• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games TM 133 March 2013 Review Scores

RS27560_GTM133-cover-229x300.jpg

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/magazine-issues/games-issue-133/
Sony’s leap into the next generation with the PlayStation 4 promises unprecedented new gaming experiences on the horizon and games™ investigates its impact on the industry, delves into the games line-up and talks with Sony about how the hardware is set to galvanize the industry.
Features:

PlayStation 4 Revealed
- Sony enters the next-gen console race with a glitzy launch in New York – and games™ was invited.

Ten Years In The Stars
- Bungie has finally shown off Destiny, its shared world shooter, for the first time.

Kojima Speaks
- After 25 years of Metal Gear, Hideo Kojima makes a rare appearance in the UK to discuss his career.

The Truth Behind The 15 Greatest Videogame Myths
- The greatest myths in gaming get busted by games™.

Reviews:

Tomb Raider - 8/10 "Superb, Game-changing stuff from our heroine"

Crysis 3 - 7/10 "Its beauty is but nanosuit deep"

God of War Ascension - 9/10 "Off the chain"

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate 7/10 - "An accessible path into a punishing world"

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 9/10 "Shows that prehistoric Mario how it's done"

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken - 8/10 "A good quality game that's worth your attention"

Fist of tthe North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - 3/10 "It's no Dynasty Warriors, and that's saying something"

Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable - 8/10 "Satisfying cult shooter at a high price"

Strike Suit Zero - 6/10 "Poor execution ruins great space combat"

Omerta: City of Gangsters - 3/10 "More Gangster Squad than Goodfellas"

Knights of Pen & Paper - 8/10 "It has humour, personality and replayability"

Dokuro - 6/10 "Wish the princess was in a less dangerous castle"

Haunt the House: Terrortown - 7/10 "Vita's death has been greatly exaggerated"

Final Fantasy: All the Bravest - 2/10 "A game in the loosest sense of the word"

No Time to Explain - 5/10 "As rushed as its concept"

Previews

Remember Me
Killer Is Dead
Tearaway
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Yarn Yoshi
Fuse
Command & Conquer
Tales Of Xillia

Retro

Behind The Scenes: Space Channel 5
Tetsuya Mizuguchi looks back at his classic Dreamcast rhythm-action game.

Year In Review: 2002
In the final Year In Review, we investigate the European launch of the GameCube and Xbox.

The Retro guide To Alien
With Aliens: Colonial Marines still terrigying us, we look back at the entirety of the franchise.
Seeing as noone has made a thread on this I'll just post the scores up and concluding remarks.

Edit:Oh god can't find their quote online, had to type this up and gave up partway XD, edit whole quote up (for future references XD):
The Average The Average
Three of the numbers in a ten scale are of greater importance than the others: five, seven , and of course ten. Some publications would fool you into believing that a 7/10 game is average, but that just doesn't make sense to us, gamestm reviews videogames on their entertainment value, and so any title that simply performs to an adequate standard will recieve a 5/10. Simple. The elusive ten is reserved for games of incredible, irrefutable quality, but please be aware that a score of ten in no way professes to mean perfection.Perfection is an unattainable goal, and on a ten-point scale nothing should be unattainable. again, simple. Our reviews are not a checklist of technical features with points knocked off for flaws, neither are they PR-pressured fluff-fest - we'd never let that happen, and besides you'd smell it a mile off. And finally, the reviews you find within these pages are most certainly not statements of fact, they are opinions of schooled, knowledgeable videogame journalists, designed to enlighten, inform, and engage. The gospel according to gamestm.
Make of you will with their metacritic history:
http://www.metacritic.com/publication/gamestm

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is the Killer is Dead preview a rehash of known information, or something new?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
God of War Ascension

"But we've never been so happy to be proven wrong, and from its lavish presentation and tight pacing, this is arguably the best God of War yet."

We must have played a different game then.

Gaspode_T

Wow so many of those reviews make no sense to me...from all accounts Tomb Raider is more like a 9 or 10 too right?

Omerta has good impressions from friends I trust...

zroid

Banned
6 out of 10 for Dokuro is straight up bullshit; that game is impeccable.

I don't think you know what impeccable means :p

It's an amazing game though, still, despite its flaws. 6/10 is a much lower score than I would award it. Probably my favourite original Vita game, in fact.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kenshin001 said:
Kind of ironic given the devs of that game said their sales were disappointing and they are moving to iOS.

Heh. Good luck to them, but publishing on iOS is arguably even more risky because although the market is indeed much bigger, so is the amount of traffic and competition for attention.

Point being, if their sales were "disappointing" given the size of the market, and relatively light competition on Vita... why should they do so much better on iOS?

DaBoss

Quite a short review but highlights:
  • Mansions have been evolved significantly
  • The intimacy of the original Luigi's Mansion remains
  • Everything has been improved from level variation to the quality of the puzzles
  • Mechanics have been evolved, with Luigi able to capture multiple ghost at once
  • While repetitive combat can sometimes grate in puzzle-centric games, Luigi's mansion gets it right
  • Not only one of the most wonderful games to grace the system, but also one of the prettiest.
  • "Next Level has found a way to return gamers to the world of Luigi's Mansion in a way that manages to retain its predecessor's wonderful charm, and not only that but it does so in a way that doesn't take the technical and mechanical aspects for granted. More perfectly than they could have hoped, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon fully executes Nintendo's original vision."
9/10 "Shows that prehistoric Mario how it's done"

Quoting Samurai_Heart from the LM2:DM OT. It's time to hype.

Tiktaalik

Looks like spending the extra time on Luigi's Mansion really paid off. I feel like this game has slowly moved from "curiosity" to "day one must get" for a lot of 3DS owners.

matmanx1

Earth Defense Force Portable an 8? I've been holding off on it due to the price but may have to rethink my stance. I might need to read that review!

Earth Defense Force Portable an 8? I've been holding off on it due to the price but may have to rethink my stance. I might need to read that review!
It does note it's too expensive for its own good though, so if we get lucky like the NA PSN they may do a temporary price drop someday =S and that's when a lot of people will jump on.

The elusive ten is reserved for games of incredible, irrefutable quality, but please be aware that a score of ten in no way professes to mean perfection.Perfection is an unattainable goal, and on a ten-point scale nothing should be unattainable. again, simple.

It is sad that this need to be explained. Perfection is also relative, so the concept of calling/judging a game as "perfect" will always be heavily contested. Same thing when talking about the perfect partner, perfect movie, perfect music so on and so forth.

redcrayon

To be fair, critics aren't required to make sure they hand out each number evenly, an average of 50 is incredibly unlikely as games scoring 1 or 2 out of ten are usually just not reviewed- that's partly why the average is so high, as, given limited editorial space in print, readers would be more interested in a review of a game by a good team that is unlikely to be a complete, total turd. That's not to say some don't slip through the net...

Still, some mags do use the whole scale more than others.

Fabrik

Banned
Fantastic score for LM2! 3+ years development time, 8 & 9s everywhere. Hype! This, HarmoKnight and Fire Emblem soon. 3DS on fire, again.

Top Bottom