• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with incomplete plots

Castef

Banned
I'm thinking Half Life, for instance.

Which other games/sagas remained without a proper ending?

For instance, if I remember well the Legacy of Kain saga never had a proper ending, right?

Of course, I'm not referring to games part of an ongoing series (like Halo).

plushyp

Advent Rising and Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy both just ended without a resolution to the plot. Just a "to be continued"...

Advent Rising and Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy both just ended without a resolution to the plot. Just a "to be continued"...

Came for this as it was the first game to pop up in my mind....

Too bad Midway went out of business(?) or something and didn't continue...

the darkness 2 ended with Jenny being saved from the Darkness, but somehow turns into the Angelus and traps Jackie while she escapes

Graven

Prince of Persia 2008. Although, it appears that the Prince of Persia DS is a follow up game that expands the story even further, still, i very much would like to see a true sequel.

Fbh

Dantes Inferno.
I mean, yeah it's based on the divine comedy so you can guess where it was going but I would have still liked to see a continuation of this particular adaptation

I want to say FF15.
I think there was a history in it, but i dont remember anymore.
Well they keep adding new cutscenes every now and then and said the game would continue to be updated for some time.

So who knows. In 5 years we might get the Super Royal Completest edition which finally gives it a compelling story

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Metal Gear Solid V
kSxXKAe.gif

TheSweeper

Mass Effect Andromeda. It's a damn shame that they killed the game without giving us the Quarian ark storyline.

I know, the upcoming novel is supposed to deal with the Quarians but it's not the same.

KevinKeene

Banned
Winner. Really enjoyed the game but damn that plot let it down.

I actually loved the plot, but ... it was a prologue. The entire game's story ended where thr prologue ended and where the main story would have begun. But no :/

Imagine Alttp ending when the pyramid opens after finishing the first 3 dungeons and you realize 'hoo boy, 5 more dungeons? And they're each bigger than any of the ones so far? Hype!'. That's Xenoblade Chronicles X. The term blue balls was invented for this game.

Toe-Knee

This but we have hope now! And Half Life from the OP are the big ones for me.

I know I have been waiting so long and it's almost time (if it comes out this year) but even if we have to wait another year is nothing compared to how long we've already waited.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I actually loved the plot, but ... it was a prologue. The entire game's story ended where thr prologue ended and where the main story would have begun. But no :/

Imagine Alttp ending when the pyramid opens after finishing the first 3 dungeons and you realize 'hoo boy, 5 more dungeons? And they're each bigger than any of the ones so far? Hype!'. That's Xenoblade Chronicles X. The term blue balls was invented for this game.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree that it was a prologue. It just felt like the game was cut off prematurely and the ending should have been the mid-point. A big issue I had running through the story in the game is that story progression just felt like a task and at times chore in the way it was structured. The game was so designed with so much focus on achieving that MMO feel that the story elements felt like they were just dumped in there like missions which you had to initiate like any other. It didn't really gel.

I should however point out that I still consider the game to be excellent. Its open-world is phenomenal and was genuinely intimidating to adventure out into because of how vast and dangerous it was. I actually regard the overworld as being the best in the series. battle mechanics were good too and there was a LOT to get lost in. It's a great game but there are just so many loose ends and the story is just not complete enough to do the rest of the game justice. From the side-quests to the main story the term "blue-balls" is about the most fitting way of describing the plot.

I'd love a sequel though. I need me some release.

Pantz

Gold Member
The Cursed Crusade (360, PS3)
There's like a 20 minute ending where they're setting up the 2nd half of the story to take place in Egypt. Uh, NOPE. Sitting at a 39 on Metacritic I knew it wasn't going to get a sequel.
I personally enjoyed the game in a Dreamcast quality sort of way. It had some sick execution moves if I remember correctly.

lvl8

I'm not sure if this counts, the PSP port of Popolocrois. The port is actually a series of 3 separate PSOne games. Because of these several mini quests and plot has to be dropped to fit one game.

Jezan

Xenoblade X.

It's way more interesting than Xeno2 and I liked the setting better than non X ones. But damn it ended in the fucking best part, I need X2 asap!

(Please stay away from the anime cliches and ditch Lina dn Tatsu, everyone else is great but those two are the only complains)

Smasher89

Golden Sun, Xenoblade X Pokemon(joke because some of the stuff could technicly tie the series together, even though XBX needs Xenoblade 3-9 and 11)

Wulfram

Mass Effect Andromeda. It's a damn shame that they killed the game without giving us the Quarian ark storyline.

I know, the upcoming novel is supposed to deal with the Quarians but it's not the same.

The Quarian ark isn't really part of the MEA plot, which is pretty much resolved

I really do need to finish Psi Ops TMC one day as it was such a fantastic game. I'd love it if it was added to the OG Xbox backwards compatibility list on the Xbone.

SoulUnison

Banned
The Episodes add such a remarkable amount to the base FF15 experience that it's legitimately depressing to think of players who played the game Day 1 and never revisited it.

Episode Ignis in particular re-contextualizes so many minor interactions in the base game that it literally brings a tear to my eye at how tragic the tale is.

ghairat

I want to say Metal Gear Solid 5 but when I look back at Final Fantasy XV, I have to say Final fantasy. I have been following the development since 2006 and when you compare how it looks like now versus how Nomura wanted it, it's just sad.... Don't get me wrong its an amazing action RPG game but with a subpar story.

Codes 208

CoD Ghosts and Advanced warfare come to mind.

And i have a suspicion that we wont see the conclusion of infinite warfare either

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Honestly I didn't know MGS V was an incomplete game until I saw the documentary about how the last part left out by Kojima due to budget & time constraint.

Silvawuff

Xenogears wasn't even close to finished -- it was one part of many! Maybe as just a segment of that story it wrapped things up, but the whole shebang was on a completely different level.

I like how you compare it to Evangelion. I think NGE is a really great source material to pull a sci fi epic out of a the proverbial story-telling hat.

TheSweeper

The Quarian ark isn't really part of the MEA plot, which is pretty much resolved

The MEA Plot being resolved may be true as far as the main threat is concerned. But there is still one ark unaccounted for. And no one knows who pulled the strings behind the curtains in the Andromeda Initiative. For me that's too many open questions to consider this a complete game.

Maybe I'm just salty since I love the Mass Effect games...

Top Bottom