• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that disappointed you this generation

Self

Shenmue 3 = boring gameplay without any sense of innovation.

MGS V = boring landscape, downgraded story and stupid micromanagnent.

Witcher 3 = the worst gameplay of the generation combined with the worst controls I've ever experienced in my live.

Final Fantasy Atigo I think? (Forgot what the name even is now)

Played an hour and never again after that. I was so hyped for the PSP Verison back in 2010 or something.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Astral Chain, ran like shit and the gameplay bored me quickly.

SkylineRKR

Shenmue 3.

I loved Shenmue 1 and 2 so much. They were my favourite childhood games. =(

Why's Shenmue 3 so terrible?

Because Yu Suzuki was likely in a bubble and its still just a KS project.

The combat design is awful, perhaps for cost cutting reasons. But some mechanics like the health degradation have nothing to do with development costs, as well as the terrible story that doesn't move forward at all (they have all this VA on hand, and they deliver a whole load of nothing with it).

Shenmue 3 is a piece of shit that likely killed the franchise for good. And I don't even care anymore, which I have to thank S3 for.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I absolutely loved Wildlands. The reveal for Breakpoint made the game look like a big upgrade from the former game. What the hell happened?

Camreezie

The Last of Us 2 ( the story)
Batman Arkham Knight ( the story and lead up)
The Phantom Pain (particularly the last third)

Guilty_AI

God of War comes to mind.

Huge fan of the original trilogy and the new game doesn't come even close to what made the series so good in the first place.
They attempt some new directions with the RPG elements and a heavier focus on history, but these aspects hardly stand out too much from the crowd. Overall feels like a very diluted god of war experience with some standardized trending elements added for the sake of mass appeal.

Rambotito

Gears 5 : I just got franchise fatigue and didn't want to learn the new weapons and mechanics. I had no interest in the protagonist and hated seeing everyone grow old and bald.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey : Don't try to play this after spending 100 hours and finishing Origins - it's too much of the same but has even larger areas and feels overwhelming, yet less interesting.

Fallout 76 : Do I have to justify this? Survival mechanics that you have to worry about when you log in, and a lonely solo journey throughout a map that has no clear level difficulty transition. You will be fighting a level 20 bandit and then the next minute a level 70 bug is trying to eat you. Corpse runs, empty buildings, weapon and armor degradation, and 10 other real life players that you can't even chat with. Paying $13 a month for extra storage and the ability to get away from other players in a multiplayer focused game. Yes I know they are improving it but man was that the biggest crock of sh#¢ game I've ever played at release.

Anthem : I think I lasted about 4 hours until I uninstalled it. Every mission was just a repeat of the last one with maybe one little difference. Find this, touch that, kill them. Every single time.

rapid32.5

Cyberpunk 2077, not the performance but the world and missions, stopped playing a few missions in.
Killing dozens and dozens of enemies mindlessly what a nightmare, not fun, no point.
Went back to Witcher 3, it's night and day world atmosphere difference.

Last edited:

Lickety

Neo Member
New Horizons was a big disappointment, I put it down after a week of playing.

Went back to the original on Gamecube for a bit to compare and it ended up being the most fun I've had in a long time with the Animal Crossing series.

zkorejo

RDR 2 - story was a drag, a bit dumb and the feel was overall depressing. Awesome gameplay and world though.

TLOU 2 - Should have been a standalone game without Ellie and Joel altogether. Gameplay wasn't all that better than the first.

Cyberpunk 2077 - short story, lots of missed opportunities in terms of story, characters. Awesome side missions and great story although felt very short. Gameplay is good enough for an open world modern setting. I didn't expect it to be the new GTA so wasn't all that disappointed in the gameplay aspect tbh.

"RDR 2, MGSV, FF 15"

Big Brother Fight GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

NBA 2k21 next gen. I like certain aspects of the game but I expected a HUGE jump in in game physics, animation, etc that’s just not there. I don’t know if we’ll ever get major innovation in the sports genre anymore because each sport game has a monopoly. EA has soccer locked up (pes is inferior and no one plays it). EA has Football as well with Madden. 2k has basketball. Like they have no real competition and so they see no need to make major changes.

Last edited:
In no particular order.

Battlefield 5
CyberSpunk 2077
Mafia Definitive Edition
Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
Fallout 4
GTA online
RDR online
Anthem
For Honor
Mafia 3
Borderlands The Handsome Collection
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

Last edited:
I ended up not playing the games that I found disappointing because I read reviews prior. So, Andromeda, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk, etc. But MGSV I did play and even though I think its pretty great, the lack of focus on the story was a let down. Also the whole "true ending" stuff rubbed me the wrong way.

Destiny 2 at launch. They took a great game like Destiny 1 and changed everything u liked. Years later they are still trying to fix that mistake.
Anthem still liked it. But it was more of a single player 1 and done game and not the GAAS it should've been. brain dead enemies and no guns
Uncharted 4 multiplayer sucks compared to Uncharted 2 or 3 multiplayer. I actually bought a PS4 for this.
WWE 2K20. Was nearly unplayable at launch. Now its kinda playable. devs just kinda bounced and stopped patching it after 2 months. Never even got roster update DLC like the 8 previous iterations.
Witcher 3. i luv the lore. the way the game looks. But i had more fun playing Two Worlds back in 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn. I like everything about it except actually playing it.
MGS V. I haven't put much time into it. But every other MGS i got obsessed with and played nonstop. I get bored after about 20 mins
Red Dead 2 at launch. aiming made it unplayable to me. And i find it too tedious to play. It swung too hard into the realism
Life is Strange 2. Luv the first game. Played an episode or 2 of the sequel. And no thanks.
All DICE games after BF4. I bought an Xbox One to play Star Wars Battlefront. what a big mistake that was. Beautiful game with shallow gameplay. Then instead of building off of the great BF4, Battlefield One just felt like Star Wars Battlefront in a WW1 skin. Another shallow unfun experience. Then they triple and quadruple downed with the sequels SW BF II and BF5. They just keep making the same bad game. After making so many good ones in the 360/PS3 gen. They absolutely killed my luv of Battlefield and forced me to play COD again.
Agents of Mayhem. I love Saints Row. I love CrackDown. i also love GI Joe. It is painfully boring to shoot enemies and run around the same areas
Tekken 7. I went from playing tons of Tekken. To pretty much never playing this series again. Mainly due to Rage Arts and lack of content/roster.
Avengers. I really like it as a single player game. As a multiplayer game it doesn't even function and they've barely added content since launch. A looter shooter with invisible loot wasn't a good idea.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint. They somehow tricked me with the free trial. Because i liked it enough to buy it. Wanted my money back after about 2 hours.
Division 2. Couldn't hold my attention for more than a day. Even tho i like the original

i would refund like half of these if i could

Tschumi

I have to say cyberpunk... But really, that's not really their fault. I had sky high hopes for the game, mostly because of my own imaginings. I didn't consume much if their hype stuff.

It's still a fantastic game, just not quite the Matrix that i expected

sncvsrtoip

Horizon Zero Down - one of most boring game I finished, didn't enjoy
Gow - not bad but for me overhyped, didn't like empty world, almost no npc's etc. not my type of game
from not aaa games but with very good scores What Remains of Edith Finch and Journey, just didn't get what was all the fuss about

Last edited:

Fbh

MGSV: It's Metal Gear without pretty much everything I liked about metal gear.

FFXV: Everything except the music and visuals was worse than I expected. The game needed a full length CG movie, anime prologue, 2 years worth of updates and like 6 pieces of DLC to sort of reach the level of polish and completion an average RPG should give you out of the box. And even then the story still sucks, the combat gets repetitive fast, it has horrible boss fights, a bland open world, crappy magic system and one of the biggest downgrades from reveal trailer to release this gen.

TLOU2: Story is one of the main reasons I enjoyed the first one so much and I didn't like the director it went here. And while the core gameplay improved the game felt at least like 10 hours too long to me, the pacing was bad, the scavenging gets boring after a while and I just don't think it had the enemy, enconter or setpiece variety to justify a 30 hours length.

Life

Death Stranding, of course. People think Cyber is bad cos of bug and it needing major polish. What about DS which was totally polished and was somehow meant to be enjoyable? Makes it a much bigger disappointment.

Topher

Gold Member
Watch Dogs Legion - I wanted more Marcus but got a bunch of lifeless caricature NPCs instead.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Really wanted to like it, but it became such a chore to play. Loved the shines, but not much else

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I have a hard time being motivated to continue playing Rockstar games for some reason. Only one I actually finished was L.A. Noire which I felt was unique. Guess it was foolish to get my hopes up that RDR2 would be different from the usual formula.

The Order: 1886 - Such a great concept for a game, but horribly executed.

Bkdk

All BioWare releases, death stranding, last of us 2, cyberpunk 2077, fallout 76, life is strange 2, rage 2, far cry 5, shadow of the tomb Raider, avengers, Warcraft 3 reforged, no mans sky, final fantasy 15, agony, hatred, watch dogs, the division

phil_t98

#SonyToo
For me I would have to say

Gears 4

just not enough personality in the game, it’s like they forgot that the game was set up around oversized characters like the action films from the 80’s.
the robots that you fight at first were uninspired and just felt like that whole section was a slogfest.
The graphics were really good and just as I felt the game started to get going it suddenly ended. It felt far to short for what it was

gears 5 seemed to get back on track but I would like to see a bit of the horror element added back into the game like gears 1 was.

Kupfer

Only the ones I spent some hours with and decided not to play any further.

I had high hopes for

Fallout 4
DOOM 2016
Witcher 3
Gravity Rush 2
Gears4
Halo - Master Chief Collection (Steam - not playable in online coop because of the worst netcode I have ever witnessed)

but stopped playing and don't look back.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Only the ones I spent some hours with and decided not to play any further.

I had high hopes for

Fallout 4
DOOM 2016
Witcher 3
Gravity Rush 2
Gears4
Halo - Master Chief Collection (Steam - not playable in online coop because of the worst netcode I have ever witnessed)

but stopped playing and don't look back.
WHAT THE FUCK?!!

wvnative

the last of us 2

FF15

Kingdom Hearts 3....? (Main game was fun but shallow, but the remind patch rebalanced combat and now its my favorite kingdom hearts so does this list include games that were bad at launch but made good later?)

cyberpunk 2077

AC Unity

Days Gone

Crash and Spyro remakes, although Spyro was better kind of

The great thing though, for every disappointment I had this gen there was an equal number of nice surprises. So it's still one of my favorite generations and a great improvement over gen 7 for me

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Rage 2.

I was a huge fan of the original Rage.

So much that i was buying Rage 2 despite already feeling it wasn't the successor i hoped it would be.

I thought how bad can it be. It's sure a good game i said. id Software is involved.

It realy hurt my feelings to see what they (Avalanche Studios) did with this beloved franchise.

The game was completely lifeless. No soul, no heart, no love where put into crafting a beautiful world to play in.

Rage looked so good on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 for its time and yet Rage 2 was just hard to look at for me.

The gunplay was good. But it was obvious after the first hour that this was the only contribution from id Software.

Iam still mad at them for putting their name under the game and advertising it.

An "avalanche" that buried a game that could have been so much more and made me "Rage" quit.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I knew it, and when I was writing my post I thought about justifying myself. The game is actually great, but I loved the original Gravity Rush on the Vita so much and on the Ps4 it just didn't click.
You play it all or in what scenario you reach?

For me GR 2 is better than GR 1, But both are masterpieces

Last edited:

kyussman

Mass Effect Andromeda obviously and as a big Wolfenstein fan New Colossus....I think they must have spent too much of their budget on the cut scenes and didn't have enough left for the actual game,lol....I still enjoyed it because I like the franchise,but it was a step down from The New Order which was a shame.

kyussman

Rage 2.

I was a huge fan of the original Rage.

So much that i was buying Rage 2 despite already feeling it wasn't the successor i hoped it would be.

I thought how bad can it be. It's sure a good game i said. id Software is involved.

It realy hurt my feelings to see what they (Avalanche Studios) did with this beloved franchise.

The game was completely lifeless. No soul, no heart, no love where put into crafting a beautiful world to play in.

Rage looked so good on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 for its time and yet Rage 2 was just hard to look at for me.

The gunplay was good. But it was obvious after the first hour that this was the only contribution from id Software.

Iam still mad at them for putting their name under the game and advertising it.

An "avalanche" that buried a game that could have been so much more and made me "Rage" quit.
Yea,I loved the first game too.Like you said the gunplay was a lot of fun in Rage 2,everything else not so much,lol......on the plus side I honestly thought the franchise was dead,so when they announced a second game I was pretty shocked....in that respect I consider it a bonus game,which I never thought I'd get.

Kupfer

You play it all or in what scenario you reach?

For me GR 2 is better than GR 1, But both are masterpieces
Last mission I remember was some kind of a sneak around soldiers and get into some kind of hole in the middle of the area. Maybe 4-5 hours in the game. For me, the principle of GR, it's charme and the controls are made for the Vita. It just was no fun on a stationary TV.
Another thing which bothers me is the fact that I never ever could unlock each and every costume, pose and talisman because in 2018, just one and a half year after GR2's release, the game's online services and therefore the Dusty Tokens have been discontinued. Massive bummer.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Yea,I loved the first game too.Like you said the gunplay was a lot of fun in Rage 2,everything else not so much,lol......on the plus side I honestly thought the franchise was dead,so when they announced a second game I was pretty shocked....in that respect I consider it a bonus game,which I never thought I'd get.
I was suprised too when i heard that Rage 2 was in development.

I played all through the game after i bought it but at the end i wished they had never made it.

kyussman

I was suprised too when i heard that Rage 2 was in development.

I played all through the game after i bought it but at the end i wished they had never made it.
It's hilarious to me because when they announced it was truly open world this time I thought,I hope it isn't like so many other open world games with endless bandit outposts to clear....but in Rage 2 that is literally all it is....a giant map full of bandit outposts to clear and nothing else,lol....the talking car was a nice touch though.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Last mission I remember was some kind of a sneak around soldiers and get into some kind of hole in the middle of the area. Maybe 4-5 hours in the game. For me, the principle of GR, it's charme and the controls are made for the Vita. It just was no fun on a stationary TV.
Another thing which bothers me is the fact that I never ever could unlock each and every costume, pose and talisman because in 2018, just one and a half year after GR2's release, the game's online services and therefore the Dusty Tokens have been discontinued. Massive bummer.
I can't deny that the first hour of Gravity rush 2 can be heavy, but when you advance the scenario of gravity rush 2 jirga para lhao, the game improves a lot, in story mode and in every aspect.

I finished it, and I can say that it is one of the best games of all time, and the best game I have ever played in my life.

On the extras, give thanks to the stupidity of Sony, composed of Shawn Layden and the nefarious Jim Ryan among others ... I Just going to tell you, Gravity rush 2, is the Zelda Breath of the wild competition as best game 2017. I have both consoles and titles to say these words.

Listen to me, the game is awesome, dont be like Gaming journalist that they dont complete the game give their opinion.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

It's hilarious to me because when they announced it was truly open world this time I thought,I hope it isn't like so many other open world games with endless bandit outposts to clear....but in Rage 2 that is literally all it is....a giant map full of bandit outposts to clear and nothing else,lol....the talking car was a nice touch though.
It's so sad. So sad...

It didn't even look that bad in the first trailers. More like a change of style.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not too many games that I was excited for prior to release actually let me down. But...

p27ADYN.jpg

...was the main one. I put over 150 hours playing and replaying REmake 2. I just had a lot of fun racing through the game optimizing routes and getting maximum ranking on all scenarios and difficulties. The extra modes weren't as amazing but still offered several hours of enjoyment as well. In fact this post made me want to play again!

Meanwhile I barely hit 25 hours in REmake 3. Was enjoyable enough to unlock everything but I didn't really enjoy figuring out optimal routes or dealing with the new enemies. The complete lack of extra modes was super disappointing and Project Resistance added nothing for me.

Don't get me wrong. I like REmake 3 and don't regret buying it at full price. But it didn't dominate my game time like I had hoped it would.

Yeah, REmake 3 was good, but it should have been a $39.99 expansion for REmake 2.

For me, one of the bigger disappointments is probably DOOM Eternal. I really loved the 2016 game, but I just can't get into Eternal. I feel like I'm being punished every step of the way if I don't play exactly in the optimal way that the developers intended. They turned the thing into way too much of a puzzle and killed a lot of the fun for me. It's an expertly made game and super impressive, and I see why a lot of people love it, but they really killed that non-stop forward momentum feel of the 2016 game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
New Horizons was a big disappointment, I put it down after a week of playing.

Went back to the original on Gamecube for a bit to compare and it ended up being the most fun I've had in a long time with the Animal Crossing series.
My main complaint about NH, and it's the first AC I've played, is that you seem to spend tons of time getting money to buy stuff you can't interact with in any meaningful way. I think I remember reading that in the GC version, if you bought a console in the game, you could actually play console games on it.

That sounds so much better than spending tens of thousands of bells on a Switch where the only interactivity you get is that the screen turns on with a Switch logo. That's SO LAME.

If I spend hundreds of thousands of bells on a piano, I should be able to play the damned piano. If I buy a book or magazine, I should be able to read something in it. It doesn't have to be a book-length story, but something that gives it more value than a cute little object to take up space in my room.

There's no depth. It's like everything is for aesthetic purposes only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom