• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games TM 84 Scores, etc.

Cover: Mass Effect 2

Features: ME2 Preview

An interview with BioWare's founders

Stereotyping in Gaming

Platinum Games (about Bayonetta)

How much do games mess with our heads?

Reviews:

Sims 3 - 9/10

Punch-out! - 8/10 ("what a retro revival should be")

Velvet Assassin - 4/10

Red Faction: Guerilla - 7/10 ("exciting and mundane all at once")

inFamous - 7/10 (reads more like a 5 or - at a push - 6. Shit animation, buggy, unfinished, would be better served by waiting for Prototype. The Edge 7 read in a way that made me BUY the game - attention, score Nazis - but the text in this one is extremely harsh. Overly so.)

Ghostbusters - 7/10 ("rough around the edges but highly entertaining)

Fuel - 6/10 ("engaging addition to a crowded genre")

UFC 2009 Undisputed - 8/10 (as good a starting point as can be expected)

Virtua Tennis 2009 - 6/10 (fun but too similar to the others)

Battlestations: Pacific - 7/10 (solid but unspectacular)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - 6/10 (standard game, nice battle system)

Rittai Picross - 8/10 ("dangerously addictive brain workout")

ExciteBots: Trick Racing - 8/10 ("works brilliantly")

Zeno Clash - 8/10 ("engrossing and unique")

Worms 2: Armageddon - 8/10

Fallout 3: Broken Steel - 8/10 ("better than previous DLC")

Zenith

Banned
slightly OT, but I picked up a UK 360 mag yesterday with a Modern Warfare 2 preview. In an interview one of the leads is asked about the reaction to the teaser, he replies (paraphrasing here) "On one half people loved it and went about extracting images from it, the other half which I call NeoGAF hated it because they wanted to see more gameplay, which was good because a teaser is supposed to make you want to see more."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeno Clash wins again.

suck it down Infamous fanboyz

pswii60

Having finally played the Infamous demo, I unfortunately have to agree based on what I've played so far.

Felt just so by-the-numbers. Get on train, shoot a switch, shoot/electricute some bad guys, rinse and repeat. Seemed really lame. I've no doubt the full game is more involved, but I wasn't impressed with the demo. Will definitely rent it though due to the praise it's gotten on here.

Was just expecting more from the makers of one of my fave PS2 series. Loved Sly Cooper to death.

CiSTM

Banned
Zeno Clash <3

And inFamous got what it deserved. Not a bad game at any rate but just very mundane. I hope they go back to Sly series. Or at least they should forget inFamous and try something new again.

TheOddOne

TheDrowningMan said:
inFamous - 7/10 (reads more like a 5 or - at a push - 6. Shit animation, buggy, unfinished, would be better served by waiting for Prototype. The Edge 7 read in a way that made me BUY the game - attention, score Nazis - but the text in this one is extremely harsh. Overly so.)

Harsh. But agree it feels unfinished, Sucker Punch should have polished it more.

Thrakier

TheOddOne said:
Harsh. But agree it feels unfinished, Sucker Punch should have polished it more.

Despite the aliasing and some minor bugs it's very well polished. Especially in the gameplay department. Just read the official thread to see how people do like this game.

panda21

Thrakier said:
Despite the aliasing and some minor bugs it's very well polished. Especially in the gameplay department. Just read the official thread to see how people do like this game.

yeah theres some bugs but its so fun it doesnt matter

i'd rather have something like this than an ultra polished HD game like MGS4 thats not finished..

pswii60 said:
Having finally played the Infamous demo, I unfortunately have to agree based on what I've played so far.

Felt just so by-the-numbers. Get on train, shoot a switch, shoot/electricute some bad guys, rinse and repeat. Seemed really lame. I've no doubt the full game is more involved, but I wasn't impressed with the demo. Will definitely rent it though due to the praise it's gotten on here.

Was just expecting more from the makers of one of my fave PS2 series. Loved Sly Cooper to death.

I hated the demo but am really enjoying the full game.

I think Edge's 7 is pretty much fair but Games TM's is much too harsh...if that makes any sense. :lol

vanty

panda21 said:
rittai picross is an import review right?

if its coming out here.... OOOOOOOO YEAH
Picross 3D or 3D Picross whatever they're calling it was at E3, so I'm assuming it'll be a worldwide release sometime this year.

TheDrowningMan said:
inFamous - 7/10 (reads more like a 5 or - at a push - 6. Shit animation, buggy, unfinished)

Agree with this ^.

While inFamous has its pros, it has just as many if not more cons..

Pros.

Great comic book cutscenes.
Fun exploration and platforming.
Good story.
Fun combat.
Nice lighting.

Cons.

Shitty ingame cutscenes (lifeless)
Weak upgrade system (lacks depth)
Repetitive side missions (how many times do I have to zap red lights off of a building?)
Techinically a mess (horrendous pop in, slowdown, collision problems abound)
No day/night cycle (the dev can set the mood for the story missions, and still have a day/night cycle, other open world games do this)
Little glitches (invisible walls, and sticky platforming that doesn't always work)

TheOddOne

Thrakier said:

I have it and enjoy it immensly. Its not that polished as people make it out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Infamous is very much a "I enjoy it for what it is" game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's a good bit of fun.

It's the sort of game that I think deserves a seven, and I think people should be okay with that. It's okay to have a fun, enjoyable game be scored in the seven range.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rez said:
Infamous is very much a "I enjoy it for what it is" game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's a good bit of fun.

