• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that can learn from their past

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What games in your opinion can learn from their past? I’ll go ahead and say Battlefield V and that it can learn from 1943 with its simplicity and overall original take on the WW2 scene.
Shoot away.

brian0057

Banned
This games, in my opinion, are the apex of their respective series and they should look at them for inspiration.

Call of Duty 2.
Assassin's Creed.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Thief II: The Metal Age.
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.
Need For Speed: Underground 2 or Most Wanted.
Mass Effect.

Vawn

Banned
I would have said Resident Evil, but just as I was about to give up on the franchise RE7 comes out and totally delivered on what made the original games so great.

Kreydo

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Fallout
Elder Scroll

Basicaly all those RPG who sacrified their deph for just being fancy.

Need for Speed should look back at Hot Pursuit 2010 and Most Wanted 2012. Those game had a pure focus of fun cops v robbers driving with exotics, none of the cringy story crap, always online and loot boxes of the recent games

brian0057

Banned
When's the last time you played this? Morrowind was better than it in just about every way.

IMHO ofc

I love Morrowind. It's a fantastic game, but Daggerfall is the superior RPG experience. Deeper RPG mechanics, way more factions to choose from, labyrinthine dungeon design, NPC conversations where even the tone in which you say things is taken into account, and unlike its successor, it has fast travel.

In short and IMHO, Daggerfall > Oblivion > Morrowind > the rest.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I liked that Resident Evil 7 did this after 6's bad reception. Get rid of the Michael Bay action bullshit and strip it back down to a spooky house with random objects that open doors for no good reason.

DS_Joost

Need for Speed should look back at Hot Pursuit 2010 and Most Wanted 2012. Those game had a pure focus of fun cops v robbers driving with exotics, none of the cringy story crap, always online and loot boxes of the recent games

They should look at any game in the series BUT those. I love Need For Speed. Let Burnout be it's own thing please!

brian0057

Banned

You misspelled Most Wanted 2005. The 2012 version is the last thing this series should look at for inspiration along with anything after Carbon..

Last edited:
You misspelled Most Wanted 2005. The 2012 version is the last thing this series should look at for inspiration along with anything after Carbon..
The 2012 version was only very hated because of it's name. The gameplay was some of the best in the series, and the multiplayer offering is by far best of the series as well. Also the most well-designed open world in Need for Speed. Really sells the feeling of being in an urban labyrinth.

Stories in racing games is an outdated concept, and should remain a thing of the past. Only game that's really done it well was Driver: San Francisco.

johntown

Banned
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Fallout
Elder Scroll

Basicaly all those RPG who sacrified their deph for just being fancy.
I could not agree more. They need to stop stripping out all the RPG elements that made the game great to begin with!

First Mass Effect was great! The second was very good too but it was the start of stripping the RPG out of the game.

Dragon Age Origins was amazing! It has been downhill after that but I actually like Inquisition a bit as they brought some stuff back.

Fallout - have not played the first ones but I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I enjoy Fallout 4 but not nearly as much as the others as I don't really care about crafting and the game seems to center on that.

Elder Scrolls - Didn't start until Morrowind but all of the games are amazing unlike the others listed here but it still fits the learn from past games.

IMO CD Project Red and From Software are the only devs left that make decent RPG's.

DS_Joost

The 2012 version was only very hated because of it's name. The gameplay was some of the best in the series, and the multiplayer offering is by far best of the series as well. Also the most well-designed open world in Need for Speed. Really sells the feeling of being in an urban labyrinth.

Stories in racing games is an outdated concept, and should remain a thing of the past. Only game that's really done it well was Driver: San Francisco.

It was hated because it turned Need for Speed into Burnout. Even people who love both NFS and Burnout didn't want the two to mix. They should be their own thing. The open world was absolutely atrocious, a mix of brown, brown and more brown. It was empty and bland.

They tried to blend NFS and Burnout. What we got was a either a half-assed Burnout, or a shit NFS. Take your pick.

NFS was a series before Underground. A great series. It was about getting the chance to test exotic cars you could never even touch on some of the most fantastic roads on the planet (fantasy roads, but still). It had this car magazine culture all over it.

Of course, when an exotic handles like a go kart, the whole exclusive feeling goes right out the window. THAT is what Most Wanted did wrong.

I continue to see Driveclub as the thing that actually comes closest to the older games. EA should look at that game, and their own past before Underground and actually look at what made the series succesful to begin with.

Last edited:
Fear. The second one reminded me of Virtua Cop. Haven't played third, but hear that's the werst.
Interstate 76. OK, so there was one sequel, but it was the original open world vehicle shooter with a great damage model that could've been improved upon. Instead we get a simple health bar to represent the entire car. Game also didn't seem to have the soul of the 70's...

It was hated because it turned Need for Speed into Burnout. Even people who love both NFS and Burnout didn't want the two to mix. They should be their own thing. The open world was absolutely atrocious, a mix of brown, brown and more brown. It was empty and bland.

They tried to blend NFS and Burnout. What we got was a either a half-assed Burnout, or a shit NFS. Take your pick.

NFS was a series before Underground. A great series. It was about getting the chance to test exotic cars you could never even touch on some of the most fantastic roads on the planet (fantasy roads, but still). It had this car magazine culture all over it.

Of course, when an exotic handles like a go kart, the whole exclusive feeling goes right out the window. THAT is what Most Wanted did wrong.

I continue to see Driveclub as the thing that actually comes closest to the older games. EA should look at that game, and their own past before Underground and actually look at what made the series succesful to begin with.
Do you even know what go karts handle like? The handling in MW 2012 was pure arcade fun.
And what you describe about the map? Thats the point you know. That's what an urban labyrinth is. You saying that proves the point that the game only succeeds in bring the rust-belt city feel to the game.
"empty" I'm guessing you played a different game? Maybe fuel or need for speed payback?
The MW 2005 master race need to take off their nostalgia glasses for once, and look around a bit. Cringe stories do not belong in racing games anymore.

Jarbloko

3d sonics..
no more boost formula.
no more wisp.
no more parktour from lost world.
just make better the adventure mechanics and camera.

DS_Joost

Do you even know what go karts handle like? The handling in MW 2012 was pure arcade fun.
And what you describe about the map? Thats the point you know. That's what an urban labyrinth is. You saying that proves the point that the game only succeeds in bring the rust-belt city feel to the game.
"empty" I'm guessing you played a different game? Maybe fuel or need for speed payback?
The MW 2005 master race need to take off their nostalgia glasses for once, and look around a bit. Cringe stories do not belong in racing games anymore.

Call me Need for Speed II master race then 😉

Dunno about the handling... I found it atrocious. I hate thr drifty style gameplay. Give me Driveclub or NFS II any day of the week... different strokes I guess.

Last edited:

Codes 208

3d sonics..
no more boost formula.
no more wisp.
no more parktour from lost world.
just make better the adventure mechanics and camera.
Eh, at this point i dont trust sega to make a competent sonic game anymore. Last year they proved that a group of fans can make a better game than they can.

anthraticus

Banned
I love Morrowind. It's a fantastic game, but Daggerfall is the superior RPG experience. Deeper RPG mechanics, way more factions to choose from, labyrinthine dungeon design, NPC conversations where even the tone in which you say things is taken into account, and unlike its successor, it has fast travel.

In short and IMHO, Daggerfall > Oblivion > Morrowind > the rest.
I agree with Daggerfall being the best ES game, but Oblivion really stunk and was def worse than Morrowind. (the idiot compass and horrible level scaling alone completely ruined it. (not that it would be good anyways, but still)

Top Bottom