• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you love that "aged well". Games you love that did not.

Games that age well can be several criterias:
  • Graphic - does the visual still hold up today
  • Audio - themes song and music become timeless
  • Gameplay - have the button inputs become harder over the years or surprisingly simple or smooth to replay?
+ Audio
+ Graphic
+ Gamplay

-Audio
- Graphic
- Gameplay

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
One I tried to play again recently that did NOT age well is Sin. That game was super fun back in the day... well, after the patches, because it was kinda broken at launch. But yeah. The shooting mechanics in that game are abysmal. Guns have no impact, the visual feedback from shooting enemies is nonexistent, and even the lowliest of goons is a bullet sponge. Not fun at all.

Out of morbid curiosity, I gave Unreal 1 a shot, too, and that one has aged much more gracefully. The mechanics still feel good. Yeah, there's a lack of visual feedback when you shoot dudes, but there's still enough feedback that it's still a satisfying game to play.

ESPOMAN

I feel like the first Ratchet and Clank aged pretty well. The graphics still look halfway decent and while there is no strafing the game still plays really well, at least to me. Games that didn't I guess would be a lot of older sports games I played expect for NFL 2k5 and NBA 2k11. I feel like the first Uncharted too maybe. When I went back to play the PS3 version the motion blur was pretty bad and I don't know it just felt weird as to what I remembered it. I never played the Ps4 remaster of it.

brian0057

Banned
Aged like fine wine:

latest
Legacy-Of-Kain-Soul-Reaver-1_PSX_US.jpg
systemshock2.jpg
Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker_Cube_US_ESRB.jpg

(Masterpieces in every sense of the word.)

Aged like sour milk:

splinter-cell-pc-cover-cover-150003327[1].jpg
system-shock-1.jpg
16801_front.jpg
TwilightPrincessRatingTFinalBox.jpg

Splinter Cell:
  • Gameplay; 2/5
  • Graphics: 4/5
  • Story: 3/5
  • Controls: 3/5
System Shock:
  • Gameplay; 4/5.
  • Graphics: 3/5.
  • Story: 4/5.
  • Controls: 2/5.
Rainbow Six 3:
  • Gameplay: 3/5.
  • Graphics: 2/5.
  • Story: 3/5.
  • Controls: 1/5.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
  • Gameplay: 4/5.
  • Graphics: 2/5.
  • Story: 4/5.
  • Controls: 3/5.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Aged well: I'll second what KàIRóS KàIRóS said, a lot of 2D RPGs, going all the way back to the 16-bit days for me. Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, even Zelda: A Link to the Past if using a loose definition of the genre - all games that I find almost as appealing today as they were about 25 years ago.

Didn't age well: PS2 Grand Theft Auto games, even though they're some of my all time favorites. I can deal with the outdated graphics and audio quality, but the controls make it difficult for me to ever return to them. I'd probably add Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, two more in my all time favorites list, since they leave me wondering "How did we ever tolerate these frame rates?"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Garou aged excellently
A lot of the old capcom and SNK games
SNES games
The original Doom games including 3

Aged poorly hmm I can’t think right now as I haven’t dipped back into a lot of older games

But a lot of the early 3D games would have aged badly from a graphics perspective. If they had good gameplay then to my mind at least they are still great games

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Aged well

0*HUwLaE2WY7eKRM-P.jpg

Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox) - Dated graphics aside (which still look damn good btw), the action controls on this are as tight as ever and it has one of the best designed interconnected levels in all of gaming.

marvel-ultimate-alliance-header-192399.jpg

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Xbox) - Still a very fun game to play and a great celebration of the Marvel Universe.

900x.jpg

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation) - Despite it's dated graphics, this game is still a joy to play. I think Kojima is a shit storyteller, but the man knows how to design his games.

Aged not well

627978-918890_20041213_003.jpg

Jade Empire (Xbox) - It still has one of the best stories I've experienced in gaming, but the action rpg gameplay is stiff as hell.

dead-or-alive-xtreme-beach-volleyball-15.png

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox) - I think it's still a fun game to play, but for a title whose main selling point was the cheesecake, those digital models look so doll like lifeless. Thank goodness the current DOA games have better models.

Bakkus

Mario Kart 64 aged poorly. Way too long hitstun, the lightweight characters gets squashed by the heavies just by crashing in to them. Sliding and drifting options are very limited compared to every game in the series that has come out since. (aside from the GBA one).

Diddy Kong Racing, however, is still awesome.

