• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Het_Nkik

This one's a bit unorthodox for this thread as it's more of a... controller you remember, name you don't. But does anyone know the name of this NES joystick I have circled in this picture?

vfscm3F.jpg

I've tried searching like, "black NES joystick" and every variant of that and I can't find anything.

I found the above picture in an eBay auction where the seller is selling a lot of 8 broken NES joysticks. I even sent him a message asking what the all black joystick on the far left was called and he replied with, "The controller with the gray handle is..." I don't want to bother him anymore since it's a weird thing to be asking a stranger on eBay anyway.

But if anyone here knows what that joystick was called, it would be much appreciated.

xezuru

War World?

Pretty sure it was older and clunkier than this, models were a bit more blocky and instead of open areas, I remember a specific map that was in a city scape closed off in a decently small square, was like to-mech-scale mini-action quake arena. Not that the movement was anything close to fast as quake i think.

This one's a bit unorthodox for this thread as it's more of a... controller you remember, name you don't. But does anyone know the name of this NES joystick I have circled in this picture?

I've tried searching like, "black NES joystick" and every variant of that and I can't find anything.

I found the above picture in an eBay auction where the seller is selling a lot of 8 broken NES joysticks. I even sent him a message asking what the all black joystick on the far left was called and he replied with, "The controller with the gray handle is..." I don't want to bother him anymore since it's a weird thing to be asking a stranger on eBay anyway.

But if anyone here knows what that joystick was called, it would be much appreciated.

Looks like an old Cheetah to me.

TheKeyPit

Banned
This one could be hard: I was playing this game on my fathers pc with Windows98. I can't exactly remember at which year I've played it, sometime in 1999-2002. I was in control of some sort of ancient tribe and needed to gather wood by sending out people to chop down trees in the beginning. I'm not sure, but I think that I was able to cast a tornado on enemies. That is all I remember of that game and this memories are always coming back when I see this thread.

Edi

Neo Member
Arcade fighting game and the sega megadrive game when u play with a big baby .
Snes game when u play with some frogs...

There was a game on the Commodore64 (I think) where you were a bum and had to collect bottles and stuff to get money for a haircut to get a job. What was the name of that game?

This one could be hard: I was playing this game on my fathers pc with Windows98. I can't exactly remember at which year I've played it, sometime in 1999-2002. I was in control of some sort of ancient tribe and needed to gather wood by sending out people to chop down trees in the beginning. I'm not sure, but I think that I was able to cast a tornado on enemies. That is all I remember of that game and this memories are always coming back when I see this thread.

Try Populous: The Beginning.

There was a game on the Commodore64 (I think) where you were a bum and had to collect bottles and stuff to get money for a haircut to get a job. What was the name of that game?

Sounds like Rags to Riches.

Svafnir

There games.

The first was a SNES or NES, but I think SNES RPG. That at first you go straight down into a cave, and then right after to a ship on the left of the map. That's all I remember.

Second again is privacy snes but maybe NES. It was a first person RPG where you would walk a space at a time, and I think I remeber an item was a boot. Where you could break down walls with a crack.

Lastily again, an snes game. It was a side scrolling game where you fought dinosaurs. Each level had a different boss at the end. You played a pre historic guy.

Geedorah

So I just got a request from an old friend, trying to see if anyone can help us figure it out:

Do you remember then name of that video game on Xbox that was like a movie? And you had to basically choose your own adventure? It was trippy as fuck, you were a detective and your girl got murdered and you had to try and solve the case but then near the end there were demons and weird shit? This has been bothering me for like a month. Thanks man!

One game I'm always trying to remember was one I played in elementary school, on an Apple II I think. I think it was a spelling game that involved shooting apples with arrows or something. My memory of it is very vague so I could have some details wrong. I know the game had apples in it though.

Spelling Jungle?

I have a PC game of my own from about the same time I don't knowt the name of. It was a sidescrolling game in which you played as a submarine. I don't remember much about the standard action in it, but there was probably some shooting involved in it, as I do remember that you could collect pieces of a gun that you would assemble that would quickly destroy the final boss, a giant piranha.

Lastily again, an snes game. It was a side scrolling game where you fought dinosaurs. Each level had a different boss at the end. You played a pre historic guy.

I know someone has already mentioned Joe & Mac. If that's not it, other possibilities are Super Bonk/BC Kid and Chuck Rock. Perhaps less likely, it could be Super Adventure Island.

Lelcar

There are several Playstation games that intrigued me growing up that I never got to play and I still haven't played them today: Guardian's Crusade, Silhouette Mirage, Tomba!, and Fear Effect.

(I did play a demo disc with Tomba! on it though.)

KTO

A gameboy game (possibly multiplat) in which you are a tomato with a green mohawk (i believe named clarke?) and you need to resuce your girlfriend whose also a tomato. iirc: gameplay was puzzle based and involved pushing blocks around.

I have a PC game of my own from about the same time I don't knowt the name of. It was a sidescrolling game in which you played as a submarine. I don't remember much about the standard action in it, but there was probably some shooting involved in it, as I do remember that you could collect pieces of a gun that you would assemble that would quickly destroy the final boss, a giant piranha.

Sounds like In Search of Dr. Riptide.

SaviorX

Ok, so I friend of mine asked to recall a game i supposedly used to play on the PC but I cannot remember playing at all.

It was probably circa 1994-2002...a 2D side-scroller where you commandeer a tank and "just shoot stuff". No human character, just a tank/vehicle

Blue Lou

I've just tried out Steamworld Dig on the PS Vita, it instantly brought back memories of an old NES game I had as a child but I can't remember what it was called.

