• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you regretted buying at full price

Cobenzl

Latest CoD on PS5. Single player is OK but split screen multi player is a big pile of shite - and it cost me £65. Avoid.

EDMIX

I'm sorry but its funny to me how you made the same mistake twice. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shit imagine how funny it is to me bruh! lol

Part of me wanted to wait, another part of me really wanted Amazon to PAY WHAT THEY OWE for that 20% off new games. I knew CP2077 was going to have some issues, but never in my life did I believe it was going to be AI not existing issues, world not even finished with missing elements issues lol I don't know if anyone really knew the game would ship in such a condition other then CDPR themselves.

Garnox

I'll go with Monster Hunter World. Not because the game was terrible or anything, but because my jackass friends at the time got tired of playing Destiny 2 (think right around the time of Curse of Osiris) and told me to buy MHW.

Well $60 later, they played maybe for a week and then stopped. I then realized they were just errant players who just hopped to the next thing. Wankers haha

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I bought the PS2 versions of it and X-Men Origins: Wolverine few years ago. I also got them just to see how different they are compared to the next-gen versions. There are some cases when the last-gen versions are actually better like Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

I got the Xbox 360 version later and I liked it. I tried it again last year and it hasn't aged well but its still a lot better than the PS2 version.

It was that strange time when ps3 3rd party games were not very good. Honestly the PS2 version of Spider-Man 2 didn't age that great either I feel. Doesn't help the PS4 one does the same thing.

DayZ, Division 2 (I thought D1 was cool), another copy of Monster Hunter World (I liked it Ok at first, it’s just not my MH). Most Rogues I never play long, but I also bought strategy games forever and didn’t play them until the latest Fire Emblem which I loved.

CitizenZ

Banned
I would say Far Cry 5 because the outline for the DLC made it interesting. Everyone of the DLCs were horrible and i do mean horrible though i enjoyed the main game a lot.

Last edited:

plip.plop

RDR2. I was so hyped for that game I bought the $100 version. Played the first one again before it dropped. Only to play the RDR2 for 2 hours and haven't touched it since.

Outer Worlds (I'm not on Gamepass), and I noticed the reactions of people playing it for a dollar vs. those who shelled out $60 are vastly different.

Definitely not a $60 game, and the fact the DLCs are $15 - fuck that!

MikonJuice

Mafia 2 - the one pre-purchase that traumatized me. Awesome demo... and just to discover, in the game, that one of the best shooting parts were in the demo. The promised customization was not there, and the story ios just cut REALLY short.
I remember reaching a part of the game and then there's a cut in the story, a low res Cg starts playing showing "all the cool stuff that could not be in the game" and then the game goes straight to the ending. Fuck this game, seriously.

MW3 - Modern Warfare 1 and 2 were, at the time, some of the best experience I've ever had in gaming. A move kind of experience, with lots of bombastic moments and a very nice gameplay. Comes MW3, the giant hype with it AND... the game finishes in about 5 to 6 hours. I still can't believe this game being this short. It was fucking offensive!
Not bad, but for a full price you play for... 5 hours? Never bought a Call of Duty again at launch.

Cyberpunk 2077 - heh. I thought I learned ,but no...
Actually... I had a very good experience as I played it as a shooter, so.. pretty cool. Buggy, yes, cool, yes too, but not a "9" or "10" games. Some gaming reviewers really lost respect from me.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The Order 1886. Especially since it went for sale for $10 not long after. The collector's edition was actually pretty good for the price though, game aside.

Alan Wake

These days I know what I'm buying. But my curiousness usually makes me buy it even if I know it' probably not the greatest game ever. Like The Order: 1886. A typical 6/10.

Paasei

Breath of the Wild - Didn't think one piece of gamedesign could pull me out of a game entirely. I avoid all combat cause my weapons break. Such a waste.
All the CoD games I bought that came after 4 - Not all of them are that bad, but CoD4 is the last good CoD game for me (although I can enjoy Warzone).
RDR2 (on PS4) - had to wait for the PC version for it to be playable.
Hitman 3 - I LOVE this game, but I regret not waiting for the Steam for the version.

Kupfer

Battlefield 4 - was a catastrophe at launch compared to BF3 (BF 4 therefore was my last Battlefield franchise game, since I don't feel like they make good games anymore)

Fallout 4 - Bought it at launchday and played quiete a bit, but what a step back from Fallout 3.

The War Z - Someone remembers the DayZ Mod hype era and it's cheap and weird imitators?

Halo : The Master Chief Collection (steam) - wanted to play the whole series with a friend in co-op like we used to on the Xbox360, but the netcode is a mess and the partner has lags every few seconds via online co-op. This is a well known issue, but the developer is not interested in fixing it, because it's too much work.

Black Ops Cold War PS5 - I didn't buy it, it was a gift, but I regret owning it and Activision made money on that copy. The game is soulless and hollow.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
the-order-1886-boxart.png

RAIDEN1

Metal Gear 5- A SHADOW of the games that preceded it...I don't give a dam about free roam if it comes at the price of an engaging/immersive story..

SkylineRKR

Last year it was Doom Eternal and FFVII R. I just didn't enjoy both of them.

Earlier Andromeda, Blops 4. I generally wait for sales, and it works out well as Death Stranding and RE3 were some of the best 25 buck ever spent. Death Stranding was like 2 months after release.

Mhmmm 2077

That new "Prey", which is not Prey at all. Maybe Naruto Storm 4, cus it was buggy on PC and locked to 30fps at the time.

Top Bottom