• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
AKA: "I'm bailing before I dig myself into a hole deeper because I don't have the balls to cover a story that deserves covering."

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord cracked you:

That's what it feels like, but he still gets credit for coming into the thread at all.

I can't help it. That Keighley picture is still one lf the funniest things I have ever seen.

It isn't just about videogame press, I see it as a beautiful commentary on American Pop-culture. Mountain Dew Master Chief, Jeff's expression, the pile of trash food they expect me to want because "double xp!!"

Everything about it is just awesome.

It really is just the "perfect storm" of everything that's wrong with our hobby these days.

sflufan

Banned
I can't help it. That Keighley picture is still one lf the funniest things I have ever seen.

It isn't just about videogame press, I see it as a beautiful commentary on American Pop-culture. Mountain Dew Master Chief, Jeff's expression, the pile of trash food they expect me to want because "double xp!!"

Everything about it is just awesome.

You're absolutely right.

When future historians begin a deconstruction of the waning years of the American Empire, this picture shall certainly figure prominently in the discussion!

Khezu

TB probably put it the best.

Probably going to make those mountain dew doritos cupcake abominations later.. ok maybe with out the doritos.

Uthred

There are plenty of girls who wear worse things, unfortunately, and it's not because their fathers dressed them.

This is pretty off-topic though.

Apologies for introducing the drift, it didnt look particularly unlike stuff I've seen women wearing in real life (well sans frills ;)) but it is clearly off-topic. Also, holy shit that linked thread is a train wreck.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Thanks for confirming Kotaku is shit and continuing my ban on ever following links to that site.

If you had balls you'd be following/writing about this news on Kotaku. But lord knows you guys have more important things to do for news like "FF7 hentai in Japan!? OMG WTF!" instead of standing up for someone that shined the light on the "games journalist" industry and showed the world how corrupt you guys really are.

And we both know the truth: You don't want to stand up for him/write about it because you're worried the industry and PR people will blacklist you/Kotaku because of you siding with him. Which is the sad part of this.

What the holy fuck? When was this kind of shit allowed on GAF? Would you say that to his face in public?

If he had the balls? Wow. I'm just stunned that you posted this.

What do a PS3 contest and a journalist who consulted for a company she covered have to do with the way I cover games?

They want blood man, that's all I can see.

So, if you're uncomfortable criticising other sites, will you be prepared to criticise Kotaku?

Asking any group to criticize their peers in public is a ludicrous request.. and if you can't understand why it's unacceptable you have a lot to learn in life.

AKA: "I'm bailing before I dig myself into a hole deeper because I don't have the balls to cover a story that deserves covering."

ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif

Again, wow... you sure are one respectful poster. He owes you nothing on this, hell at least he came on GAF and talked about it.. but nope.. not good enough for TheSeks.. he deserves more even though Kotaku is already "banned" by you.. which honestly makes your whole wanting of him to post on the story suspect.. because you wouldn't read it anyhow by your own admission.

You should be questioning the sites that arent covering those news not him, he has the freedom to not write about it, picking on one person woudnt help at all.

The sites that cover gaming are the ones that must report this, whoever writes the article. What must be questioned is the industry, the bigger picture.

FStop7

Banned
Asking any group to criticize their peers in public is a ludicrous request.. and if you can't understand why it's unacceptable you have a lot to learn in life.

When it comes to journalism this isn't an outlandish request at all. It happens, or at least it's supposed to happen, regularly.

lednerg

img]https://i.minus.com/ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif[/img

Jesus. Look, not everybody who writes for a website is an investigative journalist. It's okay if someone's not comfortable changing his job description to include critiquing the industry he works in. He did at least share his feelings on the matter with us.

I don't agree with everything Jason Schrier said, nor do I agree with the flippant "If it's on twitter, it's not representative of me" mentality, but don't be mean, guys. Direct your anger to the correct places, not just the peripheries.

You're absolutely right.

When future historians begin a deconstruction of the waning years of the American Empire, this picture shall certainly figure prominently in the discussion!

It belongs right beside a picture of the Tacobell drive through menu featuring an "XXL Chalupa."

The caption should read, "These oversized chulupas were responsible for a wide spread epidemic of FUPA."

antitrop

FStop7

Banned
Now I want one of those UC3 and even -gulp- QoS press kits. Yes, I've played that game. I know its quality or actually the lack thereof. But dammit, I want one.

I really wanted the Forza 4 press kit. It would have made an awesome LCE. And by "wanted" I mean I would have paid money for it at retail.

giveaway-04-opt.jpg

Kinyou

I really wanted the Forza 4 press kit. It would have made an awesome LCE.

giveaway-04-opt.jpg
I... what the...?

Do those exist for every game?

Currently I'm not even mad that those get send to reviewers, I'm mad that those aren't being sold. They probably have to make a ton of those anyway if they send it to every big reviewer, making a few extra thousand would probably not even increase the costs much.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif

I have yet to see someone use this gif in a non-annoying and terribly out of place way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
There needs to ne a journalist union.
standards should be defined and thst Way individual reviewers can't get bullied by not being on publishers good side.

CzarTim

Embarrasing stuff for all involved, shame that Green and Elliots are better journalists despite not being in that side of the industry anymore. Pretty shitty how they can easily say "Im not a journalist!" to cover their asses while sneering about forum conspiracies on twitter.

Remember when Shawn blew the lid on that IGN Music Hub thing? Shouldn't take a now-dev for that to happen.

NervousXtian

When it comes to journalism this isn't an outlandish request at all. It happens, or at least it's supposed to happen, regularly.

Yet, it really is. It's kind of one of those unwritten rules.. you don't publicly talk shit about others in your field at different companies.. because good chance one day you'll be working with them.

braves01

Banned
Yet, it really is. It's kind of one of those unwritten rules.. you don't publicly talk shit about others in your field at different companies.. because good chance one day you'll be working with them.

No, journalism is an industry predicated on integrity and truth. Everyone in the industry should know that and act accordingly. If you don't report on violations of that integrity, you aren't doing your duty and you're also in violation.

Oersted

There is difference between talking shit and critizing.The last thing is one of the journalists duties.

NervousXtian

I see you are living up to the tag under your name.

Thanks for adding so much to this thread, you're a real asset to GAF.

Your insight into this matter was greatly appreciated, and I really do like how you rebutted any and all of my points in a clearly defined manner adding to to the discussion in such a positive and full-filling way.

Please Junior, carry on.

NervousXtian

No, journalism is an industry predicated on integrity and truth. Everyone in the industry should know that and act accordingly. If you don't report on violations of that integrity, you aren't doing your duty and you're also in violation.

There is difference between talking shit and critizing.The last thing is one of the journalists duties.

You just don't do it. Basically, doing it can be career suicide.

Rab did it, and ended up quitting his job over it.

That's the worst case, but it's just something you don't do.

Criticism like that should be done in private.

You can get up in arms about how that's bullshit, but in the end talking shit about others in your field can put you out of a job... it's easy to say you should do it if you aren't the one putting your job on the line.

Not... really? I mean you have to be decent at math I guess. I guess it depends on what, but get some programming skills and you can make 70k.

Totally off subject, but...

Hell, if you have a straight up Computer Science degree you'll be starting at just under 70K. The only problem, as I've found lately, is that you hit the ceiling with that work pretty quick. Regardless, CS is one of the most in-demand disciplines to learn right now. You will not be wanting for available jobs.

antitrop

Thanks for adding so much to this thread, you're a real asset to GAF.

Your insight into this matter was greatly appreciated, and I really do like how you rebutted any and all of my points in a clearly defined manner adding to to the discussion in such a positive and full-filling way.

Please Junior, carry on.
I mean he just completely set himself up for that one.

And it's also not uncommon for journalists to scrutinize themselves. I know I mentioned On the Media before, but here's a description of the show from wikipedia:

As defined by co-host Garfield, On the Media covers "…anything that reaches a large audience—either electronically or otherwise…. Plus, throw into that anything that covers First Amendment issues; anything that has to do with freedom of speech, privacy, is also in our portfolio."[2] The show explores how the media are changing, and their effects on America and the world. Many stories are centered on events of the previous week and how they were covered in the news. These often consist of interviews with reporters about the dilemmas they face in covering controversial issues.

Stories regularly cover such subjects as the use of video news releases, net neutrality, digital broadcast flags, media consolidation, censorship, freedom of the press, the influence of 24-hour cable news television coverage, media oppression, and how the media are changing with technology.

The show also addresses questions about how the media is influenced or spun by politicians, corporations, and interest groups with the intent to shape public opinion.

This is a regular, weekly show on NPR and is completely accepted. Again this is just one example that, yes, you can be critical but still respectful of those in journalism.
For those journalists that said they don't feel comfortable talking about their fellow journalists, just look at the description of one of the recent segments On the Media did:

This week, a full hour of highlights from our exploration of liberal bias and public media, which we conducted in March of 2011. Brooke talks to NPR listeners, pollsters, media watchers, and This American Life's Ira Glass in search of an answer to the question: does NPR have a liberal bias?

This is a nationally syndicated show on NPR doing a story on whether NPR has a liberal bias.
It's not that taboo to talk about journalism. It's really not.

You can get up in arms about how that's bullshit, but in the end talking shit about others in your field can put you out of a job... it's easy to say you should do it if you aren't the one putting your job on the line.

You have a point, however, certain things need to be exposed. Yes, it can cause a career suicide, but in Rab's case, he did his job. No disrespect, and I am saying this in the most of best manners possible: Let's say you worked at as a journalist in any industry. You worked your tail off with your writings. Would you really let another journalist with questionable morals get away with free perks? I know I would expose any journalist who is biased.

NervousXtian

This is a nationally syndicated show on NPR doing a story on whether NPR has a liberal bias.
It's not that taboo to talk about journalism. It's really not.

..but really if you want to get into the "news" networks.. we aren't talking journalists.. they are personalities, commentators, hosts... not journalists.

You don't really see actual journalists call each other out publicly by name. They leave that for the commentators to do.

You have a point, however, certain things need to be exposed. Yes, it can cause a career suicide, but in Rab's case, he did his job. No disrespect, and I am saying this in the most of best manners possible: Let's say you worked at as a journalist in any industry. You worked your tail off with your writings. Would you really let another journalist with questionable morals get away with free perks? I know I would expose any journalist who is biased.

2 things, I wonder how Rab feels about this in a few weeks, if he really thinks it was worth it... but honestly he probably wanted out anyhow.

The other thing, I might say something to them in person.. but no I'm not calling them out publicly. That's honestly not my job. Besides, we're all biased.. I'm biased, you're biased. If my job was to post on games then I'm not posting dirty laundry of other writers.

There's a reason you aren't seeing a lot of that right now.. because if you were in that position they are you wouldn't do it either.

Oersted

Actual journalists keep critizing each other all the time. It is part of their business. NPR on the media for example was already mentioned and there are thousands worldwide doing this. Hack, even SNL is doing it in a way. It is journalists job to critize.

PS:Stop with this "talking shit about others" crap. Critizing is NOT talking shit

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

So you can mislead the public, but you can only be criticized for it in private?

How convenient.

Oersted

..but really if you want to get into the "news" networks.. we aren't talking journalists.. they are personalities, commentators, hosts... not journalists.

You don't really see actual journalists call each other out publicly by name. They leave that for the commentators to do.

Rab is a personality, a commentator... not a journalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom