• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

KareBear

Ferentus and Rubies of Eventide.Two free to play 3D mmos from a few years back.At the time they were two of the few "real" mmos that were F2P.I know they were not great but I have very fond memories of both.

hayejin

I'm glad to see a few people who know about GNOME, I'm the only one of my friends who has heard of or played the thing. I'm gonna throw another one out there, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE has played this game.
Stgx8.jpg

I've mentioned it in a few threads here but no one has ever acknowledged. If you had Sega Channel you've played this game!

I played this( J version when it came out). In fact when I saw this post I started humming the level music from this game. No idea why that music is still embedded in my brain nearly 18 years later.

Canuck76

Banned
XYRpX.jpg

The first game I ever owned. I remember being disappointed that it wasn't like the SNES bombermans with multiplayer,but I grew with the gameplay.

Dear Lord pretty much my first game i ever owned. Looked up gameplay on youtube and it brought back so many memories. Only ever got to the dragon boss who i beat like once or twice.

Swig_

I probably would have said Wasteland, since it was my favorite game back in the 80s when my parents were the only people in the neighborhood to have a PC. I had no idea it was so popular (Kickstarter for WL2)..

Aside from that, I don't really have one. :\

Alright, a more clear post now that I'm not on my phone. To reiterate:

L-R: Wonky but artistically earnest god-sim from 1999, Utterly French. One of those early MMO games way ahead of its time.

EDIT: WHOA, I forgot about this one. One of the coolest games I've never heard anyone else yarn on about.

It was a cyberpunk sandbox game with a complete game editor from 1998. Perhaps the Australian development by...former Blue Tongue guys (?)...and poor distribution might have hampered exposure.

Raife

Mine is the Red Star for PS2. Such a great Contra style shooter with great mechanics and a unique universe.

trp3x.jpg

s7evn

Probably not alone but
200px-Cyberiagameshot.jpg

I don't remember anything about this game except that it was around and I play 5 minutes of it.

sp3000

I played the sequel to this which was one of the best mech games. It's actually what eventually leads into the Starsiege and Tribes universe

A few people here might have played it.
WVbB0.jpg

alHbm.jpg

Brilliant game. Also had one of the best soundtracks ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfC4y8KT3E

I was waiting for a thread like this to say how awesome this game is. Ladies and Gentlemen, Tactilcal Ops:

Best multiplayer game ever!

It really was far better than Counterstrike, simply because it was so easily moddable. It also had some awesome levels.

Raife

Probably not alone but
200px-Cyberiagameshot.jpg

I don't remember anything about this game except that it was around and I play 5 minutes of it.

I never ended up playing this game but I remember reading about it in a pc gaming magazine I picked up before I had a computer.

Balya

Not me but my friend played this game and was obsessed with it; I have never heard anyone else mention it before:

640463-dink_box_1__large.jpg

I still have this in the big box, was active on the developer's forum and even remember helping him track down a ROM of Time Lord for NES he was looking for back in '98.

I still own this. I haven't played it in a long time, but I remember the computer being a hack and only being able to beat it by getting into fights with other players and knocking them out of the game.

Or maybe I was just bad at it because I was young. Either way.

Kabouter

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

http://i.imgur.com/69CsO.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hdRzj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mSVJ6.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cUmaq.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MclIvXqkn8"]here's the intro
[/URL][/QUOTE]

Played it, as did many others I'm quite confident. For some reason I remember it being quite a big deal when it came out.

[quote="Jotamide, post: 37598716"]I was waiting for a thread like this to say how awesome this game is. Ladies and Gentlemen, Tactilcal Ops:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Tactical_Ops_AoT_cover.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.d.com.com/i/dl/media/dlimage/90/29/8/90298_large.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LqGIstXBYAg/TguLhwia4YI/AAAAAAAAAmw/1oEtRyIiT0c/s400/Tactical+ops.jpg[IMG]

Best multiplayer game ever![/QUOTE]

Played it, not a terrible game I guess. Best multiplayer game ever though? lol no

[quote="Thoraxes, post: 37599085"]Easily:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kdChi.png

Played it, it's not terrible, but not that great either.

Oh man, I remember playing this, I'd totally forgotten about it. Fun game though.

Qasiel

I played the shit out of the demo of this I got with an issue of PC Gamer, but I never saw it for sale. Even now trying to search for it on places like ebay just bring up the Legacy of Kain series. Sucks, as I always wanted to play it.

My submission is Doctor Who: Destiny of the Doctors
250px-Destiny_of_the_Doctors.jpg

I used to play this over at a friend's place and I've never known anyone else to have played it.

A fun adventure game with clips and trivia from the first seven Doctors, having to battle the Master in quirky little side-games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Warzone_2100_cover.png

Loved the game. It may not have been very good, but the idea of your units being giant lego blocks was just really neat.

Those of us that grew up with a Mac may have an advantage in this thread.

iYTcZhJFnYSiY.jpg

ibiiNTC3pUg00R.png

I was way too young to know what I was doing, but I tried every night to make my way through this. Would always just end up bumping into things because the fact that it would play a voice sample each time amazed me.

A little more recent and less obscure than Taskmaker, but Realmz was the game I have the most memories of as a child.

41s8qmEXf8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Such an awful, awful game. I don't even remember why I got it, I think it was a birthday gift from like a grandparent who knew I had a Nintendo 64.

I actually got threw the game because it wasn't too hard, but it was very bad. It was thing that killed my interest in Power Rangers really.

g05063ur7xh.jpg

Also this, I think this was one of my first Game Boy Color game. Looking bad, it was a mediocre Excitebike clone, but I really liked.

Everblue_2_Coverart.png

Played this twice 100% through and still love it more than Endless Ocean and its sequel. This is an underwater treasure diving game done right.

So yeah... an obscure fantastic game on an obscure genre.

This game is awesome. I like Endless Ocean (need to grab EO2), but this is a lot more fun. I remember someone on GAF trashing it for some reason. It's sort of low-budget (the out-of-water menus are pretty lousy-looking), but it's got a ton of content.

I was actually working on a high quality soundtrack rip for a while. I've still got all the files... maybe I'll finish it someday.

Smells like a Kickstarter project.

Pretty much everyone's jumping on the bandwagon, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Well okay, it would surprise me a little.

Pretty much everyone's jumping on the bandwagon, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Well okay, it would surprise me a little.

Thing is, we're talking hamsters and forklifts! If that doesn't sell itself, I don't know what would. In fact, pitched correctly and we'd have console manufacturers knocking down doors for exclusivity deals.

ToxicAdam

rockstar_1.gif

Wizard Games, an indie Scottish company made a DOS shareware game in the early-90's called Rockstar!.

Here's a youtube video of it emulating an acid trip

Billed as "a comedy adventure game that is never the same twice," Rockstar is in fact a fun, and very unique, all-text strategy game from Wizard Games.You play an aspiring rock star who just put together a band. Your goal, naturally, is to be a star, to top the single and album charts, and popularity polls worldwide. Success requires that you work hard, tour extensively, spend a lot of time and money in recording and video studios to churn out popular songs, do radio and television sessions and interviews, and generally plan a campaign for world domination.

Pretty unique game that allowed you to create your own band, name your own songs, then watch as they climb the charts. It had a system (pre-dating The Sims by some years), where you had multiple bars (Happiness, Creativity, Addiction, etc) that you had to keep balanced to progress further into the game. Quite often you would die of drug overdoses, suicide or bankruptcy. It was a terrific game that I wished would have became a mainstream game one day.

Legend of the Red Dragon, old BBS game.

156596-legend-of-the-red-dragon-dos-screenshot-forest-fight-menus.png

WOW, thanks for the nostalgia rush. I actually played this game BEFORE it had fancy ANSI graphics (like in this screenshot). It was a very frustrating game for me, because there was always one guy that I couldn't beat.

Kabouter

Warzone_2100_cover.png

Loved the game. It may not have been very good, but the idea of your units being giant lego blocks was just really neat.

Not very good? I beg to differ, it's an excellent RTS. Had a lot of fun with it. My only problem would be the visual design, which was drab and dull.

Aldo's Adventure
EoOJ8.gif

A friend of mine had only this and another game on his family's PC. I am ashamed to say I played too much of this Donkey Kong clone. Just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPyxYOH8D8
I recall playing a demo of this on a big collection of arcade ripoff shareware titles. I used to love that disk. Still have it somewhere around here, although I'd imagine half of the games won't run, and almost none of them are purchasable at this point.

XYRpX.jpg

The first game I ever owned. I remember being disappointed that it wasn't like the SNES bombermans with multiplayer,but I grew with the gameplay.
The Christmas I got my GBC (the first Nintendo console I owned since the NES; I grew up a Sega kid), I got this and Tetris DX. This wasn't half-bad, but the bosses were such shit. Really liked Jump Mode, though.

This was actually fairly widespread, and the fact that it's related to Doom, which has to have the most devoted-to-a-DOS-game-that-came-out-in-1993 fanbase I've ever seen, means it was pretty well archived, to boot.

Bonus: one of the developers for this game came back a few years ago and released Chex Quest 3. Requires ZDoom or a variant, but hell, it's worth it.

---

Anyway, now for my suggestions.

Sonic's Schoolhouse
I got this back in my "if it has Sonic on it it must be good" phase. Not that I explicitly regret it, since it's not terrible, but still, it's one of the most obscure entries in the series. If you'll forgive the plug, I recorded myself playing it a few years ago - outside of the broken sound effects, it's fairly thorough.

