• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games/ports you would "kickstart" today for a retro console?

RetroAV

virtua_fighter_3_sega_saturn.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3 has always been my favorite in the series and I've always wondered how it would have turned out on the Sega Saturn. At the very least, I wish Sega would have shown footage of the game running on the Saturn as they did with Shenmue. I don't know if there's a homebrew scene for it or not, but I'd be willing to buy/"kickstart" a port of VF3 for the Sega Saturn today! What are some other games that you would pay to see created/ported to a retro console?

cireza

Banned
virtua_fighter_3_sega_saturn.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3 has always been my favorite in the series and I've always wondered how it would have turned out on the Sega Saturn. At the very least, I wish Sega would have shown footage of the game running on the Saturn as they did with Shenmue. I don't know if there's a homebrew scene for it or not, but I'd be willing to buy/"kickstart" a port of VF3 for the Sega Saturn today! What are some other games that you would pay to see created/ported to a retro console?
Quite surprised that your pick is VF3. This is by far my most wanted "old" game. I really hope that someday we will get to see it in action.

Yu Suzuki really annoyed me when recently someone asked him the question and he was like "I don't remember". Don't count on me to buy your shitty Shenmue sequels then ! :)

RetroAV

Quite surprised that your pick is VF3. This is by far my most wanted "old" game. I really hope that someday we will get to see it in action.
I wonder if the Saturn port ever really did exist, or if those that claimed to have seen it, were actually looking at an early build of Fighters Megamix instead?

Anyways, I brought this topic up to my friend (who happens to be a Nintendo fan) and he said he had always wanted Soul Calibur on the N64. Which never really crossed my mind, but...I can kinda see it...

pramod

Banned
I guess I don't really understand the question (or the motivation). Why would you want to see a severely downgraded VF3 on the Saturn?

RAIDEN1

I guess I don't really understand the question (or the motivation). Why would you want to see a severely downgraded VF3 on the Saturn?
Exactly, instead the Dreamcast should have got an arcade perfect port....imagine if Sega brought out the definitive collection for current gen including the best version of VF4!

RetroAV

Mostly for science. Especially after seeing the Saturn do this:

And the Genesis do this:

Exactly, instead the Dreamcast should have got an arcade perfect port....imagine if Sega brought out the definitive collection for current gen including the best version of VF4!

Of course, I would want an arcade-perfect port to current platforms as well, but I just find porting it to the Saturn a lot more interesting. Just like I find Paprium more interesting on the Genesis than SoR4 on current platforms.

Castlevania SOTN for the Sega CD or Turbo Duo!

Maybe Axiom Verge for a 16-bit machine as well.

All these games would need serious adaptation, but if done right it would be amazing.

UnNamed

Banned
Virtua Fighter 3 has always been my favorite in the series and I've always wondered how it would have turned out on the Sega Saturn.
You look at Fighter's Megamix basically. I don't think it would be possibile to exceed that, at least in 1997/1998. Maybe with additional few years in development...

RetroAV

did SNK restrict 3rd party support on neogeo ? a beefy console like that deserved so much more
I have no idea, but I doubt it. I think it had more to do with development costs and/or the install base not making sense (business-wise) for third parties. Also, $200 carts. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gears of War just screams PlayStation to me to think Xbox is sitting on that franchise...

mansoor1980

Of course, seeing as you would have red-book audio, throw in some grainy FMV and you are good to go! Outside of Final Fight Capcom didn't go anything of note for the add-on....
what about the graphics/animation ? i wonder if it wud have come close to the 3do version of ssf2 turbo

RAIDEN1

what about the graphics/animation ? i wonder if it wud have come close to the 3do version of ssf2 turbo
Well they could have given it a shot, otherwise what was on the Genesis was acceptable enough...after all the Mega/Sega CD did have untapped potential, they could have done a cartridge CD combo like you had on the Saturn...that may have helped to get it close to the 3DO version....fact is though the music for the 3DO version would have quite easily fitted into the Sega/Mega CD version...

Last edited:
Top Bottom