• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with genuinely great writing (SPOILERS WARNING)

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Mass Effect (except for the ending), Borderlands 1-3, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and RDR2 off the top of my head.

sephiroth7x

Kudos in the early pages for Discworld Noir. That games writing was pretty incredible.

I checked the first page but found a true abundance of love for Broken Sword and the entire series.

The writing, not just the dialogue but the internal monologue of George is some of the best writing in gaming. Not to mention it is as sharp as a knife at times.

Collin

Banned
The Last of Us and Red Dead 2 are obvious choices. Very few games genuinely rival the top-tier bracket of movies and tv, but those 2 certainly do.

I love the Metal Gear Solid series to death and I love it’s story, but I genuinely think that Kojima is a bad writer. He’s clearly extremely smart and I love his unique creativity for characters and situations but his moment-to-moment dialogue is often pretty weak. (This is partially due to the language barrier). Like for as smart as the ending of MGS2 is, it’s written as a huge clunky exposition dump that drags on for what feels like an hour. There are many scenes like that throughout the series and it would get mercilessly mocked in the film industry.

But as the video game industry continues, I think this will all improve.

vkbest

I don’t know if you can consider great writing, but I’m playing a indie game on PC (two weeks in painland) and I can’t stop to laugh. It’s a visual novel with hacker, mafia, and funny comedy (At least on Spanish that is the version I’m playing)

Other game I’m playing now with great writing for me is Pillars of eternity 2 (PS4 version)

Ballthyrm

• Bioshock 1
  • Alan Wake 1
  • The Longest Journey
  • Disco Elysium
  • Planescape Torment
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Eliza

in no order.
Vagrat story
Xenogears