Kazza

Jade Empire (Xbox) - It still has one of the best stories I've experienced in gaming, but the action rpg gameplay is stiff as hell.

I played it for the first about around 3 years back and thought it played fine. Maybe it depends on the character you use, but as the woman in the picture you posted you go jump and flip around. The movement had a sense of momentum, but not so much as to feel unresponsive. The only part I feel didn't age well was the resolution and choppy framerate. I was playing on an OG Xbox, so people plying on the S or X via BC shouldn't have that issue.

You're right about the story being great. Even some side stories are pretty good. That one about the drowned children wanting revenge was particularly memorable.

GreyHorace

I played it for the first about around 3 years back and thought it played fine. Maybe it depends on the character you use, but as the woman in the picture you posted you go jump and flip around. The movement had a sense of momentum, but not so much as to feel unresponsive. The only part I feel didn't age well was the resolution and choppy framerate. I was playing on an OG Xbox, so people plying on the S or X via BC shouldn't have that issue.

You're right about the story being great. Even some side stories are pretty good. That one about the drowned children wanting revenge was particularly memorable.
I just thought in comparison to other action rpgs like The Witcher 2 and 3 or even the From Software games, Jade Empire's combat felt a little archaic. But since it was one of the first RPGs to try and tackle real time combat, I guess I can forgive it for lacking a lot of the refinements later games have employed.

Though it's not as popular as Bioware's other original IP's like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I thought JE was something special and could have led to more games set in that universe. It's a shame they never returned to it added to the fact that they were slowly in decline after the acquisition by EA.

Kazza

I just thought in comparison to other action rpgs like The Witcher 2 and 3 or even the From Software games, Jade Empire's combat felt a little archaic. But since it was one of the first RPGs to try and tackle real time combat, I guess I can forgive it for lacking a lot of the refinements later games have employed.

Though it's not as popular as Bioware's other original IP's like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I thought JE was something special and could have led to more games set in that universe. It's a shame they never returned to it added to the fact that they were slowly in decline after the acquisition by EA.

Actually, you're probably right. You see, I didn't really play any console games from 1998-2015 (although I did play quite a few PC strategy up until 2008 or so). Once I got back into gaming around 2015, I pretty much decided to pick up where I left off and bought a load of Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era games and consoles (all super cheap). Although I've managed to catch up a little (into the Wii/360/PS3 era now, woohoo!), my gaming standards are stuck in circa 2009 or so. I probably shouldn't be butting in on threads about what has and hasn't aged well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Still, what you said about Jade Empire kind of vindicates my choice to start working my way up from the OG Xbox, rather than jumping into a modern console straight away. If I had played Witcher 3 first and then Jade Empire after, maybe I would have felt it was a little janky too. Which 5 action RPGs of the past 15 years would you most recommend I play?

Super Metroid is still perfect to this day
Metroid Prime isn't as ageless but it fares better than nearly everything from its era, the atmosphere is still amazing
Deus Ex aged pretty poorly but you can mod it so ::shrugs:: and to be fair to it I just mean graphically and how it plays, there are lots of things it does that still haven't been matched

Mario Kart 64 aged poorly. Way too long hitstun, the lightweight characters gets squashed by the heavies just by crashing in to them. Sliding and drifting options are very limited compared to every game in the series that has come out since. (aside from the GBA one).
Mario Kart 64 was never good though... :messenger_winking: But it was a necessary transition between SMK and the subsequent games of the series.

GreyHorace

Actually, you're probably right. You see, I didn't really play any console games from 1998-2015 (although I did play quite a few PC strategy up until 2008 or so). Once I got back into gaming around 2015, I pretty much decided to pick up where I left off and bought a load of Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era games and consoles (all super cheap). Although I've managed to catch up a little (into the Wii/360/PS3 era now, woohoo!), my gaming standards are stuck in circa 2009 or so. I probably shouldn't be butting in on threads about what has and hasn't aged well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Still, what you said about Jade Empire kind of vindicates my choice to start working my way up from the OG Xbox, rather than jumping into a modern console straight away. If I had played Witcher 3 first and then Jade Empire after, maybe I would have felt it was a little janky too. Which 5 action RPGs of the past 15 years would you most recommend I play?
Well I've been playing console games since the late 90's, and even back then I knew Jade Empire's controls felt a little janky. I wouldn't blame you if some old games and their outdated control schemes would feel strange to you. I'm pretty sure I'd be frustrated if I ever played the old Tomb Raider games again.

As for recommended action RPGs. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend:

1) Mass Effect 2 - The first game has a great story and wonderful atmosphere, but the combat is shit. It was overhauled and greatly improved in the sequel though.
2) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Take note this is my first From Software game, but there's no denying how great it's combat gameplay is. But like any FromSoft game be prepared to die a lot.
3) The Witcher 3 - I never had a problem with the combat in this unlike some people. Though I will admit it's a bit limited.
4) Dragon's Dogma - A must play for any ARPG fan. Wish Capcom would make a sequel to it.

Those are the examples I've played. Can't recommend others since I haven't played them.

I think Doom and Street Fighter 2 both still play really well. The gameplay is still fun and the visuals still offer the same charm and atmosphere they had all those years ago.

dead-or-alive-xtreme-beach-volleyball-15.png

Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox) - I think it's still a fun game to play, but for a title whose main selling point was the cheesecake, those digital models look so doll like lifeless. Thank goodness the current DOA games have better models.

I never played the first DoX2, but I spent a lot of time with the second and it probably doesnt hold up today either, for the same reasons you mentioned.
Even back then, it was obvious that the girls had no ass, but I just focused on their pretty faces, titties and the relaxing holiday island environment. Today their doll faces and low-poly bodies wouldnt cut it though.

GreyHorace

I never played the first DoX2, but I spent a lot of time with the second and it probably doesnt hold up today either, for the same reasons you mentioned.
Even back then, it was obvious that the girls had no ass, but I just focused on their pretty faces, titties and the relaxing holiday island environment. Today their doll faces and low-poly bodies wouldnt cut it though.
The jump from DOAX2 to DOAX3 was a real step forward in terms of graphics. The DOA girls looked like real women in terms of proportions and body shape. I will without shame admit to busting a nut once or twice. Here's a comparison:

I’ve been playing through the strike series and they hold up so much. They look great, the gameplay is still fresh and unmatched from the 90s.

I’m currently on Urban and it’s not as good as the first two with it’s easier difficulty and boring on foot missions. Jungle Strike is god tier.

tumblr_p7z50cI2VZ1xq94wqo1_400.gif

Desert_Strike_%2528Amiga%2529_28.gif

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Aged well:
image-1-the-secret-of-monkey-island.jpg

My favourite game of all time. Still the best P&C adventure ever. Amazing writing, fantastic characters, beautiful setting, excellent puzzles.

Didn't age well:
daggerfall23.png

In my top 10 of all time. Incredible game, the quantity and quality of stories, characters and writing is still unsurpassed. Biggest game of all time in term of any content. Unplayable for today's standards, controls are untolerable and it's just too big and complex. Still easily the best Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Games are either great forever or shit forever. Age does not make them better or worse.

There are so many 16-bit titles that have aged well, that I don't even know where to begin. Think that goes for 8-bit games as well.

Think the first Forza Motorsport aged considerably well. Goes for a lot of cell shaded games, as well as games from the 7th generation of consoles (and PC) - the advent of HD gaming. Look at The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Ridge Racer 6. Still impressive looking games.

DOOM (1993) still remains a solid game both graphically and gameplay wise.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing through the strike series and they hold up so much. They look great, the gameplay is still fresh and unmatched from the 90s.

I’m currently on Urban and it’s not as good as the first two with it’s easier difficulty and boring on foot missions. Jungle Strike is god tier.

tumblr_p7z50cI2VZ1xq94wqo1_400.gif

Desert_Strike_%2528Amiga%2529_28.gif

Man, I loved these games. Super tough, but super fun and rewarding, I wish one or two made it on the Genesis Mini.

Star Fox (Still enjoy it to this day)

Definitely. Think that games that use polygons can age gracefully.like this one. 100%-ing every stage is still a satisfactory experience. It was my most-played game in 1993. It has to be one of my Top 3 Super Nintendo titles.

I love the Strike series. It's creepy just how closely EA predicted 9/11 in Urban Strike though and is not surprising as to why it hasn't resurfaced in some compilation.

Last edited:
Aged Well:
X-COM: UFO Defense/UFO Enemy Unknown
Rick Dangerous
Supremacy: Your Will be Done/Overlord
Constructor
Morrowind
Flashback
Another world/Out of this WOrld
Strike Series (16-bit titles)
Most 2D point and click adventures

Aged Badly:
Starfox/Starwing
Monster Hunter (PS2 version has dreadful controls)
Mortal Kombat
Most 3D or FMV adventure titles like Phantasmagoria, Monkey Island 4 or Gabriel Knight 3. (Even if i do still have some fondness for them)

Vawn

Banned
From SNES Classic - Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island and Finsl Fantasy 6 are all still fantastic games.

