• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

pants

BEFORE:

D50AO.jpg

AFTER:

zPU1y.png

What Lauren could learn from Amirox

I cant tell if the thread title should be updated considering the fallout or if its somehow perfect.

Lauren is just being silly now. Just stop. Get away from the internet RIGHT NOW. Whats done is done. Just leave it alone for a few days.

Nert

What Lauren could learn from Amirox

Seeing how Amir0x was demodded and this person is being vigorously defended by her employers, NeoGAF apparently has higher standards for its mods than some publications have for their games writers.

JABEE

Guys we were all overreacting. Lauren Wainwright never worked with Square Enix after all. I mean, she couldn't possibly just be trying to hide the truth and pretend these things never happened.

http://journalisted.com/lauren-wainwright

Disgusting. At least move it to past employment if you don't work there any more, but to change it now makes it seem as if she's hoping that no one will pick up on he consultant work with Square.

marrec

Banned
Seeing how Amir0x was demodded and this person is being vigorously defended by her employers, NeoGAF apparently has higher standards for its mods than some publications have for their games writers.

It's the Sun.

Ain't much doesn't have higher standards than the Sun.

Publishers aren't about to "grow up." The responsibility lies entirely with those covering games. Have some basic ethical standards and stick to them. Clearly, many of us here care about ethical standards, so they'd attract readers if they were open, transparent, and consistent in sticking to those standards.

Without them, you end up with exactly this media storm.

Well, yes, I don't think I was arguing against the press having ethics...

conman

Not sure if this is true. Based on GAF reaction to DLC vs. DLC sales, I wouldn't be surprised if GAF reaction to games journalism vs. games journalism webpage impressions were hilariously inverted.
We may be a minority of readers, but we're a powerful minority. Considering how often GAF is the source for stories and the go-to place for crowdsourced dot connecting within the industry, I think we matter quite a bit as readers. Our opinions don't really affect game sales, but we do have an effect on industry coverage.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Amir0x is also smart enough not to bring up what happened nor does he try to defend his position in that instance.

That's a swag ass gif.

Well yea. He acknowledged that he was wrong. She still hasn't done that. And yes as someone mentioned above. Neogaf does have higher standards. That's a good thing too.

The article is not so much about Geoff Keighley as how the lines between journalists and PR have become so blurred that it means impartiality will always be called into question.

Games journalism is a circle jerk. Friends with PR, friends with other journalists, friends with developers.

sounds like someone is jealous of people with friends

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Be sure to read John Walker's two excellent pieces on this subject.

This one was written after the original Rab Florence article came out but before the shit hit the fan with Lauren Wainwright and the article edits. Contains lots of disclosure and honest truths about what the biz is like, and lots of smacking about of idiots:

http://botherer.org/2012/10/24/games-journalists-and-the-perception-of-corruption/

This one is post-shit-hitting-fan and even angrier:

http://botherer.org/2012/10/25/an-utter-disgrace/
The change in his tone between the two is palpable. Great set of articles.

see5harp

not really the same. Ryan Seacrest doesn't tout himself as a restaurant critic or provide retailer reviews. If he did, he absolutely would get lambasted the same way.

I don't think the issue is with the identifiers of those writers. Journalism, critics, whatever you want to call them. The issue more or less stems from those in the industry that work for a company that leads the public to believe they provide objective reviews. From that standpoint, accepting gifts, meals or favors poses a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think most of the video game writers out there to present or think of themselves as being investigative jounalists. Most podcasts, including Justin McElroy's, revel and laugh in the fact that they are grown adults getting paid to talk about video games.

MormaPope

Banned
It's always funny when people tell THE ENTIRETY OF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY ON NEOGAF to stop doing something. This isn't a fucking mission based site, it's a forum of enthusiasts and varied users. Seeing how videogame journalists report videogames, it doesn't surprise me that they don't have the slightest clue to what Neogaf actually is.

JABEE

Or, PR want to go somewhere nice. Or, they pick a location well served by international airlines so they can get global media there. Or, they pick somewhere nice to bring their devs for a few days. Or, all of those things. I think Captivate is an important event on a yearly basis. I refused the opportunity to go this year though. That trip was a clusterfuck scheduled right into PAX East.

You don't believe that going to those events can even subconsciously shape your experience with a game. They don't spend that money to fly everyone to Hawaii to just make their employees happy. It is a conscious move that Capcom makes to put you in a good mood. They want you to become buddies with their PR people, because they know that people can be influenced by not wanting to let down their friend's game or being in Hawaii puts members of the press in a better mood.

Do you ever think about these things when you go to these events? These junkets are performed to influence opinion leaders. The environmental and social pressures applied at these events are a conscious investment made by the Marketing departments of these publishers. They do it because they know know press members are influenced by these gifts.

I don't understand this mindset. Did she think deleting a bit of text would make things better? Absolutely pathetic.

She is young. I'm sure with hind sight she would have just ignored it like Geoff. It wasn't an attack on her, or the other 2 anyway.

Originally it was just an on point editorial that would have had mild praise and been forgotten in a few weeks, just taking up some people's bookmarks to post in later threads. Now look at it all.

S0N0S

I don't understand this mindset. Did she think deleting a bit of text would make things better? Absolutely pathetic.

The only logic - if you can call it that - I see guiding her actions seems to be "If it's incriminating and can be deleted, delete it."

Nert

It's always funny when people tell THE ENTIRETY OF THE WHOLE COMMUNITY ON NEOGAF to stop doing something. This isn't a fucking mission based site, it's a forum of enthusiasts and varied users. Seeing how videogame journalists report videogames, it doesn't surprise me that they don't have the slightest clue to what Neogaf actually is.

To be fair, a lot of people here make the same mistake of referring to "NeoGAF" as a singular entity (or worse: the dreaded "GAF hive mind"). This comes up all of the time in various political threads. It's silly when games writers do it and it's silly when people here do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom