• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with incomplete plots

MC Safety

I can't even tell you if KOTOR 2's plot was complete. It was a mess upon release, and it was a mess with extra scenes after the fans "fixed" it.

Something about a wound in the Force, and then you're fighting six lightsabers.

Assassin's Creed: Origins is a bunch of story elements duct taped together. The final third is especially bad, feels like it's ending any minute now but it just goes on and on and on and on...

Also what the hell happened to Crysis? The ending was a Halo 2 cliffhanger and the sequels went into a very different direction. The original plot is barely acknowledged and they killed the main dude in a fucking comic.

Castef

Banned
Mmmmh... could you put me under spoiler why MGS5's plot is incomplete?

I disliked the saga and did not play MGS 4 and 5.

NovumAngel

Banned
Assassin's Creed: Origins is a bunch of story elements duct taped together. The final third is especially bad, feels like it's ending any minute now but it just goes on and on and on and on...
You not liking the story doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not it's incomplete. The story might have been a mess in places but it serves it's purpose and gives us a definitive ending for what it set out to tell.

royox

I can't even tell you if KOTOR 2's plot was complete. It was a mess upon release, and it was a mess with extra scenes after the fans "fixed" it.

Something about a wound in the Force, and then you're fighting six lightsabers.

It's complete now with all the fixes. The game still ends with a cliffhanger but now you understand what's going on and the cliffhanger was solved in Revan's book and SWTOR on the Jedi Knight storyline. You should replay it, if you only played vanilla you will find it's almost a new game the whole 2nd half of the game.

MC Safety

It's complete now with all the fixes. The game still ends with a cliffhanger but now you understand what's going on and the cliffhanger was solved in Revan's book and SWTOR on the Jedi Knight storyline. You should replay it, if you only played vanilla you will find it's almost a new game the whole 2nd half of the game.

I finished the reworked version a while ago and still found it sort of slapdash. It's entirely possible I missed something.

royox

I finished the reworked version a while ago and still found it sort of slapdash. It's entirely possible I missed something.

The last version I played closed every plot of the game (main problem of vanilla) and made the whole thing have sense. The last thing Kreia tells you before the game's end is about what will happen now as a cliffhanger, maybe you didn't play it with the 100% mod? It's on steam :)

MC Safety

The last version I played closed every plot of the game (main problem of vanilla) and made the whole thing have sense. The last thing Kreia tells you before the game's end is about what will happen now as a cliffhanger, maybe you didn't play it with the 100% mod? It's on steam :)

I definitely played the reworked version. It had the robot planet/factory and the surprise death at the end.

Your post reminded of me of possibly the worst bit about KOTOR 2. The scene where you get to ask Kreia, "What about X?" repeatedly and she rattles off the fates of your cohorts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Damn, really? Was about to play this one. But why should I even bother? : ( I play mostly for the narrative, and not for the gameplay.
Mankind Divided is still very much worth playing. While it does kind of end, I've played through it several times and I do feel that it reaches a conclusion, but it leaves a lot of plot threads dangling.

cadmaelael

Neo Member
if you like playing game, I suggest you can try to play a game called sword art h5 at InstantFuns site! I think you will like playing it if you try to play it!

Halo-5-920x518.jpg

I'd have to go with Halo 5, there's a BIG gap of events from the end of Halo 4 to 5, like we missed out on an entire game or set of stories that would bridge this gap. The actual story of Halo 5 makes sense within the context of the lore and overall universe, but the events leading up to Halo 5 and how things got to where they are does not. When and how did John get back in touch with Blue Team? How was Osiris formed? When did Buck become a Spartan? How and why did John think Cortana was still alive and decide to pursue her? Tanaka was one of the last people to see John in Halo 4 when his armor was being pulled off yet she's part of Osiris searching for him?

There's so man unanswered questions and holes in the story that are just not fleshed out, it's like there was a year of events that took place between 4 and 5 that we were just not privy to and then you jump in expecting to know exactly why all of this is happening. I never had a problem with what is happening, it's just the underlying why that does not exist.

glasiche

Neo Member
I’m gonna have to say harvest moon 64.

So you finally finish that last expansion to your cabin and have the 2nd kid. What happened to Karen after she ran off because you had a family with Popori? How will the harvest sprites manage now that you’ve eaten all the power berries? The very fruit that sustains the life of the goddess and themselves?? Wth was the deal with the Kappa - how long had he been living in that pond and why was he never invited to any of the festivals? How did that affect the upcoming years’ harvests?

So many questions natsume never answered!

RAGE from ID...the game just ended...right when it was getting good.
Yeah, I liked RAGE, too. The ending came out of nowhere. It was like they ran out of money, or something.

It sucked a little extra for me, as I had just picked up the most powerful gun in the game and was saving it for the final boss. The game ended abruptly and I didn't even manage to fire the thing.

Pejo

I wish we could have gotten a proper, fully developed Final Fantasy XV. The pieces we got were ok, but felt so disconnected and random. It got a little better if you had the whole kit 'n kaboodle, but you needed to watch Kingsglaive, the anime, and a bunch of other stuff to really get proper backstory and have some of the gaps filled. Not to mention how Altissia got gutted and the whole second continent being a train ride. Then you have characters that go nowhere or come from nowhere (Luna, Aranea, that whole Jared meme), it's really a shame.

I enjoyed XV, but I still can't help but think how much better it could have been if "complete".

Xenosaga. A hot mess of a trilogy. It's a damn shame, because they actually nailed it with the third game, but because the first two were such scrappy, inconsistent affairs, there just wasn't much of an audience left by the time we got to the third game. Namco saw the diminishing returns and cancelled the series, effectively giving the team one game to wrap it all up. The ending is fairly open and concludes many characters arcs, but leaves the main story thread dangling in the air, never to be resolved.

Snakey125

Also what the hell happened to Crysis? The ending was a Halo 2 cliffhanger and the sequels went into a very different direction. The original plot is barely acknowledged and they killed the main dude in a fucking comic.
They changed that in Crysis 3.

But honestly, It felt like they had no idea what to do with the story of Crysis after the first one.

magikarp7

While the production values may have dropped off a cliff, it did finish it's plot.

Say what you want, but Xenogears was pretty faithful to it's source material:

826281-shinji_ikari_1024x768_2.jpg
It really is a shame that square didnt give them enough resources. I enjoy these games more than most mainline ffs.

Top Bottom