• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games journalist (also a gaf member?) suspected in murder suicide

maxmars

Now this is shocking.

I had been in contact with him around the Wii launch, we had an interview about Wing Island that I published on a fan site I used to have. He was really cool, I can't believe he killed a woman before taking his own life. That's so sad.
My condolences go to both families, I will pray for them all.

Vagabundo

JJConrad said:
I'm quoting your post not to single you out or to even disagree with you, but because your's was a reasonable post and wasn't trying to attack the others opinion.

It's sad that even a topic like has so much arguing in it. Outrage & anger and Sorrow & compassion are both natural responses to situations like this. Neither mean that the person is rigid & cruel or weak & soft.

To answer your question (in a very circular manner):

Its a matter of perspective. Cheebs position is that murder is unjustifiable. Its a noble and good position that no one should be criticizing. I don't think I'd could respect anyone who thought otherwise. If murder is unjustifiable, then it doesn't matter how bad his life was going, its not part of the equation. Jason was despicable for even entertaining the thought of murder and damnable for commiting it. Or in other words... His troubles drove him to murder Serena... but his troubles didn't drive him to murder.

My condolences go out to both sides of the family. There is undoubtedly a large cross-over of friends and family who will be grieving for both people struggling with how they remember their loved ones.

Personally, I think its unfortunate that stories like this are reported the way that they are. I find it very disrespectful to the victims to have their deaths reported second to the deaths of their murderer's. There is tragedy in both deaths, but they're not equal.

Personally, I think, you can say to murder is wrong, but also have some compassion for all the people involved, even the murderer. The whole event is tragic and I feel sorry for everyone involved - families, friends, his wife and the man himself.

So much righteous anger in this thread, you'd think the place is full of angels.

JJConrad said:
To answer your question (in a very circular manner):

Its a matter of perspective. Cheebs position is that murder is unjustifiable. Its a noble and good position that no one should be criticizing. I don't think I'd could respect anyone who thought otherwise. If murder is unjustifiable, then it doesn't matter how bad his life was going, its not part of the equation. Jason was despicable for even entertaining the thought of murder and damnable for commiting it. Or in other words... His troubles drove him to murder Serena... but his troubles didn't drive him to murder.

I understand that argument, but that is not Cheebs's argument.

Cheebs's argument, if he has a coherent argument, is that because this man committed a heinous and indefensible act, anyone who feels anything but outraged hatred towards him is somehow expressing support for his actions. That's stupid and incorrect.

At any rate, thank you for being polite.

I feel sympathy for both families, the victim, as well as the NeoGAFfers that know this person.

Murder is wrong, I don't think anybody's denying that. I just agree that it's much better to focus on comforting those that are suffering emotionally from all of this.

I never met him in person but did work with him a few times. Normally, I'd throw the smack down but this is just plain awful. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Aaron

JetSetRadio said:
That's just one sick dude.
Taking away your wife her life because you want to die is just a selfish prick decision.
You missed the cheating bitch part of it, but still no reason to kill anyone.

Amir0x

Banned
jesus christ. if you're going to go out, why the fuck do you take someone with you

such a stupid thing to do. Horrible story :(

Michan

What a shame.

I thought I recognised the guy's username. After checking my PMs, sure enough, there was a friendly Bomberman-related chat. I wouldn't have expected something like this to come from a seemingly innocent GAF user, but I guess you never really can judge a book by it's cover.

My heart goes out to all who have lost a loved one as a result of this horrific and tragic incident.

Zenith

Banned
bhlaab said:
I stand by my instantaneous and uninformed opinion and anybody who disagrees is an idiot

Forgive us for having consistent morals and not compromising just because the guy was a gaffer.

Cheebs

Night_Trekker said:
Cheebs's argument, if he has a coherent argument, is that because this man committed a heinous and indefensible act, anyone who feels anything but outraged hatred towards him is somehow expressing support for his actions. That's stupid and incorrect.
Those are not the posts that outraged me. The ones with just sympathy are yes I feel odd but that are not posts that would get me to try to show what this guy did was wrong. The ones who were like "well we don't know what she was doing, maybe he had a good reason for what he did" "we can't pass judgement on him, we don't know why he killed her"...etc types. The ones who aren't just showing sympathy but are outright trying to excuse what he did as if there are justifications for cold blooded murder. I am talking about those who try to justify and excuse murder, not those just saying RIP. THAT is what is wrong.

There's certainly no condoning what he did, but several people here have met/talked to him and it seems like he was a normal once. It's a shame that things turned out like this. My condolences to both families. :(

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

P90

DavidDayton said:
The guy did an incredibly evil thing. There is no justification for his killing of his wife.

I can, however, have sympathy (not empathy) for him. I really hope that he, at some moment before his death, had SOME remorse for his actions. I have religious beliefs that do include the notion of eternal suffering, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone; that doesn't mean I would want to -excuse- justice from being meted out, but that I pray and hope that even the most evil of people have some remorse for their actions, even if at the very end of their lives.

Now, my beliefs aren't those of many (probably most) of GAF. I understand the disgust and rage and hatred. I am, however, going to keep everyone involved in my prayers. I wouldn't wish eternal suffering on anyone, and I always keep open some hope for some bit of good in everyone, regardless of their evil acts.

Again, there is NO excuse or justification for what he did. I just hope, for his sake, that he showed some remorse for his actions at some point.

Great post, David.

FightyF

Banned
Disturbing, unbelievable, tragic, heinous, appalling...take all these words, mash em up and that's how I feel about this.

I'm not justifying what he did, but I feel like he simply went insane and wasn't thinking straight. Even if he didn't kill his wife, it would have still been tragic if he committed suicide. There has to be programs for men to help cope with bitter divorces.

darscot

FightyF said:
There has to be programs for men to help cope with bitter divorces.

Why does there have to be programs for everything now a days. He got a divorce big deal everyone is doing it now a days. I don't know what the actual divorce rate is now but it seems a great many people have more then one of them. People are just fucking weak, especially men. I don't pretend to have the answers but I'm actually really glad my Father gave me the odd smack upside the head and told me to man up.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Night_Trekker said:
I understand that argument, but that is not Cheebs's argument.

At any rate, thank you for being polite.

this is why night trekker is awesome. because he's reasonable and understands that things don't happen in vacuums. we're not talking about hitler here. we're talking about someone who made a very bad decision at a very hard time in their life. who knows what the next day would have brought for him?

very sad.

beelzebozo said:
this is why night trekker is awesome. because he's reasonable and understands that things don't happen in vacuums. we're not talking about hitler here. we're talking about someone who made a very bad decision at a very hard time in their life. who knows what the next day would have brought for him?

very sad.

I have to disagree, cold blooded murder should never be seen as just a "very bad decision" Whilst we're not talking about Hitler here, we're talking about another murderer, and whilst I would feel sympathy towards him if he had simply committed suicide I find it hard to believe anybody who commits such an evil act for such immensely selfish reasons deserves anybody's sympathy. I mean it's fine to point out that there are reasons these things happen, but they derive from how terrible some people are willing to be and that in itself is impossible to quantify or prevent.

Though I send my condolences to all others involved.

Top Bottom