• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that never got released that you are still pissed about

Xenon

l-151641.jpg

This was a deeply flawed game with issues surrounding every aspect. That was a mercy killing.

Pejo

It's always gonna be Scalebound for me. I loved the idea and concept. The gameplay we got was heavily scripted, but still I could see a lot of potential there. There was a lot of hype around the game at the time, enough to convince me to buy an Xbone when I previously was decided on not picking one up at all. I was also hoping it signified that MS was going to try to get serious about JP developers again, maybe get us a new Otogi or something of that nature. yeeeep.

Doczu

For me, the Hookman version of Resident Evil 4.

I still think it was a mistake to cancel this version but I know everyone would disagree because everyone loves the RE4 we got for some reason.

I love RE for the game it is - the first "modern" (by 2005 standards) TPS eith fantastic gunplay. As for a RE game - 5 was better. At least in the story department. Fight me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hookman was sadly doomed because it was too much a horror game. Capcom wanted different...

I forgot to mention Prey II, I wanted my cyberpunk style fix and was denied it... Im not as mad about it though since Cyberpunk 2077 is coming, hopefully it's good.

I love RE for the game it is - the first "modern" (by 2005 standards) TPS eith fantastic gunplay. As for a RE game - 5 was better. At least in the story department. Fight me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not gonna try, 5 was good closure to the Umbrella founders arc and co-op made the game bearable, for me at least.

HE1NZ

Banned
I used to be pissed about Doom 4 being dropped. They took so much time between Doom 3 and Doom 2016 they could have finished Doom 4 and still finish a reboot by 2016. Even if wouldn't be that good, I just wanted to see a direct sequel to Doom 3's story and to see hell of Earth.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The only cancellation I can remember being upset about was Scalebound.

Other than that, I was pretty disappointed when these were canceled:

dims

zofNe3m.jpg

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sonic X-treme.

I literaly saved money to get it, and it never came. I ended up buying Panzer Dragoon Zwei instead. It was an ok deal..

Kumomeme

well..not really piss off..just dissapointed...

Scalebound come to mind....one of reason I considering to buy Xbox one not to mention the game being teased since beginning
...and original versus 13

also, Deep Down..the game obviously die..it just no proper confirmation from capcom

petran79

Banned
Prior to max Payne, gta3d and Shenmue, there would have been Urban Decay
Urban Decay is a cancelled PC game that was being developed by Psygnosis, originally meant to be released around 1995. It was meant to use the same characteristic ellipsoid 3D graphics as its spiritual predecessor Ecstatica (by the same developers).

The gameplay would have been 3rd-person gun-action-based, set in a modern urban setting (in contrast to the medieval-fantasy Ecstatica). The plot would revolve around a man being chased by the police and miscellaneous criminals, violently defending himself. Some further reports imply that the gameplay/plot was quite ahead of its time, being similar to Max Payne years before the latter was released.

Development was troubled, as advancing technology made the ellipsoid 3D obsolete, and the designers weren't able to keep using their original ideas. It has thus been cancelled.

No beta version of the game is available to play, or video gameplay to see. A few screenshots remain to give an idea of what could have been.

The world was supposed to be larger and more open than in Ecstatica and the story unlinear. The city was going to be inhabited not only by enemies but also neutral NPCs and the player would have been free to decide how to interact with many of them, facing consequences for his choices. Killing civilians would increase the law enforcement's attempts to capture the protagonist and also make SWAT teams hunt the player.

Multiplayer was also a planned feature. Players were supposed to be able to fight each other as well as take on the AI-controlled gangsters cooperatively.

Different reasons for the cancellation were reported. First the project was shelved in favor of Ecstatica II. When work on the project continued, several employees left Andrew Spencer Studios. Additionally, despite having developed many impressive features, the team had trouble making serious progress with the project as a whole. Ultimately the relationship to Psygnosis supposedly suffered seriously at some point which may have resulted in the company abandoning support for the project which ultimately lead to Andrew Spencer Studios' shutdown.

Last edited:

Allandor

Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury

I know, actually it was the bankruptcy of interplay, but boy .. I miss those good old point & Click adventures.

DavidGzz

I wish that I would have never heard of the Dark Souls Diablo game that was canceled. My favorite two series in one? Project Fenris, I think. I cri

SCB3

Probably Star Wars 1313 and Pirates of the Caribbean Armada, that got cancelled the week it was due out!

Last edited:
Terra Battle on Switch. Mistwalker announced a console port and I was hoping that they would manage to keep the unique gameplay while getting rid of the gacha model.
Instead, the game has been discontinued and the port cancelled. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5olid_5nake

Silent Hills definitely, that is such a shame that couldn't come to fruition. Especially because of Konami's short sighted stupidity.

Among others, Starcraft Ghost, Zone of the Enders 3 (it had such a cool fucking artwork), Metal Gear Rising 2 and Prey 2.

Stuart360

Havent read a single post in here, but i'll bet Scalebound is the game most mentioned by far. That amazing looking game that everyone adored, before it was cancelled.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Half-life for the Dreamcast. Yes there is an unoptimised bootleg floating around which I tried but still, considering it was reviewed in an Official DC magazine and included the then "Exclusive" Blue Shift, it was a real kick in the pants to find out it was shelved within weeks of release. I don't even know why to this day.

Dane

Half-life for the Dreamcast. Yes there is an unoptimised bootleg floating around which I tried but still, considering it was reviewed in an Official DC magazine and included the then "Exclusive" Blue Shift, it was a real kick in the pants to find out it was shelved within weeks of release. I don't even know why to this day.

It got delayed multiple times only to have the PS2 version announced with even better graphics (the best of all versions) and the DC being officially killed by Sega.

When it was meant to be released, June or July 01, the dreamcast was already months dead and it would end up being one of the very last big titles to be launched.

Three

You know, you're onto something there. MS and Nintendo are very, very happy with each other right now, and a lot of Xbox games/characters are on Nintendo systems. I think the time is right for Goldeneye on Xbox/Switch. People may scoff, but that shit is actually even now, still, a system seller. Goldeneye online MP? Hell, on Switch, out in the park? Good lord...
What would MS offer in this relationship? If Nintendo could recreate Goldeneye with a renewed bond license why wouldn't it just release a Switch version you can play in the park online? I don't think the relationship between MS and Nintendo has any relevance to the possibility of a new online MP remaster of Goldeneye happening. It was never the hurdle.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Don’t MS own the team that remade the game, hence... they kinda hold all the cards for that.

Sure you COULD just release the original, but would that be enough now?

SCB3

It got delayed multiple times only to have the PS2 version announced with even better graphics (the best of all versions) and the DC being officially killed by Sega.

When it was meant to be released, June or July 01, the dreamcast was already months dead and it would end up being one of the very last big titles to be launched.

Is this why HL2 ended up being on Xbox as well, I'm surprised its not been on console since tbh, even the Orange Box missed it

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Half-Life would have been a nice get for Dreamcast back in the day. Another gem in its library for its final hurrahs.

The updated models were quite cool too (Blueshift models, not the hideous PS2 stuff).

Same for a couple more games that were cancelled even though they were almost finished.

Last edited:

Dane

Is this why HL2 ended up being on Xbox as well, I'm surprised its not been on console since tbh, even the Orange Box missed it

HL2 is a different story, Valve returned to consoles with Counter Strike for Xbox which was developed alongside Ritual and Turtle Rock, and if you are wondering why two extra developers? Because its basically Condition Zero who had a troubled development who both had involvement, in fact, this Xbox port was released first because they delayed the PC version at the very last minute and removed the Single Player campaign from the main game due to mixed reviews.

Funny enough, HL2 was released a week before the Xbox 360 release, but it was actually announced alongside the PC version back at e3 2003, after that release, Valve would handle their console ports, except for Orange Box on PS3 which was handled by EA and had framerate issues.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Deep Down!! I'm sure it has been mentioned to death but damn it looked so good and I love action rpgs! I can play them all day like I play Souls games over and over.

Top Bottom