• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

kubricks

Can you guys help me find the name of an arcade game? I have been trying to find it for many years but to no avail.

It was about 30 years ago when the only place to play graphically superior games are at the arcade, I was too young to enter it since they are age restricted, so I only get to watch people play through the glass from the outside.
It was about the time when Street Fighter II' release, I saw a fighting game that involved characters including some Samurais, a Kappa (The Japanese river monster?), a Sumo wrestler and probably a few more I didn't remember. It wasn't anything from Capcom or NeoGeo as I have searched for it, though the style was closer to early days NeoGeo fighter. Oh, it was a game with swords before Samurai Spirits I came out

Any clue guys?

Last edited:
Game #1

I don't remember what system this was, but I've played this back in the 90s. It was a blonde kid (if my memory serves me right) and you rode on something that looked like a skateboard or something similar to thar. And it was a 2d side scroller type of a game if I am not wrong and you had like a blaster gun or something. It was a very fun game but to this day I can't remember the name of it or what I played it on and what year.

Game #2

There was another game too where it was kind of like a metrodvavian platformer and you had like a small red cap on your head (maybe it was blue) but it had propellers on it and you could traverse and shoot enemies around.it was very fun... wish I could play it again..

Last edited:
I don't remember what it was but there was a game I played in the 90s/early 2000s, I think it was about cavemen, pre rendered sprites, 2D perspective, might have been a shareware for a bigger game. Could have been an MMO because I recall there being many characters, possibly NPCs or other players. I wish I could remember what it was, if it was a real game. Might just be a figment of my imagination but I hope it's real

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Game #1

I don't remember what system this was, but I've played this back in the 90s. It was a blonde kid (if my memory serves me right) and you rode on something that looked like a skateboard or something similar to thar. And it was a 2d side scroller type of a game if I am not wrong and you had like a blaster gun or something. It was a very fun game but to this day I can't remember the name of it or what I played it on and what year.
Wonder Boy? It had a blond kid riding a skateboard and throwing projectiles. (no gun though)

Can you guys help me find the name of an arcade game? I have been trying to find it for many years but to no avail.

It was about 30 years ago when the only place to play graphically superior games are at the arcade, I was too young to enter it since they are age restricted, so I only get to watch people play through the glass from the outside.
It was about the time when Street Fighter II' release, I saw a fighting game that involved characters including some Samurais, a Kappa (The Japanese river monster?), a Sumo wrestler and probably a few more I didn't remember. It wasn't anything from Capcom or NeoGeo as I have searched for it, though the style was closer to early days NeoGeo fighter. Oh, it was a game with swords before Samurai Spirits I came out

Any clue guys?
Shogun Warriors?

Last edited:

drganon

This game for the genesis that was kind of like contra, had a picture of an arm holding an Uzi or something like that on the cartridge cover.

This game for the genesis that was kind of like contra, had a picture of an arm holding an Uzi or something like that on the cartridge cover.
sounds like maybe it's "midnight resistance?"

Midnight_Resistance.png

Last edited:

BlackTron

Sometimes I still wonder what "the frog game" was. It had (I think) a drawing of a frog on the floppy disk. The game background was black and a pixel square red tongue would extend vertically to catch flies.

There's a chance it's my very first game, before I even had an NES, but it's very hazy to remember. I didn't set it up myself off a floppy disk, it was my dad's computer room lol

Looking for something pretty obscure right now thzt the "controversial fighting games takes" thread made me remember.

It was a 3D fighting game I played on PC a dozen or so years ago, entirely in Japanese. I tried playing the story mode, there was a lot of text and dialogues between fights, even more than the likes of Blazblue; seriously, I think it went 30 minutes before the first fight, and since everything was, again, in Japanese, I had no idea what the fuck was going on.
Now fof the details, I only vaguely remember some of the characters. There was a maid (because of course there's a maid in these games) who could switch mid-fight between dual daggers, a huge zweihander, or a pair of uzis, giving her a different moveset. Another one was your typical emo Japanese dude, fighting with a red katana in one hand (and the scabbard in the other?); one of his supers involved him drawing a pentagram in front of him by slashing the air, and firing a beam from this pentagram.

Pretty sure the name was a single, three- or four-syllables Japanese word.

I have nothing to go on for this game I'm trying to remember except that

1. It was on the original game boy
2. It was a fighting game
3. I think maybe one of the characters could jump off the side of the screen and come back with the hard ass attack to dodge, kind of like Vega in SF2 but he would actually go completely off the screen.

And I'm not even all that sure about #3. :lol Super vague, but I know I'll remember it when I see it.

::edit::
Also, I think all the matches actually took place in a ring, like a boxing ring with ropes and such.
Your descriptions, lmao, here is a video with all Gb/Gbc fighting games;

Looking for something pretty obscure right now thzt the "controversial fighting games takes" thread made me remember.

It was a 3D fighting game I played on PC a dozen or so years ago, entirely in Japanese. I tried playing the story mode, there was a lot of text and dialogues between fights, even more than the likes of Blazblue; seriously, I think it went 30 minutes before the first fight, and since everything was, again, in Japanese, I had no idea what the fuck was going on.
Now fof the details, I only vaguely remember some of the characters. There was a maid (because of course there's a maid in these games) who could switch mid-fight between dual daggers, a huge zweihander, or a pair of uzis, giving her a different moveset. Another one was your typical emo Japanese dude, fighting with a red katana in one hand (and the scabbard in the other?); one of his supers involved him drawing a pentagram in front of him by slashing the air, and firing a beam from this pentagram.

More details, please! Its 3D but plays like 2D, or you have free 3D movement ? Gimme all details u have!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

was it on a doujin site or a retail in store release?

Lone Wolf

Any clue guys?
Maybe Monster Maulers by Konami? It released in 1992. No home ports.

Krathoon

I remember this old game demo on a PC Gamer disc where you go in the VR representation of a dead man's mind. I think it was called Necrobious.

I think the game was never released. It only had a demo.

Last edited:

Muchacho

Hinokakera Chaotic Eclipse

Knightime_X

I think I might have a hard on.
An astroid game that I've only ever seen in 1 arcade.
Cost about $6 to play with 6 players playing at once, I think.

The graphics were 3d and EXTREMELY good for its time. I think the game came out in 1998

Was an on rails shooter.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been thinking about a game I played back on Ps1, I can literally see it in front of me and hear the music but can’t think of the name.. Super annoying.

It’s a 2D platformer and you play as some kind of troll with green (I think?) hair. It’s a bit medieval themed and your attacks consisted of throwing your hat. There were different types of hats you could get as attacks. The levels also had a lot of depth, as in movement from background to foreground.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ve been thinking about a game I played back on Ps1, I can literally see it in front of me and hear the music but can’t think of the name.. Super annoying.

It’s a 2D platformer and you play as some kind of troll with green (I think?) hair. It’s a bit medieval themed and your attacks consisted of throwing your hat. There were different types of hats you could get as attacks. The levels also had a lot of depth, as in movement from background to foreground.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think I might have a hard on.
An astroid game that I've only ever seen in 1 arcade.
Cost about $6 to play with 6 players playing at once, I think.

The graphics were 3d and EXTREMELY good for its time. I think the game came out in 1998

Was an on rails shooter.
Maybe this? Doesn't exactly fit your description.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
GAF help me out. I just remember the trailer. Its a very recent game, not even sure if it has released. The trailer was released early this year or last year. Here is what I remember-

A very beautiful train station. An old dude or kid (dont remember exactly) gets on a train when it comes, then the trailer goes to a overhead view of the train as it travels the countryside. The train then goes to a different town from there. Seemed like a platformer game though not sure.

This game just popped in my mind and I just can't seem to remember it's title: a golf like game in a dystopian setting for PC. Must have been a Win 95 release. It had the prerendered graphics style. Somehow I seem to associate the game with Bad Mojo, maybe due to similar aesthetics and time of release. It was likely not actual golf or had golf in the title, since I can't find it using a search engine, but I clearly remember the mechanics were the same; hitting a ball on a course. No fancy physics.

Still haven't found this one, rings a bell for anyone?
Someone suggested a 3D game, but that's not it. This one is fully pre-rendered in that mid 90's Windows 95/98, when macromedia flash became popular style. So simple mechanics, but very offbeat, dystopian art. I played the demo released on a demo sampler CD-ROM.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
GAF help me out. I just remember the trailer. Its a very recent game, not even sure if it has released. The trailer was released early this year or last year. Here is what I remember-

A very beautiful train station. An old dude or kid (dont remember exactly) gets on a train when it comes, then the trailer goes to a overhead view of the train as it travels the countryside. The train then goes to a different town from there. Seemed like a platformer game though not sure.

Anyone?

Recentish trailer with beautiful art and you sort of thought it might be a platformer....

Maybe Eastward

Since no one was able to help me when this one was posted in the RetroArch thread, I'm going to post it here:

I remember playing a demo of this... think about it from time to time... but could never remember what was its name.

Top Bottom