• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that took you too long to realize they suck.

Batiman

Banned
I wouldn’t say the game sucked but I’d put dead cells and Nier automata in this category. Just didn’t have fun playing them but for some reason bu put time into them.

Ten_Fold

Sf5 in recent memory, can’t believe I got to like 15kBP online to realize I hate the game. I tried to like it, but man I hate how dumbed down the game feels.

Horizon zero dawn didn’t suck, it was just boring, it felt meh, like I played it for like 4-5hrs and never touched it again.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anthem. Loved every min of it till I beat to campaign. Most of these types of game start at the end of the story this one just came to a grinding halt.

Blond

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2, I mean I was a little bored but when the game had a mission that was a flat out QTE to Queens of the Stone Age everything hit me like a ton of bricks of how shit the movement was, the characters, the story, the mechanics, just everything.

Ikutachi

I beat Quest 64.
VPv9ZZT.png

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Halo CE, Halo 2 and Destiny 2. Took me a little time to realize the aim assist (bullet magnetism) playing with m+kb. To hell with any aim assist

Last edited:

Sejan

Every mainline final fantasy since 9 (I haven’t played the mmos). They have completely lost sight of what made the series great.

The entire elder scrolls series is the definition of wide but shallow. There are a ton of systems, but there just isn’t any depth to the majority of them. Unfortunately, each game is even more shallow than the last. At this rate, elder scrolls will be an idle, clicker game within a game or two.

GHG

Most recently?

I regret paying full price and putting 40 hours into Cyberpunk in its current state.

I'm pretty sure it will be a completely different game in a year or twos time and will be much more worthy of that kind of time investment.

BotW: Soulless, empty, boring, and unnecessarily dark. I've been a Zelda fan since the first one on NES and this was the least Zelda-like Zelda I've ever played. World traversal was cool, but I dropped the game once I realized how repetitive it was. Every new area is usually some tower or another annoying shrine with a stable. No dungeons, wtf. Weapon breakage and recipe busywork. Incredibly overhyped game for people with Nintendo beer goggles.

Skyrim: Amazing at the beginning for its time, especially the first dragon encounters, but super repetitive to the point that seeing mentions of draugrs in GoW a decade later actually made me queasy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Far Cry 3 - that was not the boss? There is another island?

Dead island - The first environement was cool... city was different... sewers? forest? it goes downhill

Alien Isolation - Wow, great graphics, atmosphere, I dig it. After 4-5 hours... wait? turn on another generator? another generator? Another generator? Another minigame?

Horizon Zero Dawn - 30 hours of having to aim at small glowing parts or robots. 30 hours of crafting arrows... the story made less sense as it went forward.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Actually liked it but) - This is a weird one. I liked playing it but realized it was shit AFTER I finished it... I would not want to replay this game. The pacing is that slow.

Days Gone - (still better than above games and actually a pretty fine game) Love the graphics and setting. Wait,,, so Buzzer really us useless? it took 30 hours to get to horde killing and decent bike fuel capacity?!

AmuroChan

Final Fantasy XIII - I've loved every FF game up to that point. 50 hours into FFXIII and I just couldn't do it anymore.

Halo 5 - I kept waiting for the campaign to get better. It never did.

GHG

BotW: Soulless, empty, boring, and unnecessarily dark. I've been a Zelda fan since the first one on NES and this was the least Zelda-like Zelda I've ever played. World traversal was cool, but I dropped the game once I realized how repetitive it was. Every new area is usually some tower or another annoying shrine with a stable. No dungeons, wtf. Weapon breakage and recipe busywork. Incredibly overhyped game for people with Nintendo beer goggles.

God you reminded me... I put a silly amount of time into this game thinking it must get good at some point considering all the praise it received. Nope, just the same old shit over and over. If ubisoft released that game it wouldn't have even got 7/10.

Remember Me. Not that it took me long -- I just kept trying to give it a chance. And I still don't think the game outright sucks -- it just wasn't for me. And it's a shame because I think the premise is fantastic, and the setting and protagonist both have a lot of potential. But I got tired of the gameplay loop and the bad encounter design, and to this day, it is the only game on Steam I have ever uninstalled and deleted/deregistered from my library. (This was in the days before Steam refunds; I would have certainly asked for a refund if that option was available at the time.)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Star Ocean 3 is a game I hate-played for probably 40 hours of its 50 hour runtime. 2004 was a different time, man.

None.

I've never put anything more then maybe 2 hours into a game that I really didn't like. I know whether a game "sucks" IMO pretty quickly. Even the games that I did put a couple hours into I only did so just in case the game got better which in some cases has worked out like with the Wolfenstein reboot. That first level is generic trash, but quickly turned into something great and same with Spec Ops The Line.

apowhungo

Death Stranding
im only about 2 hours in and already worrying im gonna have that realization :/
Days Gone. Spent around 20 hours with it. Tried to convince myself that I’m having fun because I liked the idea and the world, but it is simply too flawed.
i know what you mean but honestly unlocking the hordes are almost worth getting through everything. its an unnecessarily long game though, great voice acting though.

Devil May Cry V: nice combat system, graphics, character animation, etc, until you realize you need to play a good part of the game with a shit character (V), and the second half of the game is terribad because it's inside a fucking tree with almost no visual and gameplay variation.
Yes the latter half was a fucking slog since it was so visually boring. Felt like I was playing a PS2-era title with the level design.

Path of Exile.
While it doesn't "suck", it took me a couple hundred hours to realize this wasn't a game made for me. People playing only seasonal ladder will not care, but I like playing the same, lovingly crafted characters for months, if not years; but new patches at the start of every season ruining the builds I was starting to enjoy killed the game for me.

RDR2 and Monster Hunter World. Both have super slow clunky gameplay that makes it impossible for me to enjoy them.

I need it fluid and smooth.

HeadsUp7Up

God you reminded me... I put a silly amount of time into this game thinking it must get good at some point considering all the praise it received. Nope, just the same old shit over and over. If ubisoft released that game it wouldn't have even got 7/10.
I used to feel bad for not finishing this game since I paid full price for it but I finally realized I just wasn’t really into it. Looks like I wasn’t alone at all.

theclaw135

Banned
Skyrim wears out its welcome hundreds of hours before you're remotely done with the sidequests.
Mega Man X8 gets credit for stepping up the visuals and voice acting. Until it dawns on you how gimmicky the levels still are.

Last edited:

TheFawz

Gears 5

I regret the time I spent into it, especially Escape/Horde/Versus, what a waste of my time for a terrible game. Even the campaign I should have rushed it or watched it on YouTube. I'm just glad I got it through GamePass instead of buying it and will be a lot more aprehensive with the series moving forward

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tales of Graces f. When I finally beat the final boss I immediately took the game out of my console and went to sell it at a local games store.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I usually can tell if a game sucks in the very beginning.

But just for the sake of complaining, I'll say Final Fantaxy XII. It sucked from the beginning, but it took finishing it for me to believe it..I was a huge fan of the series..up to that point.

Haven't really been back since.

theclaw135

Banned
I usually can tell if a game sucks in the very beginning.

But just for the sake of complaining, I'll say Final Fantaxy XII. It sucked from the beginning, but it took finishing it for me to believe it..I was a huge fan of the series..up to that point.

Haven't really been back since.

Final Fantasy IV had one of the craziest difficulty curves I can name. Once you run into the likes of monsters that deal a bunch of status effects at once... yikes.

driqe

God of war, Gears 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Watch dogs, Days Gone, Quantum break, Gravity rush, FF7R, NIOH 1(I liked 2), uncharted 4 Valhalla
Hollow Knight

AJUMP23

Gold Member
NMS I played it for 2 weeks. Should have stopped at 1.

Hudson’s adventure island. The game sucks and as a kid I tried to convince myself I liked it. I didn’t. I hated it. It taught me a valuable lesson of valuing my dollar and be careful with what I purchase. Buy quality games.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
For me, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. I know it doesn't suck, and it's a beautiful game...but I just could not keep going through it after 100 hours in.

(Probably my own fault for always feeling like I have to explore and collect everything.) :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom