• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with unique language

Patrick S.

Banned
619898-outcastjewelcase.jpg

CorvoSol

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/215647-An-Introduction-to-Dragonspeak

I know this topic primarily deals with /written/ languages, but here's a brief low-down on Dravanian Dragonspeak in FFXIV. I don't think we've ever encountered a written example of it in game, but as Dragons are a major factor in Eorzea, players have heard them speak repeatedly.

So the link above is a member of the dev team talking about the reasoning that went into the creation of that language for the game.

Gravity Rush and all of its voiced cutscenes are in a fictional language which sounds like some weird cross between French and Japanese.

Nier - Some of the game's music was sung in a fictional language (taken from English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and French). Then there's the city of Façade, which is the devs messing up/jumbling together random hiragana.

KJRS_1993

Maybe not quite what you're after, but Dungeon Master had a unique spell system that meant you had to combine different symbols that each meant a different word to form a spell. I was about seven or eight and I had to draw the pictures on a piece of paper at the time.

glyphs.GIF

Tough times, before the Internet.

Sioul

I believe Guild Wars 2 languages can actually be translated in a similar manner.

GW2 main language is New Krytan

Normal
original.jpg

Stylized
Stylized_New_Krytan.png

basically uses english words and you can find a lot of things to translate. For example, during one elections in Lion's Arch (main hub city) there were a lot of propaganda in the city:

maxresdefault.jpg

"Vote for Evon"

And every new content adds something to translate. This is a Skritt board (the skritt are a race of rats that likes shiny things):

There are others languanges like Asura, Ascalonian runes, Canthan ideograms, etc.

rrvv

The complexities of Ar Tonelico's Hymmnos are staggering to me.

hymalph1.gif

udhr_hymmnos.gif

Ar Tonelico /surge concerto win out here by miles.

the song magic (programming/scripting) languages:

Emotional_Song_Pact (construction is like hangul)

http://artonelico.wikia.com/wiki/Emotional_Song_Pact

hymne (written as simple mono alphabetic cypher)

REON-4213 (written like the C programming language)

some example REON-4213

Code:
QuelI->{

Cls(ethes f ds-b ciol) {

EX[zep]->{ciol f koh};

} am {

EX[purr]->{ciol f koh fa}

&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;<-{wi-b hymel} am {dite f dit ciol};

&#12288;&#12288;}

}->ExeC->{TzW};
That is spoken (well sung) language in game.

This. Gust literally create brand new language from scratch. Simply because they want to create a language that can be used to create awesome music that can be appreciated by everyone without them understanding the meaning

alvis.exe

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn have the Ancient Language with characters who speak using it almost exclusively.

Though pronunciation-wise it's just Japanese played backwards IIRC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The Sims is the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Zelda Twilight Princess's Hylian alphabet is perfectly readable in western languages because it's based on the latin alphabet. This may be known better nowadays as you can actually unlock Miiverse stamps for the entire alphabet in Zelda TP HD.
I am actually on a quest of deciphering every sign, cloth and piece of paper where there is something to read (and found out some interesting and funny things while doing so).

For example, this one here:
means "Hylia HL Fyre and Felbi's Land of Fantastication. Free Admission. Cash required for each ride."
But the texture is mirrored in the middle (the right half is readable, the left half is mirrored). It's also exactly what the textbox tells you when you read it in-game. One of some very rare instances where it is actually says what it means and is in perfect English.

There is also a crazy amount of hilarious Engrish hidden in the game that rivals SNK's infamous knowledge of the language:
This one says "The approach to a spring of forest". Instead of, you know, something like "Now approaching the forest's spring" or something.

Also Bayonetta's Witch Script is perfectly readable. Every letter stands for a letter in our alphabet, again. I think the Angel Script works that way too, but I'm not sure.

Shifty

Arx Fatalis.

The game Arkane made before Dishonored:
magicgb1_0.jpg

Its magic system used runes; you'd draw glyphs on the screen to incant spells using their names.

Arx_Fatalis_rune_Aam.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Cetrius.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Comunicatum.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Cosum.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Folgora.png

Aam/Create, Cetrius/Poison, Comunicatum/Communication, Cosum/Object, Folgora/Storm

Arx_Fatalis_rune_Fridd.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Kaom.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Mega.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Morte.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Movis.png

Fridd/Freeze, Kaom/Protection, Mega/Improve, Morte/Death, Movis/Movement

Arx_Fatalis_rune_Nhi.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Rhaa.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Spacium.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Stregum.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Taar.png

Nhi/Negate, Rhaa/Weakening, Spacium/Space, Stregum/Magic, Taar/Missile

Arx_Fatalis_rune_Tempus.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Tera.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Vista.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Vitae.png
Arx_Fatalis_rune_Yok.png

Tempus/Time, Tera/Earth, Vista/Vision, Vitae/Life, Yok/Fire

So for instance, Aam Yok Taar (Fire Magic Missile) would activate a fireball spell, Mega Vitae (Improve Life) would heal you, Mega Spacium Movis (Improve Space Movement) would make you levitate, etc.
There were tons of different spells, enough to suit any playstyle, and you could stock up to 5 of them at once for later usage.

I consider it the GOAT mage'em'up for these reasons.

ayrix

Neo Member
But the texture is mirrored in the middle (the right half is readable, the left half is mirrored). It's also exactly what the textbox tells you when you read it in-game. One of some very rare instances where it is actually says what it means and is in perfect English.
You forget twilight princess' original Wii/Gamecube releases being mirror images of each other (to account for the Wii version having Link be right handed)

Shiness

Neo Member
Hello everyone!

We are an independent studio who created an action-RPG funded on Kickstarter, Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom. We were really interested by your topic since we created our own language in the game, the Maherian.

Some games like Shadow of the Colossus really inspired us. Using constructed languages is really immersive for the players. The Tolkien’s elven language is also a model for many video games linguists since it adds an heroïc-fantasy dimension to the games.

In our game all the dubbings are made with our own language. If you want to hear what it sounds like check out this trailer.

Shiness - Gamescom 2015 Trailer

Three dialects have been developed, that’s one per race (Waki, Shelk and Human). For each of these dialects we emphasized a consonance:

- Waki dialect: Japanese
- Shelk dialect: African
- Human dialect: French

That’s why, when you are listening the voices in the trailer video, some of you may recognize a “French accent”, some others will recognize the “Japanese rhythm”.
If you prefer the written language we created our own alphabet, grammar and vocabulary. We are even editing a dictionary!

890940alphabet.jpg

To go even more deeper, we also created a numeral system based on 10 numbers. We associated every number to an element.

569891chiffres.jpg

If you want to know more about the Maherian feel free to ask, and if you have more generals questions you can check out our Facebook, Twitter and Kickstarter page.

13randO

The Sims is the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread.

I'm surprised it took the second page of this thread to mention this.

Also, while already being mentioned, Gravity Rush's final song is sung in it's own language (which is apparently French based); such a fantastic song.

Top Bottom