There was a miner with a helmet and attached flashlight. He'd be able to left, right and down but the levels were like puzzles, there'd be switches to time locked doors and you'd only have so long to get through the door or would have to return to the switch to start over. I remember three other main things about this game; a spade, mosquitos (the enemies) and diamonds.

It's not boulder dash or manic miner although they do seem similar.

Edit:

Answer was Digger T. Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSgiq_YTTw

Seventy70

I can't remember the game that was posted on GAF within the last couple of months. I think the thread was saying that a specific PC game(?) is coming to PSN. From the pictures I saw, it looked like some first person game (possibly a shooter) with retro looking graphics. I think I read something about the PC game coming out earlier and it now coming to PSN. The game looked really cool, but I never got around to checking it out.

I can't remember the game that was posted on GAF within the last couple of months. I think the thread was saying that a specific PC game(?) is coming to PSN. From the pictures I saw, it looked like some first person game (possibly a shooter) with retro looking graphics. I think I read something about the PC game coming out earlier and it now coming to PSN. The game looked really cool, but I never got around to checking it out.

Not coming to PSN, but maybe "Strife"? Totally guessing though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144967627

I played a Mario fighting game at a hospital waiting room before. I remember a fight between Mario and Bowser. It was like 14 years ago. Everything had a realistic artstyle. Mario was Bowser's height and skinny. There was a WarioWare minigame like it, too.

And no, definitely wasn't Smash Bros.

I played a Mario fighting game at a hospital waiting room before. I remember a fight between Mario and Bowser. It was like 14 years ago. Everything had a realistic artstyle. Mario was Bowser's height and skinny. There was a WarioWare minigame like it, too.

Wait, that wario ware mini game is actually based on a mario game? I need to know the game as well lmao.

BooJoh

That doesn't seem like the game I'm thinking of. I think I saw the thread somewhere in October or November. The game had a really pixelated art style. I might be wrong, but I think there was the option of katana as a weapon in the game. I'm dying trying to figure out what it was now :'(

Proteus matches the first person pixelated graphics but has no combat.

EDIT - Might also be Paranautical Activity, but I don't know if/when that's actually coming to PSN.

I'm pretty sure that game only exists in WarioWare. If you played a full game like that it was likely some sort of unofficial game.

Cool thread. So I played this game when I was young... I don't remember what console it was on since I had a few when I was growing up. It's a Japanese game where you played a swordsman of some sort. It was a side scroller, and it was HARD as hell, I remember that enemies literally rained on you and you can basically die it one hit. It had end bosses every few stages with rather Japanese designs. Oh, and the only power up was that your puny little sword grew bigger and bigger.

Was somewhat memorable since it was basically the first really hard video game that I managed to finish, damned if I could remember what it was called.

Cool thread. So I played this game when I was young... I don't remember what console it was on since I had a few when I was growing up. It's a Japanese game where you played a swordsman of some sort. It was a side scroller, and it was HARD as hell, I remember that enemies literally rained on you and you can basically die it one hit. It had end bosses every few stages with rather Japanese designs. Oh, and the only power up was that your puny little sword grew bigger and bigger.

Was somewhat memorable since it was basically the first really hard video game that I managed to finish, damned if I could remember what it was called.

Kendo Rage for the SNES?

So I have one I've been trying to figure out for a very long time I believe it was on the C64, and it was like an asteroids clone, only more colorful, and as you flew around you could find portals that would warp you to to mazes you had to fly through.

I was very young when I played this and I don't have too much more to go on but I've never been able to figure this one out. Any ideas GAF?

EDIT - Might also be Paranautical Activity, but I don't know if/when that's actually coming to PSN.

I'm pretty sure that game only exists in WarioWare. If you played a full game like that it was likely some sort of unofficial game.

Damn it. Can anyone find a screenshot of WarioWare. I want to see it again.

So I have one I've been trying to figure out for a very long time I believe it was on the C64, and it was like an asteroids clone, only more colorful, and as you flew around you could find portals that would warp you to to mazes you had to fly through.

I was very young when I played this and I don't have too much more to go on but I've never been able to figure this one out. Any ideas GAF?

Might be a stretch by try Mutants.

Glowsquid

There's no official Mario fighting game, but maybe what you played was Kart Fighter?

Seventy70

Proteus definitely isn't it. From the pictures it looked like a game where killing was involved. Paranautical Activity doesn't look like it either. I think an upgrade system may have been involved too, but I'm not sure.

Was there gravity? Is it any of these?
http://kometbomb.net/2008/06/18/thrustlikes/
Doesn't sound like it if it was C64 but that's all I can do.

I remember back in the day there was this demo i used to play on the PS1. You played as some woman who appeared in a mansion of sorts.There were people chasing you and you had to use various traps to kill them. I think one of the traps was a swinging scythe. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what game I am talking about.

Proteus definitely isn't it. From the pictures it looked like a game where killing was involved. Paranautical Activity doesn't look like it either. I think an upgrade system may have been involved too, but I'm not sure.

Maybe something like Eldritch? http://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/

Or Delver? http://store.steampowered.com/app/249630/

I want to say at least one of those might have been announced for a console release. Could be wrong.

Edit:
I remember back in the day there was this demo i used to play on the PS1. You played as some woman who appeared in a mansion of sorts.There were people chasing you and you had to use various traps to kill them. I think one of the traps was a swinging scythe. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what game I am talking about.
Most likely Tecmo's Deception. There's a few games in the series so poke through them if it's not the first.

Top Bottom