." The responsibility lies entirely with those covering games. Have some basic ethical standards and stick to them. Clearly, many of us here care about ethical standards, so they'd attract readers if they were open, transparent, and consistent in sticking to those standards.

Without them, you end up with exactly this media storm.

Not sure if this is true. Based on GAF reaction to DLC vs. DLC sales, I wouldn't be surprised if GAF reaction to games journalism vs. games journalism webpage impressions were hilariously inverted.

S0N0S

Guys we were all overreacting. Lauren Wainwright never worked at Square Enix after all. I mean, she couldn't possibly just be trying to hide the truth and pretend these things never happened.

http://journalisted.com/lauren-wainwright

I honestly felt that she did all the damage she could do and couldn't possibly make herself look any worse. Now she's trying to conceal her biases and removing all evidence of her extreme conflict of interests. Rotten to the core.

Empty

Yeah. Amazing.

You can't fool the internet. Now any time someone Googles her name, all of this shit will appear.

yeah with the permanence of this stuff online she's going to really regret creating all this mess over a single negative comment once it's settled down and she can look back.

sad story for all involved. as enjoyable as the streisand effect propelled backlash has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom