• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were not finished at all

spats

Haze is a great example. Had a lot of cool ideas going for it, solid shooting, cool (albeit unfinished) level design with lots of variety but all that was for nothing because everything else was completely broken.

KOTOR 2 too, such a shame. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Godhand. Needed a bit more polish.
:lol No.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Assassin's Creed

They had a ridiculously strong base with the cities and the parkour, but somehow forgot that they needed to make some sort of mission progression until the very last minute.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gexecuter said:
Woah that seems pretty cool, any link with more info about the planned features?
I'm pretty sure that's not true. In fact, alot of the stuff mentioned in this thread has been nothing but hearsay and rumors.

Speevy

Banned
no way dude, Wind Waker is the best Zelda ever because of its stunning art direction, how could it be unfinished?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The worst is KOTOR 2. Characters just stopped saying new things halfway through the game, important plot points came out of nowhere with no explanation, there were masses of bugs, glitchy quests, the whole thing was a total mess. Needed another year in the oven.

Wind Waker is nowhere near that bad. Yeah it had a slightly annoying fetch quest and a dungeon was obviously taken out, but in terms of stability and bugs the game was fine. It may have had things removed, but the game was in a finished state.

Silent Hill 4: The Room

Repetition of the same levels in the second half, and it's believed that a UFO ending was scrapped. The "channeling stone" exists in the coding, but cannot be obtained by normal means.

Dreavus

Earl Cazone said:
Or so you think.

The most prominent example would be the Wind Waker. There is a lot content that wasnt finished or didnt make it in the game. What about this egg:

http://www.abload.de/img/gzlp01-12jg9t.jpg[IMG]

The triforce Hunt felt added to stretch the game.
Also:
Am I the only one drooling about the thought, how awesome that underwater hyrule kingdom would have been without/with a much wider barrier?
[IMG]http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/9/95/View_of_Hyrule_From_Atop_Ganon%27s_Tower.jpg/800px-View_of_Hyrule_From_Atop_Ganon%27s_Tower.jpg[IMG]

[B]It felt Like "Wow is this just the beginning", which it sadly has not been. But imagine, they cut that triforce hunt and let you get to the triforce with another couple of dungeons and of course some fanservice, like visiting familiar places in the new look and probably abandoned (its underwater, after all)[/B][/QUOTE]

I had an interesting thought process when I reached this area. I remember thinking:

"Holy shit, this would be so awesome to explore, but there's no way it's going to happen..."

*breaks barrier*

"Whoa, I'm actually allowed to move around down here? THIS IS THE BEST THING EV--"

*reach Ganon's place after moving down a very short path*

=(

It looked so much bigger than it actually was.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yoshichan said:
[re: God Hand]:lol No.
Not necessarily the gameplay, but the environments in that game are despicably basic and lazy. Aside from texture resolution they feel like bad PS1-era relics.

Celine

lordy88 said:
Really people? No mention of this beast?

1-114387468_DaikatanaLogo-735868.jpg
ultima9.jpg

comedian

Demons Soul- Would have loved to been able to go the Northern Lands.

"The Northern Lands were once home to the race of mighty giants. They lived in relative peace with the rest of Boletaria, until the thick, colorless fog swept in and blanketed their domain. The Northern Lands were the first to succumb to the spread of Demons, and in an effort to contain the madness, Boletaria sent hundreds of thousands of its finest knights to the great kingdom to fend off the threat. The effort was for naught, and the Archstone connecting to this land was later destroyed as a last-ditch attempt to contain the chaos. It did not succeed."

Source

Mael

Come on people!
Some mentions of Saga Frontier but no one on Romancing Saga?
The game that was so unfinished they actually had to make 2 remakes for the project to be complete!

The game revolve around the 10 fatestones that were used by the former hero to seal the God of Darkness or whatever.
The hero must go on his quest to kill said god for good, using as many fatestones (which are also powerfull artifacts) as he can.
The game was released on SFC in 91 IIRC and you could only get like 7 or the 10 fatestones AND some places (like the Isle of Darkness) are completely sealed off.

The game was later remade for the Wonderswan and now you had access to one more fatestones and content were still not making it.
Then in 2005 the FINAL version on ps2(get it, it's awesome...like the best rpg of the last 5 years), you could access the 10 fatestones, there was new game + AND Saruin could absorb the fatestones powers to become the ultimate boss ever (which was probably why they put the bloody stones in the games to begin with).

And yeah Sonic 06, they shipped and sold the pre alpha version of that project...on ps3 too.

Hellshadow said:
Super Mario Sunshine didn't feel finished.

Yeah it did. They just made some questionable design choices along the way. Still a great game, though.

RadioHeadAche said:
Silent Hill 4: The Room

Repetition of the same levels in the second half, and it's believed that a UFO ending was scrapped. The "channeling stone" exists in the coding, but cannot be obtained by normal means.

Damn. I didn't know that. I thought it had so many differences from 1-3 because it started as a non-SH title.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
heh, clicked the thread to say wind waker

danmaku

·feist· said:
This can't possibly be stated enough:

200408b.jpg

Now, I also own this..

270457b.jpg

..and no, I don't consider it to be the answer.

Even with the issues, it's one of the best action games ever. Still, what could have been...

THIS. NG2 could've been the greatest action game of all time but no, fucking Tecmo (or Microsoft, choose your poison) had to ruin it.

Obsessed said:
Sonic 2k6: Did they even test the game out? So many awful bugs and glitches. Clearly they wanted to get the game out ASAP, rather than polishing it up.

It's not just about the glitches. Every character was going to get an "Episode". Including Metal Sonic, who is in no way in the final game. Sonic was supposed to be able to become Super Sonic and be playable in stages. Silver was supposed to get a power-up that increased his movement speed. There were going to be an additional set of stage layouts for a Super Hard difficulty. (Yes, the game was going to have Normal, Hard, Very Hard, and Super Hard.) There were going to be Sonic music trivia contests, with the soundtracks of almost every Sonic game purchasable.

Even some of the things in the game are just wrong. Characters like Tails and Omega are supposed to have flight meters. I don't think there's a single Shield monitor in the game despite the manual listing it. There's a tiny XP bar on the HUD for upgrading Sonic's gems that's not actually used, and his gems are always at full power instead of collecting power from the Chaos Drives and such (which worked in the demo). Some of his gems let him do screwed up things, like slow down the timer of any level using the red gem (without slowing down himself), or infinitely air-jumping using the Size Gem. Sonic can only Light Dash certain lines of rings in the final game, but Shadow can pretty much Light Dash any line of rings, and Sonic could in the demo. Hordes of things like that.

ShutDown202 said:
Can you explain this one please.

Im really interested in this game.

I'd have to scrounge for the link, but NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams apparently had tons of cinemas cut, but with some of the script still on the disc. I've never played through the game, just the beginning, but I've read that the plot literally makes no sense at some points because of how badly they hacked it up.

Didnt they find hundreds of lines of script locked away on the dvd somewhere in KOTOR2 for the real ending of the game that they couldnt produce within the ridiculous eleven month development cycle?

There is no greater example of an unfinished game than that one.

None.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Datrio said:
Final Fantasy VII

There are deleted scenes (
one from the beginning of the game and one from the ending
), deleted areas ( ), some theories that the ending of the first disc should be completely different, deleted key items, and MANY other stuff.

Final Fantasy XIII

Looks like there are deleted areas here, as well.

Woah woah woah :eek:

that's all brand new to me !!

Duki

Banned
Three dungeons that were definitely cut from the Wind Waker:

- Jabu Jabu was going to have a dungeon
- Fire island was going to be a whole dungeon
- Ice island was going to be a dungeon

Miyamoto or Aonuma confirmed this in some interview ages ago.

I don't recall any developer saying that old Hyrule was ever intended to be more than it was, however.

edit: and really now guys, if you actually insisted on everyone only talking about games that were literally unfinished, this thread would have ended in four posts.

[Nintex]

Starfox Adventures wasn't finished. They even recorded voice acting for the general scales battle that didn't make it into the game.

Perfect Dark Zero wasn't finished, this scene wasn't in the game:
zivnky.jpg

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts wasn't finished an entire world was scrapped to reach the deadline:
This world is referenced several times in the game by characters in Showdown Town. A villager references Weird west by saying it was once accessible through the boarded up windows and doorways found near the Pier. LOG makes the comment, "You should be grateful, I could've sent you to Hoedown Town. It's awful. The music, the dancing! Oh my!" A penguin in Showdown Town also makes a reference to this world saying, "You know the docks used to be twice as long? There used to be doors that lead to the Weird West game world."

Due to the 360 running out of memory in Showdown Town they cut off a piece from the Klungo arcade area.

There's also a sequence in the Logbox 720 level when the objective is:
"There was supposed to be a really cool challenge here [can't remember what it was...] but we had to cut it due to deadlines so here's a daft flying challenge instead."
Then you proceed to fly 3 circles. :lol

beje

Banned
Zone of the Enders.

... and then, during what appears to be an incoming epic boss battle, credits start rolling in as a big "Fuck you, now spend another 60€ in ZOE2 to know how does this end".

Being a extremely short game (less than 4 hours) with zero replay value aside for getting better scores (and the reward if you did was just a different song for the final credits) didn't help at all and really made you think they rushed the game in less than 6 months.

BAW

Banned
Maxirugi said:
Vampire_-_The_Masquerade__Bloodline.png

So buggy, yet still manages to be awesome.

A community patch exists that makes this game better than sex. Everyone on this thread, get this game plus the unofficial patch, now.

Gomu Gomu

_dementia said:
Ninja Gaiden II
I came here to post this. What a disaster that game was.

t4ng0 said:
Halo reach

:lol

beje said:
Zone of the Enders.

... and then, during what appears to be an incoming epic boss battle, credits start rolling in as a big "Fuck you, now spend another 60€ in ZOE2 to know how does this end".

Being a extremely short game (less than 4 hours) with zero replay value aside for getting better scores (and the reward if you did was just a different song for the final credits) didn't help at all and really made you think they rushed the game in less than 6 months.
Yeah... But it had the MGS2 Demo, which added more value than any other PS2 game at the time. The way I see it. I bought the awesome demo. And it came with a 4 great hour game.

Shig said:
Not necessarily the gameplay, but the environments in that game [Godhand] are despicably basic and lazy. Aside from texture resolution they feel like bad PS1-era relics.

I don't think you've understood this game.

comedian said:
Demons Soul- Would have loved to been able to go the Northern Lands.

"The Northern Lands were once home to the race of mighty giants. They lived in relative peace with the rest of Boletaria, until the thick, colorless fog swept in and blanketed their domain. The Northern Lands were the first to succumb to the spread of Demons, and in an effort to contain the madness, Boletaria sent hundreds of thousands of its finest knights to the great kingdom to fend off the threat. The effort was for naught, and the Archstone connecting to this land was later destroyed as a last-ditch attempt to contain the chaos. It did not succeed."

Source

DLC. Believe.

NinjaBoiX

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Resistance 2. One of the most unfinished high-profile releases I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

Visually, the whole game looked like it could have used an extra year in the oven. They simply spread the project out too thin - I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it was too ambitious for its own good.

THIS. It felt so barren, like they hadn't finished furnishing the levels or something. It would barely pass for beta code in my mind.

Denzar

The Saboteur and Brütal Legend.

Felt like the developers wanted to tell a longer story but did not have enough time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ea704312452101285d5bcba8bdf79799-Lunar__Dragon_Song.jpg

Clearly rushed from start to finish to be the first RPG on the DS. Another year of work/QC and it could have been awesome.

Salazar

Deepack said:
The Saboteur and Brütal Legend.

Felt like the developers wanted to tell a longer story but did not have enough time.

I think the 'unfinished in the sense of bad, shoddy, slapdash' terms apply to The Saboteur.

jax (old)

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Reshitstance 2. One of the most unfinished high-profile releases I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

Visually, the whole game looked like it could have used an extra year in the oven. They simply spread the project out too thin - I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it was too ambitious for its own good.

ah this horrible mess. I really hate it when ps3gaf pimp this piece of shit.

prince of persia with drake (2008). took a DLC (which I refuse to buy) to wrap it up but the game is basically the same shit for x no. of hours

I'd say all ubisoft games are unfinished as its all the same shit for x no. of hours.

beje

Banned
I forgot about Dreamfall, though being all kinds of fucking awesome, also suffered from the "we must have this game on shelves next week so hand in whatever you have" syndrome.

Due to this, I think it's one of the very few games where
the bad guys end up winning in the end, as your main character ends up in coma and the evil product designed to brainwash people actually manages to hit the stores

wRATH2x

Banned
Willy105 said:
Star Wars (1977) only ending up being a sixth of what Lucas originally wanted doesn't mean it was an unfinished movie.
:lol Yeah we believe that.

Anyway Wind Waker was amazing, somethings were definitely unfinished. Hell Majora's Mask might be the only "finished" 3D Zelda when you really think about it.

I'd go with Twilight Princess as my pick though. A lot of what Aunoma wanted was either scrapped or not fully realized, and many youtube videos out there show a lot of things should have been there.

TWW for sure. I was pissed when the game handed me one of the pearls instead of letting me explore a dungeon. Felt like they just gave up and said "Here you go, we couldn't come up with a design for a dungeon"
TWW overworld also felt cheap as hell. It was checker board with predictable layouts.Whoever designed the overworld must've copy and pasted from a template because most of the islands were identical and uninspired.
It was also disappointing that they made some lame story about the ocean in TWW not having fish so they didn't have to put a fishing mini game in. We instead got little "gems" like auctioning, sailing the boat around a small area to collect rupees, and decorating the town with flowers.....
How about the ending credits? Bubbles? Seriously.....
They put in more effort in the credits section in TP, OOT, MM, and LTTP.

Pooya

Cncgen-win-cover.jpg

Command & Conquer Generals, there are tons and tons of cut content: voices, units, buildings, missions, lots of unused AI scripts (AI is a joke in this game, they obviously didn't have time to finish it), lots of unused unit models complete with animation and sound, lots of removed abilities, even factions. fortunately all of that was left in game data files and community have used them in various mods.

danmaku

Jax said:
prince of persia with drake (2008). took a DLC (which I refuse to buy) to wrap it up but the game is basically the same shit for x no. of hours

I'd say all ubisoft games are unfinished as its all the same shit for x no. of hours.

Not at all. It's a conscious design choice, they want their games to be simple and straightforward. Everything else (graphics, sound, menus, code, even manuals) is perfect, and clearly shows that they had all the time they needed.

danmaku said:
Not at all. It's a conscious design choice, they want their games to be simple and straightforward. Everything else (graphics, sound, menus, code, even manuals) is perfect, and clearly shows that they had all the time they needed.

"I need another half hour, dammit!"

92459245.jpg

cornerman

Heavenly Sword - Obviously, this was a launch title, so perhaps this goes without saying to some degree. But Heavenly Sword had great potential. Alot of the menu items and GUIs looked simple and basic....almsot what one might consider as placeholders. I think the QTEs would have recieved more testing, and maybe some of the basic enemy grunts would have gotten a little more polish.

Lair - suffered from the same problems as Heavenly Sword in the GUI department. Health bars and information on the screen was primitive lol. Not sure if the mandatory motion control wouldn't have still made it in, but perhaps they would have enabled controller support from the start had they more playtesting.

Top Bottom