• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that link with other games

M3wThr33

Banned
I'm sure we've had this thread before, but the idea was renewed with Gazunta asking about possible achievements for Viva Pinata Party Animals which would have required a save from the previous games.

What games support cross-game linking and do you hate/like it?

And I DON'T MEAN multi-version games like Pokemon Red/Blue but more like Pokemon Red->Pokemon Stadium, 2 different titles. Or Jak-X reading save files from the previous games, or Burnout Revenge looking for Madden or Burnout 3 saves.

I think it's pretty nifty, but I'm not a freakish 100% collector person. I know some people hate the idea of owning extra games to fill some mythical gap in their soul, but somehow it feels cool to me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mantisnew.jpg

i see you like LOLI RAPE SIMS

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I kinda liked how Ratchet games linked with previous games (until Deadlocked) to get you discounted/free weapons.

B.K.

M3wThr33 said:
What games support cross-game linking and do you hate/like it?

.hack 1 --> .hack 2 --> .hack 3 --> .hack 4.

.hack G.U. Vol. 1 --> .hack G.U. Vol. 2 --> .hack G.U. Vol. 3.

Suikoden --> Suikoden II --> Suikoden III.

Xenosaga Episode I --> Xenosaga Episode II --> Xenosaga Episode III.

M3wThr33

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Mario 64 -> Mario Kart 64 / Royal Raceway (the famous castle)
Uhm. I kinda mean like through game saves, not just cross game references.

Or something like Outrun 2006 on the PS2/PSP. I own both. Yay.

Oh, I thought you meant linking characters and narratives. I was going to mention F-Zero X and Star Fox. But now I'll say Mario Golf 64 and Mario Golf GBC.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
There's plenty of DS games that function slightly differently with a related GBA cart inserted as well. I can't think of anything that made me terribly excited though.

Zynx

Golden Sun + Golden Sun: the Lost Age - really cool, your first game's characters carried over.
(Where's the damn final game of the trilogy, Nintendo/Camelot?)

Whimsical Phil said:
*sonic 3 & knuckles pic*
That's because it was actually one game they decided to split into two to sell separately...

If I remember correctly, Shenmue 2 let you bring over your Shenmue 1 save, along with your items, just to take everything off you within a couple of minutes of gameplay.

USD

Zynx said:
That's because it was actually one game they decided to split into two to sell separately...
But it also lets you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, and play the Chaos emerald minigame when you put in other Genesis games.

Also Oracle of Ages and Seasons. You can't play the "full" adventure without both titles. It gives you access to a ton of new items between both games. If you play Ages and Seasons on a GBA (rather on than a GBC) you also have a special store with exclusive items.

M3wThr33

Banned
It sounds overwhelmingly in here like people enjoy it, or at least not enough to bitch. Although, NeoGAF is never a good reference of the gaming community.

Other ones to mention I remembered:

MMBN5: DT DS has a bunch of different outfits, bgms and cards unlocked plugging in the old MMBN and Boktai games.

Kim Possible Kimmunicator unlocks extra outfits with older GBA games in the slots.

And let's not forget Duke Nukem 3D on the Saturn. ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Linkzg said:
Castlevania Dawn of Souls and Aria of Sorrow link up if you have them both in your DS.
But not with the double pack cart. :(

I loved having my Mario Golf GBA character in the GCN version. He was super powered compared to everyone else.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zynx said:
I think it's more like they had a deadline to finish Sonic 3, and they picked up the scraps of what they had left on the cutting room floor to make S&K. no problem..

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
M3wThr33 said:
It sounds overwhelmingly in here like people enjoy it, or at least not enough to bitch. Although, NeoGAF is never a good reference of the gaming community.

It's interesting use of the technology. Not always brilliant use, but it's always kinda interesting to see what can be done.

Joe Molotov

a Master Ninja said:
I always found that part particularly impressive.

I liked the fact that it didn't take your rings away when you went to the bonus stages, making it super easy to get Super Knuckles (like it wasn't easy enough already).

Grayman

USD said:
But it also lets you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, and play the Chaos emerald minigame when you put in other Genesis games.
!!! i put in sonic 1 and got a screen with a big red x and sonic characters shaking their fingers at me :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The original Wizardry games let you import your character saves into each new title... not sure when/if that stopped.

The Hero's Quest / Quest for Glory games let you move your character from game to game, although I'm not sure when/if that stopped.

Alternate Reality let you do so as well, although they never got that many of the games out.

Gazunta

Oh yeah, that reminds me, you could import Bard's Tale characters into Wasteland. And of course Bard's Tale characters into other Bard's Tale games. Little Gazunta the barbarian lasted for years :/

Zeppu

You get some microgame in the toyroom in Warioware: Touched! if you have Warioware: Twisted inserted at the same time in slot 2.

0OoO0

Feel the Magic unlocks bonus costumes when you insert some sonic game on the gba slot of the Nintendo DS

I think in one of the Splinter Cells, Lambert mentions that Team Rainbow from Rainbow 6 is ready to move in on your location or something like that.

in Space Quest 4, in the Galaxy Galleria, you walk into a software store and find copies of games like Kings Quest 37 and Police Quest 5 million in the bargain bin.

fernoca

Pokémon: Diamond (or Pearl) Version (NDS) > Pokémon Battle Revolution (Wii)
[trading, wireless controller with 2 screens/1 touchscreen]

MattG-PTB

Sonic Mega Collection unlocked some of the hidden games early if you had other Sega GCN saves on your memory card.

Mega Man X8 featured a special battle with an 8-bit Cut Man if there was a Command Mission save on the memory card, too.

Top Bottom