• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that never got released that you are still pissed about

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Six Days to Fallujah is heart breaking to me. Always showed me just how immature the games industry still is.

Shenmue 3...oh wait!

the getaway sequel for me. The originals weren’t great, but modelled london quite well and had great atmosphere. We need a game set in london. I guess watchdogs will do.

jakinov

I got to say, I'm still salty as fuck that Eight Days never got to see the time of day. Damn Sony, what could have been :(

Two weeks after the cancellation of Eight Days, President of Sony Computer Entertainment, Shuhei Yoshida, stated that the lack of an online mode in Eight Days was "part of the consideration" to cancel the game.[10] He also stated that the cancellation of Eight Days was not because it was failing in production, but because Sony is increasingly moving towards online-supported games, and Eight Days did not fit that overall strategy.

full20060928200703.jpg

The REAL Sam & Max sequel we were promised.

GHG

Gold Member

Fucking hell there were some dark times last gen.

I'll never forget how every single game had some shitty worthless multiplayer component shoehorned into it.

Thank god we are past that phase.

Last edited:

jakinov

Fucking hell there were some dark times last gen.

I'll never forget how every single game had some shitty worthless multiplayer component shoehorned into it.

Thank god we are past that phase.
Yup, Dead Space, Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham, God of War, and Mass Effect,

Yup, Dead Space, Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham, God of War, and Mass Effect,

I can't parse what's being said here... on one hand there was co-op and MTX in Dead Space 3, can't recall if actual competitive... Ass Creed added competitive multiplayer at some point in the franchise but didn't begin with it, I'm beyond unsure if Tomb Raider has multiplayer in Shadow but I know the reboot didn't. Did the Batman games add multiplayer? God of War definitely didn't. Mass Effect 3 totally had multiplayer, a sort of co-op horde mode.

Garnox

Mass Effect 4

Came here to post this. A true sequel to ME3. Huts my soul that I won’t get to explore the ME universe again, as I fear BioWare is doneski.

Andromeda wasn’t the worst, it just wasn’t what fans were clamoring for. Really a missed opportunity all around.

zcaa0g

Banned
'The 10th Planet' by Bethesda 'Amen: The Awakening' by Cavedog and 'Into the Shadows' by whoever in the hell that was back in the mid to late 90s.

Geki-D

Banned
I wish Capcom would have went with Resident Evil: Dash in between RE1 & 2. If anything it was meant to confirm that Wesker was dead which would have saved the franchise's overarching plot from falling into aime-level nonsense later down the line.
RE%20Dash.jpg

Dane

I wish Capcom would have went with Resident Evil: Dash in between RE1 & 2. If anything it was meant to confirm that Wesker was dead which would have saved the franchise's overarching plot from falling into aime-level nonsense later down the line.
RE%20Dash.jpg

RE storyline was going quite messed up.

RE 1.5 at one point had a boss monster called salem, whose tail have a face of a man inside, according to translation it was named Nicholas or Wesker, but we don't know details about of him. It was later replaced by Birkin G stages. And one of the reasons why the game had to be redone was because the new writer, Noboru Sugimura, considered it too be too conclusive.

jakinov

I can't parse what's being said here... on one hand there was co-op and MTX in Dead Space 3, can't recall if actual competitive... Ass Creed added competitive multiplayer at some point in the franchise but didn't begin with it, I'm beyond unsure if Tomb Raider has multiplayer in Shadow but I know the reboot didn't. Did the Batman games add multiplayer? God of War definitely didn't. Mass Effect 3 totally had multiplayer, a sort of co-op horde mode.
I’m replying to someone talking about a time when single player games got multiplayer shoe horned in. Dead Space 2 had a competitive multiplayer mode. Assassins Creed not starting that way is the point. Tomb Raider reboot did have multiplayer. So did Arkham Origins. God of War definitely did have multiplayer.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I am still waiting on Skies of Arcadia HD remaster for modern platforms...

WHENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Last edited by a moderator:
The Order: 1886

Okay, earlier in the thread I did Duke Nukem Forever which I expected to be interpreted multiple ways... 1. I'm not acknowledging the release exists because it sucks, 2. There were multiple Duke Nukem Forever versions that looked better and never saw the light of day, 3. I'm stupid

Your post, though, I don't get. Was there some early version advertised different to what we got?

ethomaz

Banned
Okay, earlier in the thread I did Duke Nukem Forever which I expected to be interpreted multiple ways... 1. I'm not acknowledging the release exists because it sucks, 2. There were multiple Duke Nukem Forever versions that looked better and never saw the light of day, 3. I'm stupid

Your post, though, I don't get. Was there some early version advertised different to what we got?
Yes it was advertised a game... they released the Alpha of chapter 1.

I'm still waiting the game... the alpha was too small, without variety, no bosses and with a serie of issues.

I hope they can learn with the alpha's feedback to make the game better.

Last edited:
Oh shit! I remember seeing footage of the game up and running and everything. It looked fantastic too, but it got canned because of some legal/licensing issues with Nintendo or some shit. Motherfucker....

Goldeneye 007 HD looked amazing! Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't reach a deal and it was canned.

Vandole

The original Wii version of The Grinder. Looked like a really cool Mexican-horror s
FPS. Due to budget issues it was cut down to a more less impressive overhead shooter type thing.

Maru Island

Square's ambitious RPG which was initially planned for the Super NES CD-ROM... but would eventually be split into two smaller games : Seiken Densetsu II (Secret of Mana) and Chrono Trigger.

[...]upon getting word from Nintendo that they were developing a CD-ROM adapter for the Super Famicom, we decided to start a project in a different direction from Final Fantasy IV, which at the time was in the middle of development and was touted as a next-generation RPG fitting the large storage capacity the new cartridges had. The development codename for the new project was Maru Island, and we were making it as a collaboration work with Akira Toriyama-sensei after we established contact through Shueisha. I frequently ran back to the office just to receive and look at the screen mock-ups that Toriyama-sensei did in the initial stages of the project.

Despite that, the CD-ROM adapter was never completed. Once everyone learned that the CD-ROM adapter was never going to see a release, they decided to abandon everything that had been planned for development since the very start, including Toriyama-sensei's contributions, and decided to revise the project in order to make it release into a ROM cassette. We said that we would wait for the CD-ROM to make a collaboration project with Toriyama-sensei, but when it was revised, it actually became an entirely different project with an entirely different direction. That was what later on was completed into the game we know as Chrono Trigger.

Thanks to the high speed of the ROM, it was possible to seamlessly make the action visible in the field without the need to make a transition into a battle screen. But in the end, the new RPG I wanted to start making — one that didn't have a command-style battle system (Motion Battle System) and tested the reflexes of the players — wasn't a title that existed at the moment.

Upon seeing that my goal was to make an action RPG, and learning that an ARPG was the next game we were going to make, I decided to make it into a sequel for Seiken Densetsu, so we reestructured everything to use the world setting we had already from the previous game, and Seiken Densetsu 2 was finally completed.

Source : Chrono Compendium

Great documentary about it :

Mhmmm 2077

Prey 2
Silent Hills
FEZ 2
Star Wars 1313
Scalebound
Whore of the Orient
Metroid Dread
Dirty Harry
Streets of Rage 3D
Human Element
Deep Down
Hellraid

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Star Wars 1313. Eight Days would probably be second. Nothing else really comes to mind.

Top Bottom