• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games UK: PS3 digital content to carry over to PS4 [Sony: Nope]

HariKari

An only retail store (to my knowledge) excited for digital transfers? That doesn't sound legit

Well this would move a lot of hardware if true. And if they had no plan to port games like TLOU, this is the best a retailer is going to get. The GAME dude made it sound like it was privileged info that was presented to retailers today straight from Sony.

Dude is back tweeting now but has ceased commenting on the PS3/PS4 digital fiasco.

I swear twitter is like a game of telephone. Give this two more days and the message will change to "Sony promises pink elephants will deliver your PS4 to you"

Just texted a mate who works in GAME and he says he has no clue wtf this guy is talking about.

So unless this 'bombshell' was reserved for Basildon GAME staff only and not other UK branches it's probably safe to say this guy has either majorly misunderstood something he was told or is trolling.

shandy706

Using the words ALL and DIGITAL CONTENT!

That's a freaking tall order. Huge if true.

Hope for the tweeter's sake that's accurate. (The backlash if not should be fun...maybe...prob not)

S¡mon

Banned
Not sure if posted, didn't read entire thread:

j4DPsyB.png

Still have my doubts, but sounds promising.

Z3M0G

If anything, this will be:

PS1 / PS2 games via emulation.
Products and services associated with an account
Video purchased through store
Mini's.

The first of which being the least unlikely.
Ps3 games will never work. Ever.

PS4 playing PS2 games would be MY dream come true... even though I picked up a second-hand PS2 just a couple weeks ago. It would go in a box for safe keeping.

Hobohodo

I assume this is from the 'Playstation Training' that the reps are going around and doing doing at the moment. I was at one earlier in the week and the rep there just mentioned Gaikai, summarised the stuff that we all knew since the February Playstation Meeting (though they did say the ENTIRE PS1, 2 and 3 catalogue would be available) but said UK wouldn't be seeing till next year providing our internet has actually improved, as they don't wanna launch Gaikai and have everyone think its awful when it's all down to bad internet and not the service itself. So yeah I guess that is what they mean.

Cornbread78

This yes. But why not disc-based aswell? Authentication through disc is pretty easy.

Money, plain and simple. They came up with a general solution with the next gen upgrades for BF4 and Ghosts, however, you can go get a lot of games for bargain bin prices on disk then use it once to authenticate, then pass the disk on if they do not require the disk to be present each time.

Don't stop believing, guys! When have random unofficial Twitter accounts with information directly contradicting common sense and official announcements ever lead anyone astray??

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah, so they needed some announcement to alevieate dissapointment over driveclub, but didnt go with this...

If this is true and they announced it now, the demand for the PS4 would go through the roof and sales of PS3 this Christmas would crash because of people waiting to buy a PS4. There is definitely a reason for NOT announcing it officially. I'm still thinking it's Gaikai though. Log onto PSN. Go to game you bought. Hit a tab that says 'play'. And it redirects you to the Gaikai servers where you play the game.

Into

I don't understand how this would work.

Maybe if you have made a purchase for a PS3 game on your PS3, its tied to your account

So when you hook your PS4 up and sign in with your account, you will be able to download the game, and that download will somehow be able to communicate with Gaikai in 2014 to basically say "yo, i own this game, let me play". The actual gigs of game you downloaded is only there for authentication since the PS4 cannot play PS3 games through HW, but has to stream it.

At least that is what ive always thought they were going for?

foxbeldin

Money, plain and simple. They came up with a general solution with the next gen upgrades for BF4 and Ghosts, however, you can go get a lot of games for bargain bin prices on disk then use it once to authenticate, then pass the disk on if they do not require the disk to be present each time.

Well simply ask for the disc every time you want to play

That would be pretty disgusting if we can play digital PS3 games on it at launch. That would mean that they are literally intentionally locking us out of our ability to play disks.

I don't believe it.

LiK

S¡mon;86523367 said:
Not sure if posted, didn't read entire thread:

j4DPsyB.png

Still have my doubts, but sounds promising.

Huh? What? And why would they be announcing all this before Sony? Can't be true.

shandy706

Is it possible this guy is leaving something out by accident or on purpose?

You could easily say this....but leave out "with Gaikai".

Perhaps Sony has decided to stream PS1/PS2/PS3/Minis data through the service and any Playstation stuff you bought from the store is available to you when Gaikai launches.

S¡mon

Banned
Has to be talking about Gaikai, otherwise there's no reason disc games wouldn't work too.

Wait a minute... now it's getting clear. He mentioned TLOU. He's talking about streaming.

TLOU obviously standing for 'The Latest and Overjoying Update'. Streaming. Surprise. Update. Latest Update.

Gaikai coming at launch confirmed, as a surprise.

Who cares? I can download my PS3 games onto a system that can't play PS3 games. Unless this includes backwards compatibility for playing games, what's the point?

Would be HUGE if true but really do not think it is. Would be awesome though if Sony announced this being the first step w/ Gaikai.

Regardless I don't think the tweet said anything about it being available at launch. So it's possible that this is true, but not for some time.

Edit: They say this actually in one of the tweets. Aim to be implemented in 2014 not available at launch.

Lily

This would be the biggest megaton of all so far, but i doubt it is true. GAME misunderstanding as usual.

johnny956

it's a sales rep....I assume he heard digital content transfers over and assumed video games when clearly sony was telling them movies, tv shows, and music would be able to transfer over.

Sony would have been advertising this day one

Daffy Duck

I think they've totally misunderstood everything about the upgrade program and decided this means all content will transfer.

content such as films, TV films etc, and then content from CoD Ghosts/BF transfers over too.

Just like the content for those games transfers on the Xbox One.

wait even games that don't have crossbuy or does this just mean that if a game that gets ported to the PS4 like flower, if you own the PS3 version you'd already get that title (like what the stated yesterday)

Feorax

it's a sales rep....I assume he heard digital content transfers over and assumed video games when clearly sony was telling them movies, tv shows, and music would be able to transfer over.

Sony would have been advertising this day one

He's claiming that the example used for the digital content was GTA V. So either he's outright lying, the Sony rep is misinformed, or this is actually happening.

Number 2 seems most likely.

Spencaroo

Neo Member
Seem way too good to be true! I live right near the store sending these tweets...almost tempted to go down there and ask around!!

sublimit

Banned
This statement raises much more questions than it answers.I'll wait for more official details before i get excited over nothing.

Top Bottom