• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that disappointed you this generation

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FUCKING LOL. You should be a comedian.
Have you played Monster Hunter Rise Demo? In my opinion its one of the better looking games on Switch and the performance very stable.

Monster Hunter Rise:
gm-1677ab6e-3662-47b5-bd15-1b2c3263c3f9-mhriseflooded-forest2-1024x576.jpg

QND8OZ1.jpg

Pokemon Sword and Shield
EJxJtgcWkAE5ukd.jpg

pokemon.jpeg

Last edited:

Silvawuff

For me it’s Xenoblade Chronicles... the updated one on Switch. After all the hype it’s just... yeah. I played it for a good 30 hours and dropped it, so I did give it a solid chance. Nothing about it was grabbing me at all.

Flutta

Banned
Try Valhalla, though. I've never liked AC but I really enjoy Valhalla, which was a big surprise to me.
I was interested in ACV until i saw skillups review. Looks like Valhalla Is suffering from the same issues that made me hate Odyssey and Origins. I seriously dont get it how ubi is still having a hard time fixing their janky combat/animation system. They prob dont care.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If I had to choose one I'd be ME Andromeda.

ME1 is one of the best games ever made, ME2 was an amazing sequel and ME3 was a fine game despite the bad direction they took it. Read all the books and love the universe... Then came Andromeda. I slogged myself through it because I love the universe so much but damn it was so bad. So, so, bad.

Erdrick

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. An absolute failure for me and the one Metal Gear game that I have yet to force myself to finish. Just such a disappointment to me. I was a massive fan of the series since first playing it on the NES but this just had no soul. Clearly rushed for what Kojima wanted to do, and for as much clout that Sutherland brought, he had so few lines compared to previous games... Mother Base was so empty feeling...

It's so infuriating, since the gameplay is the best the series ever saw, otherwise.

Just a terrible way to end such a magnificent series. And no, I don't consider MG Survive a MG game.

Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Corgi1985

Banned
Have you played Monster Hunter Rise Demo? In my opinion its one of the better looking games on Switch and the performance very stable.

Monster Hunter Rise:
gm-1677ab6e-3662-47b5-bd15-1b2c3263c3f9-mhriseflooded-forest2-1024x576.jpg

QND8OZ1.jpg

Pokemon Sword and Shield
EJxJtgcWkAE5ukd.jpg

pokemon.jpeg
On no planet in the universe does pokemon sword look good. It doesn't even pass mediocre. Hell even the trees are worse than N64 quality.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
On no planet in the universe does pokemon sword look good. It doesn't even pass mediocre. Hell even the trees are worse than N64 quality.
Thats my point, Switch is much more capable which Capcom used it fully to make MHRise, while Gamefreak didn't do much with Pokemon.

Alan Wake

I was interested in ACV until i saw skillups review. Looks like Valhalla Is suffering from the same issues that made me hate Odyssey and Origins. I seriously dont get it how ubi is still having a hard time fixing their janky combat/animation system. They prob dont care.

I have never liked AC, I've tried a bunch of them but always given up. Not so with Valhalla, so I will revisit Odyssey and Origins later this year to compare them again. There are absolutely issues in Valhalla, but I just think they made a much more fun game this time with a story that I care about.

Rudius

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I study ancient philosophy and always wanted a game set in Greece. Putting aside all the grind and micro transactions push, I was very disappointed at how disrespectful it was to History and reality in general. I don't know what os more annoying: finding a cyclops or a giant black pirate woman on some mission...

raduque

Doom Eternal. I loved Doom 2016, but the gameplay changes they made to Eternal just made it un-fun to play for me. The timing is too tight, I didn't like having to use all the guns, the chain hook, or all the jumping and swinging crap needed.

SpiceRacz

A Hat in Time - Awful level design to the point that I gave up on it. The fact anyone could consider this the best 3D platformer this gen is a joke.

HBx2000

That new God of War game. For me it's just way too different than previous entries. It has Kratos, but that's almost the only resemblance.
Uncharted 4, I completed it, but didn't have a good time playing it. I hated that brother that came out of nowhere.

Forza Horizon 3, that desert named Australia, it just wasn't the playground I like to drive on and the radio wasn't all that great for me.

Rage 2 and Agents of Mayhem. These games should have had co-op. I think that would have helped a lot for a fun experience.
Wolfenstein 2 and Youngblood. These games get worse with every entry it seems. Less trying to be a movie aka shorter cutscenes.

Doom Eternal. This felt like too much of a radical change to the 2016 hit. It's like i'm playing part 3 and they skipped the second one.

