• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody please make a new thread for the Verge post. This is a megathread at this point.

I would but its a community post made by a writer whose full name is not used; they also make no attempt to back themselves up - its possible a lot of the article is conjecture and its possible its someone with inside info - but atm its conjecture

They obviously use gaf (using an image I created in their header edited with their own); so if they could either post more info on their Verge account or here that would be extremely helpful. (maybe it was Floex?)

If anyone can confirm the Hitman article in the magazine then they should post a thread on that - but again, we've no idea the dates or anything. Without the original creator to question it would all be unsubstantiated.

The actual interesting part is whether there was a relationship between SE/MCV and we know Lauren herself knew someone through that already (not thread worthy as its been talked to death in here). Lauren likely put forward the libel threats herself, not MCV (the editor himself says his boss didn't, and I don't think he was implying that he did).

The supposed meeting to have shills is again conjecture that in no way is backed up. I myself has stated that publishers might seek to turn content into adverts for themselves, but that was conjecture and again a big part of this thread.

So yeah if the writer can say 'whats up' or even post a thread themselves, that would be great, but atm its just a community blog that doesn't do enough to back itself imo.

I have a question for Jason, Stephen, or any other writer that's still listening at this point:

If you're subjected to some ridiculous PR shenanigans in order to get access to a game (to a point where it really bothered you), can't you then bring that opinion to the developer/publisher who has a relationship with said PR company in order to give them that feedback? Have you ever done this? Maybe some of the publishers/developers would want to know and aren't really getting that kind of communication from press people. Maybe they'd rather work with PR companies that the press actually enjoys interfacing with and just aren't aware there is sometimes an opposite sentiment.

1) Might need to be more specific. You mean to review it? Or just to get some hands-on time?

2) Depends on whether the PR (or marketing) is being done in-house or by an external agency

What a fucking farce.

At this point MCV now have two options as I see it:

1. They can hold their nose and continue to pretend that their shit doesn't stink
  2. They can terminate their working relationship with Wainwright

My guess is that they'll stick with option 1.

If they retain her services as a freelancer or staff writer they must know any credibility they previously had will be nothing but a dim distant memory.

MCV must be hoping and praying that news of this sorry episode doesn't spread to those making stock buying decisions in the UK retail chains.

If that happens their ad space will rapidly drop in value and it will be no one's fault but their own.

It seems a foolish strategy as the internet loves moral crusades like this.

1) Might need to be more specific. You mean to review it? Or just to get some hands-on time?

2) Depends on whether the PR (or marketing) is being done in-house or by an external agency

I think the most effective thing to do is let the audience know. And the audience shold reward that kind of reporting.

The Kotaku piece on what it was like to Halo review at the MS hosted session is a good example. It is honest and transparent without being either hostile or defensive. It should be rewarded. I tweeted it just for that purpose.

Here it is again for the new page:

http://updates.kotaku.com/post/34775753950/how-it-feels-to-review-halo-4-on-microsofts-turf

I do wish it had a bit more... Something. Reflection on the idea of reviewing at an event or something. It is well written but it would be nice if there was more of a take away. Nevertheless, it is a great, great idea. I want to see more of this.

JABEE

I'm sure I would be infuriated, as I'm sure Rab Florence is infuriated. John Walker put it very well in his recent RPS piece: "Silencing journalists is a terrible practice."

I don't want to voice my opinion on the specifics without knowing the specifics, though. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes. I also don't know what Stephen has learned while reporting this story, but I, like you guys, am excited to see what he writes.

Okay. I hope Stephen finds out some good information. I spoke too quickly.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've only gotten through pg 27 of the thread but I'll say this.

I think GAF as a collective can get a bit self righteous and preachy about certain aspects of gaming, but to me, this isn't it. I think the scorn and disdain is deserved.

I have a harder time condemning Keighley because I still have no idea what he did prior to this that he command any integrity in the first place. I'm only familar with him posting bull shit rumors and failed megatons that get reposted here.

Wainright I would classify as essentially a viral marketer, and someone who's opinion is of no worth.

I'm glad some have called out some of the more famous gaming journalists for getting cushy jobs at the companies they kept shilling for. Even some of the best seem to be angling for a better job in the industry.

And I guess thats part of the problem. You can't pay the bills and keep your integrity in this field. I think some of these media types could go the marketing route as long as they are transparent about it.

sixghost

Is anyone going to follow-up on that story or post a new thread?

Probably not since it's just a forum post. Most of the statements in the story have no backing. The only thing new was the two UK magazine covers and her article about Hitman in MCV.

spirity

Agreed. We should wait for confirmation by someone in the game's media since they are far more credible and are likely to have more journalistic integrity.

PR people look really shitty right now. I know it's not fair to tar them all with the same brush, and I'm sure there's some great people employed as PR, but all the twitter stuff I've seen them participate in is really damning. The N'Gai Croal twitter stream and 2k Games' Ben Lawrence's comments.... this is Ocean Stratagy's Paul Christoforo shit, and I'm sure he'd be proud. How the fuck are these people in PR? PR, of all spheres? Its hilarious.

MCV Digital Edition Link

The Hitman piece by Wainwright is on pages 40 & 41

Double page spread with very little words...except FOUR ads at the bottom!

89mF4u.jpg
NOVEL IDEA
Hitman: Damnation looks to bridge the gap between 2006's Hitman: Blood Money and Absolution. It's written by Raymond Benson, who has penned novels for both Metal Gear Solid and James Bond.

FASHION FIX
Smartly dressed Agent 47 even has his own clothing line with Trapstar. A premium blazer, cufflinks and T-shirts can be bought official from the Hitman store online.

DELUXE PROFESSIONAL
The professional edition of the game contains a hardcover art book, making of DVD and Agency Gun-Pack DLC.

And finally to round it all off!

SNIPER CHALLENGE
Pre-order customers are treated to a free game called Sniper Challenge. The game sees players take part in a mission to take out a target and rack up points. Turn to the 86 for details on MCV's top industry assassins.

The top ranking industry assassins is actually on page 68 (despite what the article might say) and its all developers with Daniel McAssay but this does say the developers competition and the rest of the competition is open to others now.

I suppose we could say that actually its FIVE adverts, Hitman is given the front cover of the recommendations section; and a two page spread written by Wainwright. Once again its more a PR piece that anything of substance:

Top of the market blurb for the game:
THE ULTIMATE Assassin is back Hitman: Absolution sees a betrayed Agent 47 on the run from the Police and in the centre of a dark conspiracy against the very people he used to work for.

Back of the box sales pitch:
Its a triumphant return for a much-loved series with impressive visuals and cinematic story, but it still features the same type of gameplay that made the series so popular.

Weird shoe in of features:
Players can disguise themselves in costumes to blend in with their surroundings as they dispose of their targets with an assortment of deadly weapons.

[Seriously, how is this written by anything but PR?]

Goes on to have quotes from a publisher (*cough**cough) discussing their big ads and everything for the game.
Finishing with this:

After a six year gap, Hitman is sure to please hardcore fans and new comers alike when it releases on 360, PS3 and PC this November.

So...has she played the game? This sounds more like a review right? I doubt it. This is a sales pitch of 3 pages.

Am going to post a thread on this and add some things on Michael French seeing as he is tied into all this due to his actions protecting Lauren and then publishing this in his magazine.

Double page spread with very little words...except FOUR ads at the bottom!

And finally to round it all off!

The top ranking industry assassins is actually on page 68 (despite what the article might say) and its all developers with Daniel McAssay but this does say the developers competition and the rest of the competition is open to others now.

I suppose we could say that actually its FIVE adverts, Hitman is given the front cover of the recommendations section; and a two page spread written by Wainwright. Once again its more a PR piece that anything of substance:

Top of the market blurb for the game:

Back of the box sales pitch:

Weird shoe in of features:

[Seriously, how is this written by anything but PR?]

Goes on to have quotes from a publisher (*cough**cough) discussing their big ads and everything for the game.
Finishing with this:

So...has she played the game? This sounds more like a review right? I doubt it. This is a sales pitch of 3 pages.

Am going to post a thread on this and add some things on Michael French seeing as he is tied into all this due to his actions protecting Lauren and then publishing this in his magazine.

Be sure to post a link to the thread when you do.

Shaneus

I'm glad some have called out some of the more famous gaming journalists for getting cushy jobs at the companies they kept shilling for. Even some of the best seem to be angling for a better job in the industry.
Chris Remo now works at Double Fine. Nick Breckon at Bethesda.

Those guys are ASSHOLES.

Not really, they're a stellar example of what you do when you move from the gaming press to an internal job. Love you guys <3

Chris Remo now works at Double Fine. Nick Breckon at Bethesda.

Those guys are ASSHOLES.

Not really, they're a stellar example of what you do when you move from the gaming press to an internal job. Love you guys <3
Eric Wolpaw is at Valve.

Sellouts! Splitters!

Safe Bet

Banned
I donated my signed Halo 4 Doritos (1 out of 30) and Mtn Dew (1 out of 120) to one of the news outlets I freelance for..
I can't deny that was a very entertaining video.

;)

I really do hope some of this backlash against juvenile advertising that's emerging is signs of a more mature audience beginning to assert itself.

jschreier

Shit, I didn't get any limited edition Doritos. I wonder if they get you extra points in Halo 4: King of the Hill Fueled by Mountain Dew.

hteng

Banned
im pretty out of the loop on this but why the hell would you pay premium for a bloody bag of chips and a can of sugar drink in a fucking game? do ppl actually buy into these shit?

Halo 4 Limited Edition Mountain Dew + Doritos Unboxing

Just to lighten up the mood in this thread. NeoGAF shoutout at the end.

I donated the box to Rev3 before I noticed the limited edition numbering. I told Max this was his version of taking a sledgehammer to a hardware product on launch day. We initially wanted to put it all in a blender but we couldn't find a blender in the Rev3 offices.

And of course, I sent the video link to the PR contact who sent the box. She unimaginatively replies, "Must admit, I cracked a smile."

Just some quotes from Wainwrights Tips to get free Games:

A random person you start talking to could be good friends with a community manager or producer and might end up inviting you to events and such!

Also don&#8217;t ask for stuff &#8211; they will offer in time.

You get free stuff for doing stuff for free. It&#8217;s a payment for your favour.

Always review the rubbish games you get sent. I know, you kind of want to kill yourself while doing it.. but for doing the rubbish one you will be working towards getting the good ones.

But I think this is the most funny one:

I&#8217;ve suffered because I used to be a huge nasty bitch online. I&#8217;ve since, learned from my ways but it always comes back to haunt you.

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20100213090917/http://viera.nu/?p=550

I really do not understand why anyone can even employ someone, who wrote such things like this, to write for them...

Anybody want to guess what the new magic-word will be after "witch hunt" and "entitled" have both been run into the ground? My guess goes to "uppity".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom