• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the most cringe dialogue

Kataploom

Gold Member
Anything that isnt Lymle from Star Ocean 4 is wrong.
Note; The original release didnt even let you change the language to Japanese, so you had to suffer the braindead English prbably overly literal localization.

star-ocean-4-us-boxart.jpg

Timestamped for 2:47

If anyone honestly has worse than this please post it.
I want to see just how low this medium we all love has actually gone.

Well, I gotta admit that, in english, many japanese conversations look too weird by the way they speak each other and some stuff like excess of shyness which won't translate well to english lol not just that but at least one of the reasons I don't consume japanese content if english voiced only, in latinamerican spanish dub I don't feel the same almost never.

So yeah, OT: Any anime game/show/movie/whatever with english voice... It's just too much to me...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Anything that isnt Lymle from Star Ocean 4 is wrong.
Note; The original release didnt even let you change the language to Japanese, so you had to suffer the braindead English prbably overly literal localization.

star-ocean-4-us-boxart.jpg

Timestamped for 2:47

If anyone honestly has worse than this please post it.
I want to see just how low this medium we all love has actually gone.

Only thing worse than Lymle is Charlotte from Trials of Mana Remake.

She pronounces all her Rs like Ws and it makes her sound like she’s mocking a person with Down syndrome.

Will try to find some videos after work today.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry, Mickey Rourke's Rogue Warrior rap is still one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a game.

Especially as its such an obvious fuck you to Bethesda!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only thing worse than Lymle is Charlotte from Trials of Mana Remake.

She pronounces all her Rs like Ws and it makes her sound like she’s mocking a person with Down syndrome.

Will try to find some videos after work today.
NO!

Lymle is the devil, perpetually.
Every cutscene prepare for death.

Charlotte is slightly annoying at her worst.

Last edited:

Stafford

Star Ocean The Last Hope in English, especially the character Lyml. Good lord!!!!

Infinite Undiscovery had some real bad shit too.

Ah I see now that both have been me tinned, haha.

Last edited:
No, no, no. Games that are "so bad it's good" can't be cringe.
RE, House of the Dead - you name it. They are GREAT!
Tekken is such a game for me. These over the top cheesy one liners right before and after a fight are so bad that I kind of love it. But I don’t know if the devs do it on purpose or really think, that the characters are cool :D

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

I've got to nominate the uncharted series, and specifically dialog during gameplay. I've never played a game series where the characters have to comment about something every 5 seconds like that before. I thought it was extremely annoying.
And when trying to fill every gameplay moment with dialog, quite a lot of it can get really bad.

Any game that's supposed to be funny usually ends up being more cringe-inducing than funny. Borderlands comes to me. Pure reddit-tier heckin douchenozzle style shit makes me skin crawl

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Is this a thread about DmC Devil May Cry?
The dialogue in that reboot is something that everyone involved in that project should be ashamed of

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
didn't think it was all that bad in spider-man, but couldn't get past the first hour of miles morales because of this...
if theres one thing in these games that bug me it's the terrible dialogue. Spiderman's ok but can definitely make my face recede at times

miles morales is fucking terrible though, the dialogue is never not cringeworthy

KXVXII9X

This scene is forever burnt in my memory. I couldn't stop laughing when I played through it lol. It was so over the top ridiculous, but I love it xD

intbal

OP got this one right.
I watched a few gameplay videos of Unbound. It's the worst.
I wouldn't play it unless you could mute the character voices for the entire game while keeping the other audio.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Dude deserves some kind of lifetime achievement award. He can write stories that are so needlessly convoluted you need to watch hours of analysis on YouTube just to make sense of them, while simultaneously being so cringe and infantile they make Mighty Morphin Power Rangers look like Citizen Kane in comparison.
Yes, these are called bad stories. He is a terrible writer.

I haven't gotten far in Soul Hackers 2 yet, but wow some of the characters in the game are horrible, and the rapping is so cringe worthy.

Chronicle

Anything where two are having a conversation while in combat. Fucking horrible. Spiderman 2 the movie. Same for games.

spons

Gold Member
The last game I've played with truly great dialogue was The Witcher 3 because it didn't treat me like a 14 year-old, a total idiot, or a combination of the two.
Almost all big budget games do because of appeal to the mass market. Same reason why Marvel movies are so godawful in every aspect.

Top Bottom