Battlefield 1. I know it's a game and not realistic, but why keep the goddamn slow reloading from the first World War.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

To each their own, but man, there's some weird takes in this hoe, lmao.
  • Wolfenstein: Young Blood - Taking the series in that direction was not something any Wolfestein fan wanted. It was done poorly on top of that, IMO.
  • Fallout 4 - It just felt like a hollow experience. I remember FO3 and New Vegas no problem. FO4 I hardly remember aside from base building.
  • The Last of Us 2 - In the end, it felt like a sequel that really didn't need to exist whatsoever. Game mechanics improved and the game was pretty, sure. But I personally feel like the content that was there diluted the series. I look at TLOU, and I have positive things to think and say. I look at TLOU2, and all I feel myself complimenting are the graphics and gameplay improvements. Which sounds great for a video game. But for the type of video game TLOU2 is and is trying to be, everything else needs to be at the same level of quality and it just wasn't there IMO.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda - A sequel no one asked for or expected and it was done incredibly poorly.
  • Avengers - Never really had hope for it, but it was a disgusting, shallow, and greedy GaaS. Really just hoping to profit off the brand.
  • Street Fighter V - At release it was an incredibly shallow experience. It's gotten better with time, and will continue to. But that netcode needs help, JFC.
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - An ever so slight improvement over X, but still an incredibly stiff and clunky feeling fighter. I just wish they'd go back to MK9's gameplay.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - After all the development woes I reserved my expectations as much as possible. I was STILL disappointed. I completed the game, but it was a struggle. At about 80-85% of the game's campaign, I officially stopped caring about the story and just wanted to be done as fast as possible. For CDPR, it was one of the most ambitious games they had ever done, and the end result was "fine". But the mechanics were straight up missing or were incredibly poor. Some had been done better by games that were/are 10+ years old.

mxbison

Street Fighter 5
SF4 was my most played PS3 game and everything about SF5 was shit from the start. Barebones, ugly, broken game modes, boring playstyle and combos.

Red Dead Redemption 2

It looked amazing but everything about that game just annoyed me so much. I felt relieved when I decided to drop it after about 10 hours.

Cyberpunk 2077
I actually enjoyed that game a lot, probably a 9/10 for me, but it could have been so much more.

Freeman76

I dont have high expectations of games in general, you never know how they will turn out and even the best devs can use scummy tactics to increase revenue.

Having said that, Sekiro having no MP element to help my low skilled ass with summons really pissed me off no end 😂😂

Arkam

This gen my biggest disappointments were all aspects of games that I actually loved.

RDR2... Those controls{shutters}. Literally takes hours and hours to get them feeling relatively normal.

Death Stranding … You cant kill anybody despite giving you guns. Did not see that one coming.

GoT... the climbing. Coming from DS & BOTW this felt archaic.

Speaking of BOTW... the lack of unique feeling dungeons. The four temples looked/felt too similar. And facing Blight Gannon each time was equally lame.

Borderlands 3 was a bit of a letdown. BL2 is like my favourite game of all time, sank countless hours into it and replayed it a ridiculous amount of times.

3, the story was awful, and the characters were cringey. Say what you want about the writing in 2, but this game was missing Anthony Burch.

There was just something... Off about this game. The locations just didn't feel right, the story sucked. I don't know, it just didn't feel the same. Don't get me wrong, the upgrades to the gameplay from 2 were fantastic, but the overall feeling I get playing it just isn't the same. I've done one full play through and started another one which I probably got a few hours into. Since that, I've not touched the game since. Shame.

wa600

Kingdom Hearts 3: Mostly because of the gameplay. On proud mode you just constantly spam your attacks from the beginning of the game until the end. There was absolutely zero challenge. Attractions were the most awful addition they could have come up with. If you decided not to use them, you accidently activated them from time to time. But even without them, there was hardly any flow to battles because of the constant keyblade formchanges.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Blows my mind how well this one is received. The battle system is mostly fun (although too easy on normal), certain moments were recreated faithfully with some amazing graphics and character interactions were mostly entertaining. On the other side the game felt soo drawn out. We went from a 5 hour section to a 35-40 hour section without really adding anything meaningful to the plot. Actually, with the exception of flashing out Avalanche (which was great), all other changes were rather bad. Especially that last chapter has to be one of the worst endings I ever played in my life.
Game felt also 'too anime' for my taste. With those more realistic looking graphics I had a hard time taking some scenes seriously. Like the cutscenes with Cloud on his motorcycle and the ShinRa troups letting themselves getting 'run over' one after another without any resistance. It feels so saturday-morning-show where they constantly show how amazing the 'own' group is, but how stupid the others are.

Top Bottom