• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games so good, they made you quit playing other games

Kumomeme

My biggest fear is than not even Dragon's Dogma 2 will have the combat depth that the original had.
hopefully same staff involved, and they use the first game as base and expanded it from there. for first game it is actually only around 1/3 or 30% of full original idea that they could incorporate in the game. imagine if they can bring what they cant before. in GDC presentation Hideaki Itsuno mention that originally the size actually twice than what we got. lets pray he also involved.

Last edited:

Hoddi

The Soulsborne games definitely did this for me. I've always been a big fan of hack'n'slash games but I only discovered DS/BB in 2016. So when I finally played God of War 2018 then it just bored the hell out of me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fortnite.

I was heavy into Overwatch until Fortnite dropped.

Now Hood Outlaws and Legends (a game pre Fortnite me would've loved) is about to come out and I'm like "Meh, Season 8 is about a month away. I'll just keep playing Fortnite."

Other games just do not appeal to me in the same way anymore. Standards have been raised.

fart town usa

Gold Member
OG RE 96, to this day still, lol.

Resistance 2 online coop, it was super easy and mindless but just fun as hell and the people who had headsets were always friendly. That was a really fun experience on the PS3. Put tons of hours into that when there were much better games to be playing.

anzhar

Dust 514 on PS3, 12 hours a day minimum until servers closed.

Stopped playing everything, even my daily 1 hour dose of sf2 or ketsui.

Took a hiatus until covid then started regularly on my old school arcade favourites once again

Dota 2 when I was in college with my friends.

But now I'm mostly interested in single-player games with engaging stories.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Recently I reinstalled MW2019 after having been playing Insurgency Sandstorm for the past few months and realized that I no longer like CODs style of game play. This made me wonder if anyone else has had experiences where certain games in certain genres have made them stop playing other games. I don't mean iterative games, ie. Smash 64 vs Melee, or Soul Calibur 2 vs 6, but games from different franchises.
Never heard about Insurgency, but checking wiki it's coming to consoles this year. I'll check it out.

As for me, I'm the opposite, as soon as I played COD on 360 way back it's the only shooter I regularly played. Dont play it much anymore but back during the COD 4 to BO 2 years, I spent most of gaming time playing that, NHL and some RPGs. Even now, I'm getting back into Cold War. Gears is my second most played shooter game on console and it's way back. It's like 95% COD, 3% Gears, 2% all other shooters. I want to like BF, but the snipefest gameplay and awful UI and freezing lobbies is a turn off.

I should give more shooters a chance as they all seem to play at 60 fps now. But back then COD was the only one at 60 fps. Hard to play shooters at 30 fps.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
This will be a strange one, but Guild Wars 2. Initially I was not very impressed with PVE and how slow and boring the story felt. I don't even like traditional MMORPGs if I'm being honest. But then I played long enough to find the World vs World mode where I met so many friends in competitive fight guilds. 7 years just kind of disappeared. I still have a great time talking to those people in discord to this day. It was fun to always conspire and fine-tune our group efforts/damage; or just stand around and laugh. It was a game mode where you didn't have to fight non-stop, and I have never found a more powerful social experience in all my years of gaming.

The biggest tragedy though is that the WvW game mode is really Anet's last priority. Guild vs guild fighting just happens to be something the community drove, not the developers, and that can only go so far.

Last edited:

Bridges

Rock Band 3 really killed my desire to do anything else for a good couple years.

For something more recent, I'll echo others and say Yakuza. I have to force myself to take breaks to not burn out, but it's been amazing going through them all. Started with 0 and will be starting 5 soonish. Can't wait to finally get to Like A Dragon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Must say after finally being bitten by the Monster Hunter (Rise) bug, it takes an inhuman amount of effort for me to even consider playing anything else at the moment on my Switch.
Once that game digs it's claws into you, the gameplay loop is like a crack addiction. :)
Same here, I put over 180 hours in to Rise and currently at HR 141......I just can't stop playing this game.

Knightime_X

Tekken 3 made me stop playing tekken 1.
Street Fighter 2 made me stop playing Sf1.

ff7 the greatest rpg of all time hasn't made me stop playing newer rpg titles

CloudNull

Banned
Valorant made me drop counter strike and all other FPS.

Half Life Alyx has made all other single player narrative games obsolete.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Breath of the Wild left me unable to play through Horizon:Zero Dawn. I kept trying to do even the smallest of things from BotW in Horizon and found myself getting so annoyed that I just put Horizon down and never could come back to it.

Catphish

I'm in a mode now where pretty much all I play is F1. Today I learned how to play it in VR. I don't know if I'll ever play another game again. ;)

Md Ray

Oddworld Soulstorm was so good it made me quit playing Crash 4.

Uncharted 2 was so good it made me quit playing Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Neolombax

None so far. I've never been a person to stick to a single game for too long. I am however playing Destiny 2 since Destiny 1, but I take breaks every now and then.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Street fighter 2 just made mortal Kombat seem shallow

Virtua Fighter. To my mind Much better than tekken. Tekken ain’t no slouch just VF is technical perfection in 3D fighting form, Dead or alive seemed like the perfect cross between Tekken and VF

Super Mario galaxy. Took me a while to get into the 3DS and Wii-U Mario 3D games.

Last edited:

Hestar69

BotW made me drop Horizon hard. When I tried to go back to horizon after playing BotW, it just felt outdated and stale. It was months before I could bring myself to finish it.
Weird, I was the opposite. played HZD first and it is so much better than BOTW it took me 3 tries and a few months to finally get into it (botw still good besides a few things though)

OT:bad company 2,BF3 and PUBG made me stop playing any other shooters when each came out.I really hope BF6 does the same.

There are a lot of games that "are like X but worse", so when we played the good one, it feels bad to play the "inferior ones"

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny 2, any time new content drops, it’s fuck off to anything else I would be playing.

SpokkX

BotW made me drop Horizon hard. When I tried to go back to horizon after playing BotW, it just felt outdated and stale. It was months before I could bring myself to finish it.
Exact same thing happened to me.. i eventually got back to Horizon and thought it had some good parts (story, dinos)… the open world and traversal was quite bad after botw still though

Sejan

Weird, I was the opposite. played HZD first and it is so much better than BOTW it took me 3 tries and a few months to finally get into it (botw still good besides a few things though)

OT:bad company 2,BF3 and PUBG made me stop playing any other shooters when each came out.I really hope BF6 does the same.
To me, the moment that killed horizon for me was when I was heading toward a random mission marker some ways away. There was a mountain between me and that marker. I figured that it was faster to go straight there rather than take the long way around, so I made a bee line straight there. I got 99% of the way up the mountain and I found myself completely stuck behind a waist high wall where I could clearly see my way to the other side of the mountain. This open world game placed an invisibility wall in the way blocking my way over a ledge that almost no one in the real world would even be slowed down by.

Horizon had better graphics. It had better enemy design. The story was better. The gameplay mechanics were a generation old and were completely surpassed less than a week later. After experiencing the freedom of BotW, Horizon just felt antiquated.

It’s fair to say that BotW wasn’t the only game reimagining open world gameplay around the time: Dying Light, AC: Origins, and a few others were making similar improvements. They just left Horizon behind as far as mechanics went.

Xenoblade Chronicles series. Every one of them was all I could play at the time. When I wasn't playing I was looking forward to playing.

Breath of the Wild was the same way, I even took the Switch to work to play during my breaks which I typically work through.

Fallout games especially once I got into modding.

Forza Horizon games for the first couple months.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
A while back WoW made me quit EQ1 and EQ2, more recently I quit wow for FF14.

Most single player RPGs will make me quit other games at the time but I always come back and finish them.

SF Alpha came out in the arcades and I stopped playing everything else.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games gotta start somewhere sequels show games blossom, mass effect emerged obviously great but mass effect 2 and 1 are night and day difference.

Shai-Tan

Banned
my hours played this year is like
Total War: Warhammer II > 500 hours
Monster Train ~250 hours
Ring of Pain ~70 hours
Everything else < 100 hours

so yeah...

Warhammer is my go to game, although I'm almost burned out at this point. Then I find games like Monster Train and get so hooked I'll play it hours and hours a day until I feel physically sick. Luckily I disliked the latest update which innoculated me from playing it more.

Last edited:

luffie

Not really all other games but... Bloodborne made me quit gacha games forever.

I was playing some mobile rpg, grinding and all that when I finally bought and decide to play Bloodborne.
The only thing in my mind was "why the fuck am I grinding and doing dailies in mobile when I could spend time on this????"

I never looked back since, never touched gacha again.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The Last of Us: Part II

Everything else just seems like an indie game in comparison. Presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay, writing, story. Everything just way, WAY worse.

Couldnt even bring myself to play more than 1 hour of Ghosts of Tsushima when it launched righter after I finished TLOU2.

Last edited:

Griffon

- FZero GX makes ever other racer look and play like shit.
- Perfect Dark keeps ruining every other single player shooter for me (while MP shooters have evolved beyond).
- Castlevania Rondo of Blood is still unequaled in the Action Platformer genre.

I can launch any of those games any day of the week and have a grand ol' time. Perfect Dark XBLA Remake has been a godsend for that (with 60fps and dual analog controls).

While I think it could still be somehow possible to make good sequels or spiritual sequels to GX and PD (it would take a fuckton of great talent, but it's not completely impossible), I don't think Rondo of Blood can ever be scratched in its genre.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Recently I reinstalled MW2019 after having been playing Insurgency Sandstorm for the past few months and realized that I no longer like CODs style of game play. This made me wonder if anyone else has had experiences where certain games in certain genres have made them stop playing other games. I don't mean iterative games, ie. Smash 64 vs Melee, or Soul Calibur 2 vs 6, but games from different franchises.
At one point i was playing ac origins and dragon age inquisition and realised they were just not as good as witcher 3, then after spending 50 hours on witcher 3 4 month break and decided to play dragonage origins (this was the 6th time playing it and never completing the game) i fucking loved it, id honestly say its one of my fav rpgs of all time and made me realise that witcher 3s combat is abso messy but the side quests is what kept me hooked because they all had there own storys

V4skunk

Banned
Fortnite.

I was heavy into Overwatch until Fortnite dropped.

Now Hood Outlaws and Legends (a game pre Fortnite me would've loved) is about to come out and I'm like "Meh, Season 8 is about a month away. I'll just keep playing Fortnite."

Other games just do not appeal to me in the same way anymore. Standards have been raised.
You mean you have very low standards.

RAIDEN1

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, once that is here, all other games are on pause...I'm in the midst of trying to complete Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I doubt it will be this weekend, then there is the small matter of looking at the Spiderman DLC, getting through Spec Ops the line...recently brought Resistance fall of man but not sure WHEN I'll get to that....yet to check out Blur either..

Bragr

Banned
I have the same problem with all the new open-world Assassin's Creed games, I like them but Breath of the Wild makes them feel really old school.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
3LGbc2m.gif

Roblox: The revolution.....

...so good I gave up my PS5....

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Thats really interesting. I played HZD a year after BOTW and enjoyed it, but the world felt bad. The story kept me going and I enjoyed the fort raids.

That being said, GOT is a reskin of the same game and by that point I was tired of it.
Horizon is bland and average. At least GOT has a decent story and characters aswell as much more interesting World.

Danknugz

the skate series made me never play a Tony hawk again, but I never really respected it in the first place as a skate game (it’s a good “get lots of points” game and I understand why people like it, but it’s a horrible skateboarding game)

brian0057

Banned
That hasn't happened to me.
What I have is a list of the greatest games of all time and all I do is compare every game I play with said list.
Nothing post-2011 has managed to make its way to said list.

Top Bottom