• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that make you ...'physical' with the controller

I couldn't think of a better way to title this but i think you'll know what i'm talking about - that time you handed the controller to a parent or a friends little brother or sister and watched them awkwardly steer the controller side to side trying to make the car turn faster, or jerking the pad upwards to make the character jump higher. As someone who lived for games as a kid, watching the uninitiated always made me laugh, the closest personal experience i had of this was Lotus Turbo Challenge 3 on the Amiga - despite our better knowledge we would all grip the accelerate button so hard (of course, to go faster) we'd end up with sore thumbs ...why this game in particular? I haven't a clue, Road Rash for example didn't cause such issues.

Cue Rocket League.....

30 years later, i've been playing this game since launch and i can't get over how ...physical i am whilst playing it. Those kids and parents i mocked in my youth have nothing on this, my hands clench and spasm and i strike the ball, often hitting the PS button or quick chat keys unintentionally (the amount of times i've said 'sorry' for no reason or had to navigate back from the PS4 UI to the game during a clinch moment, you wouldn't believe). This is 5 years in, i found myself today making these same crazy movements - i can hear my poor DS4 creaking under the stress and grip.

So GAF, any other games that fulfill this unique criteria? (or is it just me?)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Physical? Only one saga comes to mind...

5ba.gif

tillbot8

Banned
Any racing game, me stupidly expecting the brake to work better if I put my thumb through the O button on the controller :p

ZoukGalaxy

Sorry OP, I have stopped a long time ago to have physical relation with my controller, it was a mutual decision.

Last edited:

lem0n

Any racing game, me stupidly expecting the brake to work better if I put my thumb through the O button on the controller :p
This was actually a thing, early Gran Turismos you needed to /press/ the shit out of the face buttons to achieve full throttle or full brakes. They were pressure sensitive

Vick

Not sure i'm getting what OP is saying, but the most "physical" i've probably ever been with a controller happened this gen with Spider-Man combat. Not sure what the fuck were they thinking with it, it may "look" like the free flow of the Arkham Series but to properly perform it you literally have to break the controller.
I'm not complaining of course, but more than once the frenetic look of my hands combined with all those mad plastic sounds reminded me of actors pretending playing videogames in all those TV shows and movies. Hilarious.

If you mean physically move my body when playing, that honestly happens every time i have to dodge something in tense games.. side effects of immersive home theaters.

Tschumi

I think i apply a lot of torque to the ol dualshock 4 when i play fallen order.. the ice slope slides in particular really have me gritting my teeth

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeeves

Well one day I decided to learn how to speedrun Super Mario Bros. I played hard for at least 12 hours that day, just white-knuckling the controller and reaching for the reset button every few seconds/minutes. I got pretty decent at it, but at the cost of losing feeling in the tip of my left thumb for about a month. The edges of that D-pad are kinda sharp!

I also move the controller a bit if I'm making a tricky recovery in Smash Bros. Also in that game, my body temperature rises like crazy when I'm playing it. If I'm wearing layers they're coming off. Afterwards I can comfortably walk around in snowy weather in a t-shirt for about ten minutes. This is how I feel after playing Smash for a few hours:
giphy.gif

Most I do is if stuff gets hard in a game I sit up and lean forward in my chair. Shit got real mode lol
This too. When my elbows meet my knees it's no longer just a game.

I'm really strong and have gorilla hands. I tend to grip controllers pretty hard. When things get hectic playing games like Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash I have a tendency to crack PCBs in controllers as I grip them harder.

The Dreamcast controller had the flimsiest PCB of any controller and it lacked bracing. If you press the start button too hard it cracked the board pretty easily and I killed a few that way.

The DualShock 3 was the worst controller I ever owned considering it's OEM. I tore one in half right after getting my PS3 and replaced it with a better/bigger aftermarket pad without the spongy face buttons and shitty triggers.

The Xbone controllers hold up the best of anything I've used having a sub-frame. Unfortunately they also have the flimsiest power port so I've damaged a couple while they were plugged in. I have over 3000 hours on an Elite S1 and 1500 hours on an Elite S2 currently. Something about the price seems to keep me aware of how I'm using them.

This was actually a thing, early Gran Turismos you needed to /press/ the shit out of the face buttons to achieve full throttle or full brakes. They were pressure sensitive
GT5 and GT6 were early GT? Now I feel old.

buenoblue

Lol. On rocket league when there's a close or tough shot my leg spams out like I'm kicking the ball. I did play football(uk) for 20 years so it's a natural reaction for me. I'm diamond 3 at the min so it's pretty intense. I nearly kicked my wife in the face the other day while saving a shot. She was like wtf.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve recently found myself motioning with the controller a fair bit with shooters, I think I first noticed it on TLOU2. That thing of carefully lining up a shot, then jabbing the pad forward slightly as I pull the trigger, lol.

I acknowledged that it’s a little odd, but I can’t say I’m concerned by the behaviour.

*shrugs*

Top Bottom