Secret of Mana is not. As pretty as it is, that game has way too many issues to overlook.

petran79

Banned
Aged poorly:

-TMNT: the arcade game

Graphics and sound were very good and had boosted the ratings, but beat-em-up mechanics were very clunky. NES version despite the simpler gfx and lack of some sfx was much better. Not the best Konami beat-em-up either

-Terminator 2 (shooting arcade game)

I remember putting many coins on that game but realized that if you remove the t2 name, it is a mediocre shooter. Even operation wolf is better. Very good atmosphere, but I'd not replay it anytime soon.

Aged well:

-Virtua Tennis 1

With so many installments, Sega have lost it along the way. While vt2 is my most played game, I consider vt1 a true classic and the best of the franchise.

-Ocean Hunter

Who could guess that the creators of Sega Bass Fishing could have created one of the best underwater experiences ever. Even modern games do not go into that level of detail in gfx, animation, music and sound.

spawn

Aged well: God of war 1 and 2 on ps2. The game mechanics still hold up as amazing games.

Did not age well: Bully. Loved the game back then. Replayed it on ps4 as ps classic. The section where you have to shoot the nerds with your slingshot and then fight the nerd boss. I believe the mission is called stronghold assault. It was not good at all

Last edited:
Aged Well

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy - Really fun psychic powers to use along with solid third person shooting controls.

+Gameplay
+Animation
+Audio

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Still holds up brilliantly. Way ahead of its time. Everything about this game is top notch.

+Graphics
+Story
+Gameplay
+Audio
+Presentation
+Pacing

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare - Yes it has tank controls but if you're a true classic survival horror fan you won't be bothered by it. Excellently realized dark atmosphere.

+Graphics
+Atmosphere
+Classic Survival Horror

-Tank Controls

Mafia: City of Lost Heaven (PC) - Solid TPS gameplay; fully destructible cars; varied mission structure; realistic car handling (could be frustrating for some but it's by design). Wonderful atmosphere, music and voice acting. Features an all time great Mafia story with a memorable ending. At the time had by far the most detailed faces in gaming and they still hold up.

+Gameplay
+Story
+Audio
+Graphics

-Soundtrack is limited
-Slow pace (including a notoriously slow start before things get cooking).

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Beautifully fluid animation; fun and exciting sword combat with addictive time-rewind gimmick. Colorful graphics; great soundtrack.

+Graphics
+Gameplay
+Audio
+Wow factor

-Platforming can get frustrating.
-Archaic save structure.

Aged Poorly

MDK 2 - Default controls are frustrating and unintuitive. Good sound and decent graphics/animation. Might be nostalgia but I feel like part 1 aged better graphically.

+Audio

-Gameplay
-Controls
-Graphics

GTA 3 and Vice City - Awful graphics; run of the mill crime story; boring, repetitive mission structure; mediocre to bad gameplay.

+Open world destruction
+Vice City OST

-Graphics
-Gameplay
-Story

NBA2K - At the time it was incredible, but has aged incredibly bad lol. The commentary is surprisingly deep, but delivered poorly/unnaturally. Let's just say that graphics and gameplay have come a long way.

+Presentation
+Detailed commentary

-Graphics
-Gameplay
-Stiff voice work
-Animations

Alone in the Dark 1 + 2 - Completely unplayable these days. Hilariously outdated.

+Charm

-Gameplay
-Graphics
-Audio

Myst - Not recommended to anyone new to the series. Outdated is an understatement.

-Graphics
-Audio
-Gameplay

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When it comes to age, most games are dead last in the graphics department but you have to look else where like design, music etc. some of this is opinion vs fact but I have no choice but to choose Majoras Mask (Personal favorite) I forgot the game was released in 2000.

I'm still playing Halo: CE through the Master Chief Collection. Luv it. From Xbox Xbox --> Xbox One Xbox One still good 🙌
  • Graphics - while the game's visuals might not turn heads, it still works.
  • Audio - Halo soundtracks never die.
  • Gameplay - Still has hands down the best FPS multiplayer action of any game I've ever played. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

amigastar

Aged well - Gothic 2, Zelda Wind Waker, REmake, Diablo 2
Aged not so well - GTA 3 (it's still a great game but really outdated).,

Last edited:

AntiCap

GoldenEye is the only game I used to play that I can no longer stomach. Though I've been meaning to go back to it and test out the control scheme that let you use two analogue sticks.

Top Bottom