• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that make you feel like a gamer again?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t really know what you mean OP but over the past year or so Ori and the Blind Forest, Streets of Rage 4 and A Plague Tale Innocence have all been out of field surprises for me that made me appreciate gameplay and story telling.

Cryio

By "feel like a gamer again", I understand games that feel fun.

I've recently been playing Ratchet Clank 2002, Sly Cooper, Resident Evil 4. And yeah, all 4 qualify.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
video games gore GIF

DUKE NUKEM 3D

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I spend unreasonable amounts of time on Mechwarrior. Get in your city-razing mech, destroy other mechs, upgrade your shit, and enjoy buildings collapsing with explosions.

Biggest difference I find with 1990 to 2010 gaming compared to now is games seem stuffy, bloated, and don't get right to the point. It's all about huge open worlds with amazing graphics and nothing substantial in them. Valhalla felt like a soulless void to me, watching my friends play. How could anyone make vikings so gdam dull, but they did it.

Jaybe

Hades for me. I love the gameplay, loop, and progression. Additionally the humour and writing are entertaining.

Tschumi

Most recently persona 3 on my psp and cyberpunk 2077 on pc... These are the first on a while... Kena might do it

EDMIX

The Last Of Us 2.

I love the open map type game that lets you explore without filler and lets the world tell the story for a bit, like finding the shotgun in the underground bank and reading about the people in the vault.

I also love the puzzles like finding the combination to safes, fighting the rat king and using all the shit you find in the room to frantically kill em also gave lots of old school feels.

I'd say most games still remind me its a game tbh lol I haven't played much over the last decade or so that I'd say didn't make me feel like a gamer.

I'd also say God Of War 2018. Loved the all the puzzles and open map layout and all the mini bosses all over the map. I like that all the areas felt like they had a purpose and nothing was wasted.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The Last Of Us 2.

I love the open map type game that lets you explore without filler and lets the world tell the story for a bit, like finding the shotgun in the underground bank and reading about the people in the vault.

I also love the puzzles like finding the combination to safes, fighting the rat king and using all the shit you find in the room to frantically kill em also gave lots of old school feels.

Good to hear that Naught Dog finally caught up with a game design from 1994.

I need to give this game a second chance. I gave up after 1 hour but that was before the 60FPS patch for PS5.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night! The base game definitely felt like old school Japanese game design, and the OST slaps too! It definitely made me feel like a gamer again! Yesterday I beat Boss Revenge mode as Bathin, one of the fightable bosses...you get to play as him and some other bosses too against some other in game bosses! Figuring out each bosses' strategy as Bathin, with his moveset...figuring out when to move and when to attack, when to recover MP and when to use it...definitely made me feel like a gamer again!

brian0057

Banned
Almost anything prior to 2010 makes me love videogames all over again.
Almost anything post 2010 makes me wish for a new videogame crash.

But if I have to be specific, here's a list:
  • Hollow Knight.
  • Breath of the Wild.
  • Alien: Isolation.
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3.
  • Resident Evil 1, 2 and 4.
  • XCOM: Enemy Within.
  • Fallout 3.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2005.
  • Half-Life 2.
  • Age of Empires 2.
  • The Metro Trilogy.
  • Almost anything by Looking Glass, Ion Storm Austin, and Eidos.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Currently playing through OOT on an actual N64 and it's just so much fun.

So yea, OOT definitely reminds me of why I love games.

Dragon Quest 11 too, recently started chipping away at it again and it's just such a colorful and fun game to play. Super chill too. It feels like something on the SNES with modern graphics.

I mention alot that I mainly retro game so I kind of always have that feeling of why I still play games but yea, OOT is just really fun right now and is bringing back so many memories and feelings while I play it.

Chivalry 2, just laughed the whole time is was playing….dropped it after an hour and never looked back, but man was that a fun hour

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Based as fuck OP, bumping his thread by answering to a question he made months ago.

Already posted God Hand, so this time around I'll go with this one.