It's the sort of game that I think deserves a seven, and I think people should be okay with that. It's okay to have a fun, enjoyable game be scored in the seven range.

pretty much.

felt like a SLY COOPER appetizer to me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Star Ocean 4 deserves much higher, too many people shat on that game b/c they didn't like a few of the 'goofy' scenes.

mujun

Thrakier said:
it's very well polished. Especially in the gameplay department.

those ppl are delusional imo.

it is pretty much a perfect example of a 7 if you ask me.

i think the combat is badly designed for a start.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheOddOne said:
I actually feel that inFamous is one of the most polished sandbox games released this gen. What exactly feels unfinished?

eXistor

inFamous didn't exactly feel unfinished. A bit rough here and there, but it was a very solid package imo, only the framerate suffered a bit. The combat in the game is terrific and never gets boring.

BeeDog

mujun said:

So you call all of the people finding the game awesome in the gameplay department "delusional"? :lol What a moronic statement.

Can't say I agree with the 7/10 scores at all, but different strokes for different folks.

jax (old)

Banned
TheDrowningMan said:

gotta say, I'm near the end of infamous and its about a 8.5. I'm sorry but it really is quite fantastic.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really need to sleep, I thought the thread was entirely about a pokemon's TM 84 move.

mujun

BeeDog said:
So you call all of the people finding the game awesome in the gameplay department "delusional"? :lol What a moronic statement.

Can't say I agree with the 7/10 scores at all, but different strokes for different folks.

really?

where did i say that, please quote it if you wouldnt mind.

i do remember saying that imo ppl who think its polished are delusional though.

im enjoying it, relatively speaking. not loving but certainly enjoying.

mujun said:
really?

where did i say that, please quote it if you wouldnt mind.

i do remember saying that imo ppl who think its polished are delusional though.

im enjoying it, relatively speaking. not loving but certainly enjoying.

Thrakier said:
it's very well polished. Especially in the gameplay department.

He was close enough.

Lince

Banned
inFamous unpolished? lol I guess Sucker Punch went for close-up detail and texturing and had to sacrifice LOD/pop-in to achieve that (less than 512 MB guys) apart from that the game feels and plays like a dream... and unfinished? sorry but no, hero/evil runs, perfect pacing, length, cut-scenes, gameplay twists and turns, bosses, side quests, satisfying combat... to put it short, you can lick my balls Games TM.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
I actually feel that inFamous is one of the most polished sandbox games released this gen. What exactly feels unfinished?
Generally I've had very little to complain about technically with Infamous, with the exception of some minor frame-rate hitches which I'm more than willing to over look. There has been one or two weird instances where the game has apparently frozen up on people (not yet happened to me), and there has been the odd random falling through a floor (which only happened once when an explosion triggered by one of my shockwaves and a grenade sent me flying into another explosion which sent me flying through the water into a the void :lol ).

So yeah, calling the game unfinished is absurd. I'm actually really happy with what Sucker Punch pulled off with the engine.

Double D

It's hard for me to understand the people saying infamous feels unfinished. I'll agree with some of the graphical complaints, even though at times I think it looks great, but the gameplay and story is fantastic.

I play a lot of games that I say I'll replay and never get around to it. I started my second playthrough of infamous immediately after finishing it. Best PS3 exclusive, in my opinion.

EktorPR

Lince said:
inFamous unpolished? lol I guess Sucker Punch went for close-up detail and texturing and had to sacrifice LOD/pop-in to achieve that (less than 512 MB guys) apart from that the game feels and plays like a dream... and unfinished? sorry but no, hero/evil runs, perfect pacing, length, cut-scenes, gameplay twists and turns, bosses, side quests, satisfying combat... to put it short, you can lick my balls Games TM.

This a thousand times. inFAMOUS is, easily, the best game that has been released so far this year.

Lince said:
No, stop being a douche and wanting magazines to validate your opinion. They didn't like it as much as you did, who cares?

Lince

Banned
Foxtastical said:
No, stop being a douche and wanting magazines to validate your opinion. They didn't like it as much as you did, who cares?

they're just lying with the unfinished comment, a very poor trolling attempt if you like but bullshit anyway, and don't call me things like "douche" ok?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Rez said:

I totally agree. Good solid fun. These brit mags seem to have the perspective about it.

mujun

Foxtastical said:
He was close enough.

saying someone is delusional for thinking its polished is very different than saying someone is delusional for thinking its fun or enjoyable.

technically:
-the frame rate is sketchy despite being an average looking game
-there is an amazing amount of pop up/pop in
-i occasionally see cars and ppl disappear from in front of my eyes
-i have been shot at, flown straight through a wall and then fallen through the ground into infinity
-i have walked straight through solid objects four or five times

design wise:
-the climbing is messed up. most of the time you can climb on pretty much anything but then they make it look like you can but you cant in several places like the jail and the massive tower on the second island. i died a bunch of times jumping to places i thought i should have been able to go but couldnt because they changed the rules.
-the combat. even on easy with damage resistance fully powered up i often get slaughtered by turrets and the like.
-i never feel really bad ass because it takes too many shots with the standard fire and my megawatt is completely negated by even the slightest bit of cover between me and the enemy. this is a super hero game and out in the open i can wreak havoc but those kind of fights are few and far between because the enemy in most cases has some sort of cover.
-why do i have to use two buttons to fire my standard shot. i rotate too slowly when holding L1 but have to hold it to fire. i wish there was a reticule on screen without having to hold a button (this is possibly subjective though).
-side missions are repetitive and have very little meat.

so like i said im enjoying it but think its far from polished. i wouldnt go as far as to say its a glitchy mess (like sacred 2, which i am also enjoying) but saying its polished strikes me as crazy.

sure altogether andrews, sorry to attack your beloved playstation brand mate!

Top Bottom