• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that make you puke.

Irnbru

Alright gaf, need some help finding a common theme in games that make me feel nauseous and just outright sick. I just got done playing about an hour of The Order ( har har, it's just the game that's so bad that's making you sick! ) and feel abosolutely revolted. The Last of Us has this same effect on me and I only made it a few hours in, and in separate play sessions, before I just put it down for good. The first game the ever do this to me was Half Life 2, but I did truck through that game nearly puking at times. Good game. So it's not a third person shooter thing. Uncharted, Bloodborne, Halo, Destiny, Killzone 2, Civ, WoW I can play for hours with no effect. But put Modern Warfare 4 in front of me and I will need to find myself one of the airplane bags.

Any thoughts on what causes? FOV? Frame rates? If you have this? Anything you do to prevent it? Or an I just boned and unable to play certain games at random?

Projectile Vomit if Old.

hao chi

I felt like I would have gotten sick if I played much more of the Doom demo on XBL. I think it's something about the combination of movement speed, lack of walking bobble, and maybe the textures that made me feel that way.

Kinda sucks because I was able to play Doom as a kid with no ill effects, but apparently not now.

Though I don't think you can really pinpoint your own specific problem based on other people's responses. Everybody will be different.

Valve games, prior to me finding about the wonders of a FOV slider, would quickly make me want to vomit.

Same with watching Elder Scrolls games as well...

Currently, I can't play a lot of Wolfenstein: TNO without feeling sick...which is quite a bummer.

MattyG

Banned
Final Fantasy Type-0. I wanted to throw up almost immediately.

As for your problem, OP, it's hard to say. At first, I thought it might just be the way the camera moved. Sometimes when you swing the camera you get the sensation of movement and it induces motion sickness. But while The Order and TLOU have similar camera movement, CoD4 doesn't. It may be an FOV thing, but I know little to nothing about that.

Irnbru

Valve games, prior to me finding about the wonders of a FOV slider, would quickly make me want to vomit.

Same with watching Elder Scrolls games as well...

Currently, I can't play a lot of Wolfenstein: TNO without feeling sick...which is quite a bummer.

Interestingly, I can play all the other valve games without a problem and got though Wolfenstein no issue. Oblivion was a puke fest, but Skyrim was not. It's hard to pinpoint, but maybe I should try to mess around with the FOV in half life 2.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
Interestingly, I can play all the other valve games without a problem and got though Wolfenstein no issue. Oblivion was a puke fest, but Skyrim was not. It's hard to pinpoint, but maybe I should try to mess around with the FOV in half life 2.

Yeah I should probably do the same

the only games I've ever felt sick playing were half life 2 and borderlands 1

red720

Dactyl Nightmare on an old VR system is the only game that has made me feel sick. That said, I don't like playing any 1st person games when extremely hung over.

DJ_Lae

Fable 2. The fake blur when you swing the camera made me sick and I couldn't play it.

I definitely noticed that when I went back to play it last year - thought there was something wrong with my TV until I remembered it was how the game was supposed to look.

cameron

Not puking, but Mirror's Edge gave me that distinct sinking feeling in my stomach whenever I fell off a building.

No game has made me puke, but Dead Island got very close. I think because of how much the camera swung around when running; although, a very narrow FOV and horrible framerate probably deserve some thanks, too

Mephala

I don't get sick but camera bobbing to movement will slowly give me a headache. This is also true for scripted scenes where the camera wobbles a lot, Uncharted and TR2013 for example has moments with this though they are thankfully pretty short.

There was a game I played that I had to turn the "bobbing" camera while moving off, can't remember what it was but it improved my enjoyment tremendously and is now something I hunt for in the game's options.

Atomski

Never ever got sick from playing a game.

Then again I've never been car sick or sea sick either.

I'm really curious if VR will be the thing that breaks me..

Edit: some games make me feel really tired though.

Moodz

For me it has always been EA Skate, which sucks since it is one of my favorites series ever. Some days, if I play more than 30min I feel like puking for 3 hours.
Wandering aimlessly in any GTA makes me nauseous too...

I don't know what is the exact cause.

Old FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, etc.. The 3D effect gives me a headache and makes me queasy.

Also, watching people play Skyrim. I've put at least 500 hours into my Skyrim playthroughs but I can't watch someone play for longer than 10 mins and I start getting sick.

frontovik

Banned
Well, the only time I ever felt sick while playing a game was running a specific instance in World of WarCraft (it was either Maraudon or Razorfen Downs). The group was progressing at an incredibly slow pace, and I was feeling unwell at the time.

It got to the point that I was feeling so nauseous that I decided to leave the group. I was courteous enough to let them know first. I never went back to the instances since then.

Sojgat

Rage.

I think it's something about id Tech 5 because I kind of get a headache from Wolfenstein: The New Order as well. Just not as bad.

Metro remastered did it for me. Even taking Dramamine before sessions I couldn't do it.

KZ shadow fall had the same affect but I managed to finish that game with Dramamine.

Interesting enough: I could play those games just fine via remote play without getting sick at all.

I don't know what's wrong with me lol.

Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Graphics look like shit. I wonder how they misused one of the most capable engines out there. Art direction of the whole game was laughable.Place DA1 and DA3 together and noone would guess these are in the same universe.
It was so poorly-written, I wasn't even sure that was made by Bioware (they fell from Olympus for sure).
Core game mechanics were heavily inspired by MMOs (WHAT!?). And combat was shit. They wanted to do more action-y combat, so its tactic mode was nowhere near in depth as in first game. And it was so shitty at being more action-orientated I was laughing my ass off
these wooden epileptic animations.

hatchx

Banned
I've never puked from a game, but I found GTA3 and Vice City, as well as Banjo tooie, for some reason those games gave me really bad headaches. I could never play them. I don't know why, maybe the skippy framerates?

EBE

Duke Nukem 3D is the absolute worst. those textures and the scaling or warping or whatever its called when you look up/down... yuck

Final Fantasy Type Zero HD is the only one to actually make me kind of sick. The motion blur while moving the camera makes me feel like dizzy in a way no other does. It's so unpleasant that I can't even play the game anymore. I can usually deal with semi choppy camera panning, but that extra blur makes me feel like I am on the teacups at Disneyland.

I guess Dactyl Nightmare on the old VR stations would make a good torture device to induce nausea. I remember being excited to play but that soon went away when I was in the game. Ended up stopping before my time was even up because it felt like a claustophobic hell of blurry polygons. Cybersickness is a scary thing indeed.

Roussow

Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Graphics look like shit. I wonder how they misused one of the most capable engines out there. Art direction of the whole game was laughable.Place DA1 and DA3 together and noone would guess these are in the same universe.
It was so poorly-written, I wasn't even sure that was made by Bioware (they fell from Olympus for sure).
Core game mechanics were heavily inspired by MMOs (WHAT!?). And combat was shit. They wanted to do more action-y combat, so its tactic mode was nowhere near in depth as in first game. And it was so shitty at being more action-orientated I was laughing my ass off
these wooden epileptic animations.

Wait... how did this make you physically sick?

NewGame

Banned
Extreme-G.jpg

I remember unlocking fish eye mode.

The worst video game cheat ever.

Yeah, I don't feel sick almost with any game.

But the games that does make me feel sick are the old shooters like the first Doom and stuff. And I never understood why. Too bad, those were the only shooters I actually enjoyed =P

halo 4 used to give me headaches, especially on these maps

complex.png

468px-Map_ragnarok_halo_4.jpeg

the brightness felt ridiculously overcontrasted and it would hurt my eyes after a short play session.

i switched TVs a year later though and the problem was lessened. my new one has much better color balance.

Zero²

Almost all FPS game I've played always left me with an incredibly painful headache after some time :(
And Skyrim.

radeonxt

Battlefield 4 made me feel sick. That blur and movement effects where disgusting :S

BF 3 a bit less, I don't know if it is BF or all frostbite games :S

The two biggest offenders:

Original Shadow of the Colossus: huge motion blur with very low framerates.

Jazzpunk - Abysmal FOV, camera bobbing, motion blur AND unresponsive ice skating controls. I could finish SotC, but Jazzpunk was too much.

edit: oh yeah, from the recent ones Alien Isolation is also pretty unbearable on default settings. Thank god it has a FOV slider.

DocSeuss

Sounds like FOV to me, especially when you mentioned Half-Life 2. Sometimes it's a combination of motion blur and FOV. In Half-Life 2, try maxing the FOV in the slider in the menu.

pizzacat

Banned
I've never puked from a game, but I found GTA3 and Vice City, as well as Banjo tooie, for some reason those games gave me really bad headaches. I could never play them. I don't know why, maybe the skippy framerates?
For some reasons if I played the old GTAs for too long I would just get the worst headaches, and I'm not even a headache person anyway

Top Bottom