METAL-GEAR-RISING-REVENGEANCE-Free-Download-Repacklab-1.jpg

One my games of the forever. I replay it almost yearly and it's just soooo fun. The story is OK and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay at all, set piece after set piece and boss fight after boss fight, this game feels like a rollercoaster that you never want to end.

And not only is the gameplay fun, but the soundtrack... Holy boy, it can't get any better than this one.

Some more recent mentions, DMC5 is great. Capcom really pulls it out again, not just with gameplay but fun callbacks and unlockables. Same goes for RE2 and 3 remakes, very well done.

What I really want to bring up though is Sunset Overdrive. A very American Jet Set Radio. Interesting, colorful, punk rock and fun as fuck. Check it out.

Banned
What I really want to bring up though is Sunset Overdrive. A very American Jet Set Radio. Interesting, colorful, punk rock and fun as fuck. Check it out.

Sunset Overdrive is maybe the most underrated game Insomniac ever made. and I think it comes down to the fact that it wasn't a PlayStation exclusive. People simply never cared for their Multiplat/non PlayStation games for some reason.

also speaking of JSR... I am so pumped for Bombrush Cyberfunk!

I'm like addicted to Azure Striker Gunvolt! I finally beat it after forgetting about it for many years, yet I'm already replaying it because I beat it on Steam, now I started a fresh save on the 3DS original...this game really reminds me why I'm a gamer, it's so fun, original, weird, the music slaps, the level design is intuitive, and those bosses! The boss fights have that Japanese quirkiness to them and it's wonderful...I'm glad I resumed it and beat it after all, it's an action platformer masterpiece for sure

EDMIX

Sunset Overdrive is maybe the most underrated game Insomniac ever made. and I think it comes down to the fact that it wasn't a PlayStation exclusive. People simply never cared for their Multiplat/non PlayStation games for some reason.

also speaking of JSR... I am so pumped for Bombrush Cyberfunk!

Maybe, maybe not

I think even if it was out on PS, maybe it wouldn't do that hot, after all not all PS exclusives do gangbusters. So I don't know if I can blame the XB install base on this one, maybe regardless of where it was, it wasn't going to be a huge seller like that FUSE game. I do hope a remaster comes out or a sequel or something.

I'd actually rather they give Ratchet a break, focus on Spiderman and that other team work on Sunset Overdrive series or something.

RavageX

I liked gaming better when people didn't just sit around saying shit is "cringe". Anyhow, to me "feeling" like a gamer makes me think of how I felt the first time I played a game. That since of amazement...a new fresh experience. Something so enjoyable that time flies by. The last time I felt like THAT was probably with VR. Recent games....I enjoyed Xenoblade 2. It didn't make me feel like "that" though.

HF2014

Returnal. Since Bloodborne i was feeling weak and this game push me back at git gud again. If people can stop complaining that its a rogue like, christ in Bloodborne there is Chalice dungeons and its the same freakin thing, except better? 😬

Crayon

That is a weird question, but I get a very clear picture of when I "feel like a gamer again". It's when I'm playing more complicated sim/trading/turn based rpg games. I don't know why that is the first thing that came up. Maybe because I can only play those when I have a bunch of time to waste.

EDMIX

That is a weird question, but I get a very clear picture of when I "feel like a gamer again". It's when I'm playing more complicated sim/trading/turn based rpg games. I don't know why that is the first thing that came up. Maybe because I can only play those when I have a bunch of time to waste.

Maybe its of those menus reminding you its a game or something. I always feel having a hud in CRPGs or any type of RPG always is this reminder that you are in a game sometimes lol

Crayon

Maybe its of those menus reminding you its a game or something. I always feel having a hud in CRPGs or any type of RPG always is this reminder that you are in a game sometimes lol

You might be on to something. There might be something about "overseeing" something going on and managing it? Playing with a mouse def helps. That would be another pattern, those are the only games i'd rather play with a mouse.

Top Bottom