Star Wars Droidworks
I don't remember the circumstances around our getting this game, but it was remarkably fun taking the various robot pieces you could get and creating every combination under the sun. Dicking around the test area and the training areas was great fun. Don't recall much of the actual missions, though, and since the game has issues running on modern hardware, I doubt I'll ever know what they were like at this point. :I Have a video.

Baku Baku Animal
It's like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, but with food and the animals that eat it, instead of gems and weird glowy orb things. Good fun. Have a video.

Asterix and the Great Rescue
This was actually my first interaction with anything Asterix, although I kind of liked it, despite it being hard as a rock. Just a somewhat mediocre platformer, but I rather liked it regardless. You guessed it - have a video.

Goofy's Hysterical History Tour
I believe I got this game with my console, among many many others (most of my Genesis library, in all honesty). It's no Quackshot, but it's another fairly solid platformer that's ridiculously difficult. Gameplay centers around this hand-extending gizmo Goofy invented as he travels through time - well, more like imagines travelling through time while cleaning a museum out (don't ask, the plot makes no sense). On the plus side, this is one of the few games I can think of to have even a level devoted to the American Revolution - a fairly untapped set piece, really (and yes, I'm aware of AC3). I'm going to mix things up a bit and let you have a video.

Rolo to the Rescue
Another tough-as-nails platformer for the Genesis (seeing a pattern here?) that I believe I got for my fifth-or-so birthday. Designed by the James Pond blokes (he even gets a cameo!), and published by Electronic Arts back when they weren't winning golden feces, it's actually fairly solid, if a bit lengthy for a game with no save feature. You have to save all your friends by killing a dude with a big hat and a key, then using that key to automatically open any cages you pass by. Your friends all have specific skills, too, so you then have to switch to and use them to clear a way to your other friends for you, but they're all one-hit wonders - and if you get hit with them in tow, one will run away, possibly rendering a level unwinnable without restarting it. I recall being weirded out by the Blockbuster Video sticker our cart had on it, and the strange design of the cartridge (which, in retrospect, all EA Genesis games sported), thinking this was either a rental or a strange bootleg, but nope, it's mine, and it's legit. Anyway, have a video.

wM8ej.jpg

By Deadline Games, the guys who did total overdose. The game was point and click but the graphics was stop motion, it looked pretty awesome at the time. You play as a schizofrenic person with multiple personalities, who wakes up next to a headless corpse, and have no idea who or where you are, and from there on you have to remember. It was a lot about choices and the story would change depending on whatever you did.

Duw05.jpg
SYpPz.jpg

QD6sp.jpg
VzAXr.jpg

The devs with a set :

IyPYD.jpg
XLJNn.jpg
oqMnJ.jpg
9WS9R.jpg

Nope, played this one too, and actually beat it. I barely remember anything about it now, though, but yeah, it was really a pretty ghetto Wing Commander ripoff. Which is why I wanted it since I was hurting for more WC in the wake of Wing 4.
emot-v.gif

Spider-man-cartoon-maker-box-art1.jpg

I played the hell out of this on my IBM!

"Your imagination is the real super hero!"

Played the hell out of this on my Packard Bell when I was 12! Great times. Even then I knew it kinda sucked but it made use of my CEE DEE ROMMMM and I could USE MY VOICE IN IT!!!!

Anyway, for my own entry, I wonder if anyone's ever played: Fragile Allegiance!

Fragile_Allegiance_title_screen.jpg

As for the description, I'll let Wikipedia do the talkin':

Fragile Allegiance is an open-ended 4X real-time strategy (RTS) game from Gremlin Interactive, released in 1996 for MS-DOS and Windows 95. The game begins on May 25, 2496 as the player begins their employment with TetraCorp (a large interstellar megacorporation) who have set up a new asteroid mining franchise operation in the Fragmented Sectors. There are six alien races competing with Tetracorp for these resources. Beginning with one building and one million credits, the player is tasked with building up a successful mining operation to sell as much ore as possible to the Federation. Diplomacy is crucial to the success or failure of this franchise operation as the players colonies begin to encroach on one another.

Described as a combination of SimCity 2000, Civilization and Risk, Fragile Allegiance uses an icon based GUI for all menus and game commands. Unlike other RTS games, there is no defined tech tree, with technology being unlocked by the purchase of 36 blueprints at any time during the course of the game. Fragile Allegiance is the spiritual successor to K240 and there are many similarities between the two.

Fragile Allegiance generally scored well with reviewers, with PC Gamer UK giving the game the Game of Distinction award and it was praised for its graphics, interface and sound. The game has problems running on Windows XP and later Windows versions, as it was designed for MS-DOS and ported to Windows 95.

Basically, it was a 4x space-based strategy game with real-time fleet combat. It was completely amazing in every way and I am deeply, deeply saddened that Gremlin was disbanded. I spent far too much of my youth played FA and I would give a major limb to see it on GOG and running properly on modern machines.

Top Bottom