• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Games that never got released that you are still pissed about

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
It's always gonna be Scalebound for me. I loved the idea and concept. The gameplay we got was heavily scripted, but still I could see a lot of potential there. There was a lot of hype around the game at the time, enough to convince me to buy an Xbone when I previously was decided on not picking one up at all. I was also hoping it signified that MS was going to try to get serious about JP developers again, maybe get us a new Otogi or something of that nature. yeeeep.

Mar 23, 2014
For me, the Hookman version of Resident Evil 4.

I still think it was a mistake to cancel this version but I know everyone would disagree because everyone loves the RE4 we got for some reason.

Reactions: Doczu

Doczu

Aug 17, 2012
Poland
For me, the Hookman version of Resident Evil 4.

I still think it was a mistake to cancel this version but I know everyone would disagree because everyone loves the RE4 we got for some reason.
I love RE for the game it is - the first "modern" (by 2005 standards) TPS eith fantastic gunplay. As for a RE game - 5 was better. At least in the story department. Fight me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hookman was sadly doomed because it was too much a horror game. Capcom wanted different...

Mar 23, 2014
I forgot to mention Prey II, I wanted my cyberpunk style fix and was denied it... Im not as mad about it though since Cyberpunk 2077 is coming, hopefully it's good.

I love RE for the game it is - the first "modern" (by 2005 standards) TPS eith fantastic gunplay. As for a RE game - 5 was better. At least in the story department. Fight me 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not gonna try, 5 was good closure to the Umbrella founders arc and co-op made the game bearable, for me at least.

HE1NZ

Apr 9, 2019
I used to be pissed about Doom 4 being dropped. They took so much time between Doom 3 and Doom 2016 they could have finished Doom 4 and still finish a reboot by 2016. Even if wouldn't be that good, I just wanted to see a direct sequel to Doom 3's story and to see hell of Earth.

Azelover

Dec 3, 2004
Sonic X-treme.

I literaly saved money to get it, and it never came. I ended up buying Panzer Dragoon Zwei instead. It was an ok deal..

Kumomeme

Mar 20, 2017
Malaysia
well..not really piss off..just dissapointed...

Scalebound come to mind....one of reason I considering to buy Xbox one not to mention the game being teased since beginning
...and original versus 13

also, Deep Down..the game obviously die..it just no proper confirmation from capcom

petran79

Sep 17, 2012
Prior to max Payne, gta3d and Shenmue, there would have been Urban Decay
Urban Decay is a cancelled PC game that was being developed by Psygnosis, originally meant to be released around 1995. It was meant to use the same characteristic ellipsoid 3D graphics as its spiritual predecessor Ecstatica (by the same developers).

The gameplay would have been 3rd-person gun-action-based, set in a modern urban setting (in contrast to the medieval-fantasy Ecstatica). The plot would revolve around a man being chased by the police and miscellaneous criminals, violently defending himself. Some further reports imply that the gameplay/plot was quite ahead of its time, being similar to Max Payne years before the latter was released.

Development was troubled, as advancing technology made the ellipsoid 3D obsolete, and the designers weren't able to keep using their original ideas. It has thus been cancelled.

No beta version of the game is available to play, or video gameplay to see. A few screenshots remain to give an idea of what could have been.

The world was supposed to be larger and more open than in Ecstatica and the story unlinear. The city was going to be inhabited not only by enemies but also neutral NPCs and the player would have been free to decide how to interact with many of them, facing consequences for his choices. Killing civilians would increase the law enforcement's attempts to capture the protagonist and also make SWAT teams hunt the player.

Multiplayer was also a planned feature. Players were supposed to be able to fight each other as well as take on the AI-controlled gangsters cooperatively.

Different reasons for the cancellation were reported. First the project was shelved in favor of Ecstatica II. When work on the project continued, several employees left Andrew Spencer Studios. Additionally, despite having developed many impressive features, the team had trouble making serious progress with the project as a whole. Ultimately the relationship to Psygnosis supposedly suffered seriously at some point which may have resulted in the company abandoning support for the project which ultimately lead to Andrew Spencer Studios' shutdown.

Last edited:

Allandor

Feb 8, 2018
Germany
Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury

I know, actually it was the bankruptcy of interplay, but boy .. I miss those good old point & Click adventures.

DavidGzz

Jan 7, 2018
I wish that I would have never heard of the Dark Souls Diablo game that was canceled. My favorite two series in one? Project Fenris, I think. I cri

SCB3

Nov 24, 2014
Probably Star Wars 1313 and Pirates of the Caribbean Armada, that got cancelled the week it was due out!

Last edited: