• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that make you feel like a gamer again?

trikster40

Saints Row 2 and 3. Any game that has a challenge for running over pedestrians is good in my book. Pure mindless fun

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Hey GAF, wondering if any particular games are so good that they make you feel like a gamer again. Some of mine are Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Megaman X4, The Wonderful 101, and more
What does "feel like a gamer" mean to you? Honestly curious to know how to respond.

Keihart

i've never felt like a gamer, sounds too cringe of a word.
As cringe as feeling like an Otaku after watching some anime.

Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

Last edited:
The last one is Returnal. It's playability is flawless.
It sounds cliche at this point but for me this is absolutely true. I can't remember the last time I grinded something and enjoyed it so much that I had to straight up force myself to stop. I probably spent at least 20 hours trying to get those stupid xenoglyphs - I'd get to the end of a run, say fuck you RNG, then say ok just one more run.... Except I would do like 3 more runs most of the time.

But seriously fuck you RNG, I still didn't get all of them in the end and sold the game. Maybe when it's a Plus game in a few years I'll dump another 20 hours for the last 2 trophies...

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
To me it means when one is passionate about games and the culture/history/development of them
I get that feeling more commonly when playing older titles honestly. Not for nostalgia, because some of them are for the first time, but because there is historical context now. I think I felt that way when playing LocoRoco and Katamari with my kids recently. Playing though Syberia and then reading about the development of it and it's reception. Or finally getting to play though dark souls 3 with my siblings, which is ongoing. Another memorable gamer moment was last year during my playthrough of Astro on PS5 while geeking out about all the PlayStation references.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Anything Nintendo... Also SEGA classic games like Yakuzas, Sony ASRT (only played that one), Doom too, due to its very game-y elements like coloured keys which makes me so nostalgic, I really missed when games didn't feel ashamed of being games :(

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Well...Ninja Gaiden 2...again

Finished the game on the X360 back when it came out (2008?) on warrior and mentor, tried master ninja and...it was fucking impossible, got stuck on the New York metro silver serpent (?) boss for weeks and i just dropped it.
Bought a PS3 and managed to finish it on warrior, mentor and MN (it was easier though compared to OG NG2).

...fast forward to a couple of months ago : Found a used copy of NG2 and popped it into my XSX, decided to delete my saves as to start fresh (no unlocked weapons, plus, i wanted to re-experience the tests of Valor).
Finished it again on warrior and mentor but this time i also wanted to finish it on MN...2 weeks later and after lots of salt and swearing (game's fucking unbalanced/a joke on MN) i managed to finish it (and also unlock the X360 profile picture after 13 years).
Did i have fun while playing on MN ? Well, not really, that feeling though of having sweaty palms during each friggin' encounter is really something else, not even FROM's games can reach that high in my honest opinion.Combat system is just too good, plus, on the XSX (and XONEX) it just looks so clean and nice, it feels and looks like a g'damn remaster, it's that good.

Also : i've been playing Metal Gear Rising (again) on my XSX lately, game's still amazing, the moment MG Ray's arm clashes with your sword and rules of nature starts playing gets me every single time.

I have to go with Sekiro.
sekiro-video-game.gif

r3EfZD3.gif

I consider Sekiro's combat pure bliss.

^^ this also ;)
Sekiro is IMHO FROM's best game to date (although to be honest, it's a tough call between this and Bloodborne)

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
Prey. The best immersive sim ever made. I'm so sick and tired of 3rd person interactive cutscene type of games where all you do is shoot bad guys and climb bird shit covered ledges. You know the type... 🤮

sogsxxyiawqwnmbw6xny.jpg
Definitely my favorite Arkane game. We need more 3D Metroidvania games.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Definitely my favorite Arkane game. We need more 3D Metroidvania games.

Funny that the genre is called Metroidvania when the original System Shock released the same year that Super Metroid and a few years before Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

System Shock is not only the original Metroidvania, it's also the first 3D Metroidvania.

Deerock71

I like games that don't feel like they were pushed through committees to get made. Games that feel like they were labors of love from the developers. I can cite a few EXCELLENT examples of what I'm talking about: Goldeneye, Rhythm Thief R, and one I most recently discovered (by Toybox of Deadly Preminition fame), Kowloon High School Chronicle.

Top Bottom