• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Opinion Games that make you feel like a gamer again?

Banjo64

Dec 8, 2020
I don’t really know what you mean OP but over the past year or so Ori and the Blind Forest, Streets of Rage 4 and A Plague Tale Innocence have all been out of field surprises for me that made me appreciate gameplay and story telling.

Reactions: ProgenitorCastle

Cryio

May 18, 2021
By "feel like a gamer again", I understand games that feel fun.

I've recently been playing Ratchet Clank 2002, Sly Cooper, Resident Evil 4. And yeah, all 4 qualify.

• Strength
Reactions: ProgenitorCastle

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
video games gore GIF

DUKE NUKEM 3D

Swoopsail

Apr 18, 2021
I spend unreasonable amounts of time on Mechwarrior. Get in your city-razing mech, destroy other mechs, upgrade your shit, and enjoy buildings collapsing with explosions.

Biggest difference I find with 1990 to 2010 gaming compared to now is games seem stuffy, bloated, and don't get right to the point. It's all about huge open worlds with amazing graphics and nothing substantial in them. Valhalla felt like a soulless void to me, watching my friends play. How could anyone make vikings so gdam dull, but they did it.

Jaybe

Jul 14, 2018
Hades for me. I love the gameplay, loop, and progression. Additionally the humour and writing are entertaining.

Reactions: EDMIX

Tschumi

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2020
Most recently persona 3 on my psp and cyberpunk 2077 on pc... These are the first on a while... Kena might do it

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018
South Florida aka Outer Haven
The Last Of Us 2.

I love the open map type game that lets you explore without filler and lets the world tell the story for a bit, like finding the shotgun in the underground bank and reading about the people in the vault.

I also love the puzzles like finding the combination to safes, fighting the rat king and using all the shit you find in the room to frantically kill em also gave lots of old school feels.

I'd say most games still remind me its a game tbh lol I haven't played much over the last decade or so that I'd say didn't make me feel like a gamer.

I'd also say God Of War 2018. Loved the all the puzzles and open map layout and all the mini bosses all over the map. I like that all the areas felt like they had a purpose and nothing was wasted.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

Sep 27, 2021
The Last Of Us 2.

I love the open map type game that lets you explore without filler and lets the world tell the story for a bit, like finding the shotgun in the underground bank and reading about the people in the vault.

I also love the puzzles like finding the combination to safes, fighting the rat king and using all the shit you find in the room to frantically kill em also gave lots of old school feels.

Good to hear that Naught Dog finally caught up with a game design from 1994.

I need to give this game a second chance. I gave up after 1 hour but that was before the 60FPS patch for PS5.