• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that take advantage of New 3DS' enhanced processing power

Warning! Many pics!

nhukexessza7uuwmvsab.png

As you know, the New 3DS has significantly more power than the regular Nintendo 3DS.

CPU: ARM11 @268 MHz Dual Core to ARMv11 Quad Core @268 MHz with L2 cache
RAM: 128 MB to 256 MB in total
VRAM: 6 MB to 10 MB
GPU: yet unknown, but has a built in video decoder.

As you can see, the difference is quite big, big enough to deliver a noticeable boost compared to a regular Nintendo 3DS.

However, at this point there is only one game that really takes advantage of the processing power, as you may already know, the games have to be optimized for the New 3DS architecture to take advantage of the processing power. In this thread we are counting games that have a visual boost or a framerate boost compare to regular 3DS, not including faster loading times.

Games that take advantage of the New 3DS's processing power

Monster_Hunter_4_Ultimate_E3_Trailer_PEGI

What's better?

+ Texture resolution is improved

FcxdqDE.jpg

rGah91pl.jpg

Old 3DS

oLV1p3G.jpg

New 3DS

6tKMl1P.jpg

New 3DS

GffWGZ0.jpg

Old 3DS

gBLOXGn.jpg

Old 3DS

PwzYmZG.jpg

New 3DS

p0SxyX1.jpg

+ shadow resolution is improved

IyWj4MB.jpg

+framerate is boosted (Not 100% sure about that, please leave your impressions in the thread)

cover_large.jpg

EXCLUSIVE

Power is probably used to render such a huge world. For a handheld this is amazing.

I will update this thread as soon as we get new games that take advantage. Hopefully Nintendo will use this power.

Me too. I hope it's not DSi-type situation and more of a Game Boy Color situation.

Still, I have a feeling we'll get a new handheld announced in the next 12 months.

Me too. I hope it's not DSi-type situation and more of a Game Boy Color situation.

Still, I have a feeling we'll get a new handheld announced in the next 12 months.

Don't count on that.

I do like your Gameboy Color analogy, though. MonHun 4 proves that you can make games look and run better on the new 3DS without breaking compatibility with the OG models. I hope we see more people take advantage of that, and I would love for older games to be patched too.

Don't count on that.

I do like your Gameboy Color analogy, though. MonHun 4 proves that you can make games look and run better on the new 3DS without breaking compatibility with the OG models. I hope we see more people take advantage of that, and I would love for older games to be patched too.

I'd like that too. Majoras Mask for a example has many framerate hits. New 3DS could fix that. Or Pokemon X and Y. There are many possibilities.

If a old game is patched, I will add them to the OP.

Don't count on that.

For sure, I definitely hope 3DS sticks around for a while. I've grown quite fond ofbit the last couple of years especially. Just never know with Nintendo is all!

Richie

Smash's loading times are almost non existant on the N3DS. Pressing HOME works instantly too, and it supports both Miiverse and the Internet function.

That's... really quite substantial.

Maybe we might get the next 3D Pokemon game on our 3D enabled systems in actual 3D whilst playing on the overworld!

Maybesew

Good thread. This was a topic on bombcast last week or the week before. I think they said there were a grand total of 2-3 games that ever took advantage of the DSi. Hopefully this won't be the case with the new 3ds

LordOfChaos

CPU: ARM11 @268 MHz Dual Core to ARMv11 Quad Core @268 MHz with L2 cache

GPU: yet unknown, but has a built in video decoder.

I'm nit picking for what will amount to an academic difference, but the first part is still in controversy last I checked. Some reports are of a quad core at the same old clock speed (and with 4x VFPv2 Co-Processors to match), some reports are of a dual core at double the clock speed, and one guy told me he saw it mentioned there were two different ARM core types, though that I have not seen backing of.

And the second part, it's widely accepted that the GPU is completely unchanged apart from the added vram - same Pica, same clock speed.

atbigelow

Yeah it seems only those folks under NDAs know the actual changes to the hardware. It'd be nice if that info got out somehow to confirm what has changed.

I would love for older games to be patched too.

Snake Eater 3D seems like a perfect candidate for this. If that game just ran at a (mostly) stable 30 fps it would be fantastic. As it is now I think it's locked at 20. I doubt we'll see them do anything to it though, not even sure if it's possible.

Snake Eater 3D seems like a perfect candidate for this. If that game just ran at a (mostly) stable 30 fps it would be fantastic. As it is now I think it's locked at 20. I doubt we'll see them do anything to it though, not even sure if it's possible.
Yep, a slight boost to the performance and better button mapping (swap ZR with R, etc) would be pretty nice. They can re-release it as a budget title with a "Better on New Nintendo 3DS" sticker.
If you had to choose between the new 3DS and a WiiU....which one would you buy? I love consoles and handhelds.
Depends if you have a normal 3DS already.
both, imo

Yeah, that game definitely strikes me as one that could use a "New" touch-up.

Grief.exe

I bought one in 2011 but sold it due to the lack of good games. 3DS XL or normal version? I prefer image quality over screen size.

If you play DS games then get the XL version for 1:1 pixel mapping. If you have large hands, the original 3DS is essentially unplayable.

Edit: you reference the new 3DS versions in your first post, rendering my comments irrelevant as they refer to the older versions.

you should get a 3DS XL and a WiiU

Tsunamo

I'm really impressed they went and did that for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I wanted something like that to happen for New 3DS versions of software but I really wasn't expecting someone to do it.

Hopefully more devs follow suite.
So I have more reason to actually get one

samn

I bought one in 2011 but sold it due to the lack of good games. 3DS XL or normal version? I prefer image quality over screen size.

Get the normal version.

I have large hands and I find the n3DS just as, if not more comfortable than my XL, and the screen looks substantially better. Images on screen look more like actual entities and less like blobs of pixels.

I've tried playing nDS games in blown up mode as well, and found that they look surprisingly good on the screen anyway.

18-Volt

Of all future games, I can only think Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem If as games to take advantage of that power. What else is coming this year that might graphically challenge the hardware?

If you play DS games then get the XL version for 1:1 pixel mapping. If you have large hands, the original 3DS is essentially unplayable.

you should get a 3DS XL and a WiiU

I have large hands but I don't play DS games, damn^^

Get the normal version.

I have large hands and I find the n3DS just as, if not more comfortable than my XL, and the screen looks substantially better. Images on screen look more like actual entities and less like blobs of pixels.

I've tried playing nDS games in blown up mode as well, and found that they look surprisingly good on the screen anyway.

thanks ^^

Are you serious?! I thought that MH4 looked really sharp while I was playing it. What an awesome surprise that I'm actually playing an enhanced version. That makes the purchase of the new hardware even sweeter, as I'm loving MH4 to begin with.

I have large hands but I don't play DS game

If you do I would try and see if you can get your hands on one of each size, even if just for a few minutes to see how it feels. I know for some people it doesn't bother them at all, but for me the original 3DS size is horribly uncomfortable.

BTHR Zero X

eerrr can the 3DS take screen shots? yet this were taken with a poor camera @.@

Or am I missing something?

But on topic that does seem like a nice upgrade

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really disappointed that MM didn't take any advantage of it aside from camera control.

For a game with its own limited edition of the console, you'd think it would.

TI82

Banned
Really disappointed that MM didn't take any advantage of it aside from camera control.

Yeah. No kidding, talk about lazy or hoarding games away.

Anyway I hope they do an update for pokemon or something. It could really use the extra power. At least for Z/Emerald/X2Y2

Ridley327

It's weird, since the game has some framerate problems here and there. You think that would be an easy thing to support.

Naminator

Banned
I know this is a bit off topic but WOW, I did not know that the processor in the 3DS was that bad, I knew it was pretty weak and all, but god damn I think there are 100$ cellphones that can put even the new 3DS to shame.

PSGames

The fact they put this much effort into upgrading MonHun4 makes me want to buy the game now when previously I had middling interest.

Deadstar

Yeah, I'm glad monster hunter takes advantage of it. I'm used to the vita and I didn't realize how bad the graphics were on the 3ds. The extra power will make it more tolerable for me.

SmithnCo

Of all future games, I can only think Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem If as games to take advantage of that power. What else is coming this year that might graphically challenge the hardware?

Hopefully the next Pokemon game. The built-in amiibo functionality will probably help too, if they want to rake in the dough.

Yeah I was disappointed too. There are many FPS dips in MM 3D the N3DS could eliminate.

Do you really think the 3DS has only 2 games this year? Of course there will be more.

Top Bottom