• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

1. sega genesis
2. side-scrolling shooter w/ships, weapon power ups, etc.
3. only played it on the sega channel thing, never actually bought/rented the cartridge
4. each ship looked different, and one kinda looked like a squid or something organic
5. the two player mode was amazing fun
6. i remember it being the best game of it's kinda back when i was that age
7. biohazard battle seems kinda similar but i don't see any recognizable ships or environments at all

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
1. sega genesis
2. side-scrolling shooter w/ships, weapon power ups, etc.
3. only played it on the sega channel thing, never actually bought/rented the cartridge
4. each ship looked different, and one kinda looked like a squid or something organic
5. the two player mode was amazing fun
6. i remember it being the best game of it's kinda back when i was that age
7. biohazard battle seems kinda similar but i don't see any recognizable ships or environments at all

Bio-Hazard Battle?

EDIT- DURRRRRRR, should have read point 7....

Count Dookkake said:
Bio-Hazard Battle?

EDIT- DURRRRRRR, should have read point 7....

yeah unless someone can show me a ton of BHB screens that i can find a recognizeable one among, i'm still counting it out for now.

the backgrounds and graphics looked amazing. was probably one of the last genesis games, especially compared to all the other side scroller screens i've seen that looked almost NES quality.

Roquentin

1. For Commodore 64.
2. Puzzle game.
3. Top-down view.
4. Player has to push blocks that have different colors.
5. When all blocks with the same color "touch", they disappear.
6. After clearing all blocks level changes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I watched a video of a hilarious Sega CD game but now I can't remember the name. It was completely FMV about a cyborg/robotic dad being chased by evil dudes. At one part he was thrown out of a plane and floated down by a life raft.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
ICallItFutile said:
I watch video of a hilarious Sega CD game but now I can't remember the name. It was completely FMV about a cyborg/robotic dad being chased by evil dudes. At one part he was thrown out of a plane and floated down by a life raft.
Wirehead

coamithra

eso76 said:
if it's the one i'm thinking of, you did start on a cloud but the game had on foot levels too.
name escapes me right now
I do believe you left the safety of your cloud, yes! At least I think I fell into the lava after going into the giant toad..

AColdDay

I love threads like this because it demonstrates how many crazy ideas have been made into games over the years. It seems that no matter how crazy or off the wall the memories of a game are, there exists some game out there that matches your memory of it. I've always wanted to just list crazy ideas at random and see if someone would post a game that has already been made that has all of those ideas.

I'm sure I could say:

1. PC game
2. Strategy RPG, with RTS elements
3. Cow was decapitated in the opening credits
4. Entire game set inside a restaurant kitchen.
5. I think Mike Tyson was the final food critic you had to beat.
6. At certain points in the game, a dialog box would pop up and ask you to masturbate.

And someone would say:
I think that you are talking about FoodWars '89, but the opening credits had a pig being decapitated, not a cow. Also, the dialog box asking you to masturbate only happens once when you take the "Secret Sauce" sidequest. Everything else matches up though.

Shiggie

Shiggie said:
An arcade action adventure game with a top down view.
It had an adventure/everquest/warcraft type look to it. I used to play the shit out of that.
No one? :(
I should be more clare, It was an arcade machine.

DeadTrees

Shiggie said:
An arcade action adventure game with a top down view.
It had an adventure/everquest/warcraft type look to it. I used to play the shit out of that.
Shiggie said:
No one? :(
I should be more clare, It was an arcade machine.
Do you have any more details? The game could be Gauntlet, for all we know.

Shiggie

DeadTrees said:
Do you have any more details? The game could be Gauntlet, for all we know.
It was a 3D game not 2D. It had multiplayer... It was so long ago I can hardly remember anything else.

EDIT: I think I found it: Gauntlet Legends. But I remember it looking much better than this tho.
3336_2.png

mujun said:
second one was a birds eye view action rpg on the c64, early days before bards tale or the like id say.

you went into a dungeon and faced vampire bats at the start. was pretty deep for its time. you got different weapons and had some stats. there was a bards taleesque enemy/character window with portraits of the enemy. was a single dungeon type game in real time. didnt have an overworld or party. probably was out round 1987 or there abouts.
Times of Lore? I don't remember the thing about the bats, but I do remember killing an Ogre and getting a ring

eso76

Melhisedek said:
There was this arcade game, at about Neo Geo level graphics. If I recall correctly game was kind of Action RPG, you could destroy barells, you were a knight and fought monsters, there was this level where you were in some kind of town and fought big Minotaur (boss) at some market, he would charge at you. Later you went to "skies" and there was this level where you walked on glass and fought tough enemies, also there was a cave level. Can't remember much more sadly. We tried to finish it a few times but never could. Would love to see some clips on youtube for old times sakes :)

oh, this hasn't been answered

it's either

Taito's Lightbringer

dungmag_a.png

(great game)

or

Data East's Dark Seal (1 or 2)

592_1.png

(great games too)

or even

Konami's Gaiapolis

gaiapols_a.png

Ecto311

It was a gameboy game with an alien type character as the lead. You had as laser gun and moved diagonally. The lead had a round head I think and that's about all I remember of it.

RiZ III

1 )An old school Mech game from EA.
2) It was on PC, you could use different types of mechs and you would have a view from the cockpit.
3)There was a purple humanoid one, a yellow raptor(?) looking one, a red scorpion one, and I think one more.

It was fucking badass, sadly I don't remember the name =(

stuminus3

Two games:

First may only have existed in my imagination, at least in the form I remember it. I was on holiday and playing this arcade racing game every day that I thought was Pole Position. However, I clearly remember driving alongside a mountain, with the cliffs to the right and a sheer drop to the left. That quite obviously isn't Pole Position, though you did drive a formula 1 car.

The other was an early 90s Atari ST game. You're on a space station and have to run around protecting it from blob creature invasion. Sort of an isometric view. You could switch between three characters I think. It was really, really good but I don't remember what it was called and I've never seen anyone else talk about it. Maybe because it's a home computer game. If anyone can tell me what this is I'll love them forever.

EDIT:

Might as well be helpful while I'm here...

sonarrat said:
Amiga game, space shooter with vector graphics. It was packaged with a novella which I thought was really cool at the time.
This game was Starglider.

...from Rainbird...rainbird...rainbird...rainbird...

TheExodu5

Banned
No one will get this one.

Back when I was in 1st/2nd grade, we had Unisys Icon computers in our classes. There was a game where you were a turtle (I think) moving through a maze. You could change into a pyramid looking structure.

That's all I remember. :lol

Otherwise, there was a fun 1vs1 PC game that you could play split-screen or over the internet. One person controlled a man (possibly with a gun), and the other controller a beast (possible with a whip). It was pretty rad.

cheesybread

Neo Member
There was this side scrolling multiplayer shooter game, almost like a multiplayer contra played like a team DM game.

It was played on the WON.net or whatever the old school thing was..it has been haunting me for years because I can't remember the name of it..I played the shit out of it too! Best part? it was free.

someone has to know!

TheExodu5 said:
No one will get this one.

Back when I was in 1st/2nd grade, we had Unisys Icon computers in our classes. There was a game where you were a turtle (I think) moving through a maze. You could change into a pyramid looking structure.

That's all I remember. :lol

Otherwise, there was a fun 1vs1 PC game that you could play split-screen or over the internet. One person controlled a man (possibly with a gun), and the other controller a beast (possible with a whip). It was pretty rad.

The latter one's probably Hunter Hunted, from Sierra.

eso76

coamithra said:
Must have played this thing 20 years ago..

it's a arcade SHMUP. Top down, vertical scrolling, and you're a guy on a cloud. There were upgrades you could pick up, probably gradius style, and one of them caused more guys on clouds to help you out. We'd play with two players where one was solely in charge of hitting that upgrade button ASAP, hehe.

It also probably featured a giant toad that you went into and a lava level. But memories may have been severely warped by the years :)

There it is.
Name is Ninja Emaki. I just remembered it was from Nichibutsu and browsed their games catalogue.
Actually, like i said, for all i know, you're riding a cloud only at the very beginning of the first level, then you're on foot for the rest of the game, unless you get back on it in later levels, but i wouldn't know since it always kicked my young ass very quickly.
Yeah, there's some big toad or turtle, i don't remember, there's lava, weapon system is not exactly gradius style but almost. 100% sure it's him.

eso76

stuminus3 said:
Two games:

First may only have existed in my imagination, at least in the form I remember it. I was on holiday and playing this arcade racing game every day that I thought was Pole Position. However, I clearly remember driving alongside a mountain, with the cliffs to the right and a sheer drop to the left. That quite obviously isn't Pole Position, though you did drive a formula 1 car...
[/spoiler]

pretty sure this is Turbo, from Sega.

eso76

stuminus3 said:
The other was an early 90s Atari ST game. You're on a space station and have to run around protecting it from blob creature invasion. Sort of an isometric view. You could switch between three characters I think. It was really, really good but I don't remember what it was called and I've never seen anyone else talk about it. Maybe because it's a home computer game. If anyone can tell me what this is I'll love them forever.

and thinking of it, this might be Xenophobe. Aliens, space station, sort of an isometric view and 3 characters all fit. IIRC it's actually a conversion of an arcade game.

If it's not Xenophobe, try remembering something else, like genre (you didn't say whether it was a shooter or more like an adventure) or style (funny like xenophobe or more serious) etc.

stuminus3

eso76 said:
pretty sure this is Turbo, from Sega.
Yes, I'm sure it was, too! A million thanks! I guess I can throw my retro gamer card away in shame now, considering Turbo is a reasonably well known game and I consider myself a fan of Sega racers... I guess I just never put two and two together. Thank you!

eso76 said:
and thinking of it, this might be Xenophobe. Aliens, space station, sort of an isometric view and 3 characters all fit. IIRC it's actually a conversion of an arcade game.

If it's not Xenophobe, try remembering something else, like genre (you didn't say whether it was a shooter or more like an adventure) or style (funny like xenophobe or more serious) etc.
Wasn't Xenophobe, unfortunately... I have pretty fond memories of the Lynx version of Xeonophobe. The game I'm talking about was more... home computer-ish, kind of adventure-like but you only had a few locations in your station and you ran back and forth between them as areas were invaded. It had a way more serious style than Xenophobe and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a conversion.

Atari ST (so probably Amiga), 3D, played a lot like the Crystal Maze where you go into different rooms and there's a puzzle to solve in order to get back out. I could never decipher the graphics when I was a kid (it looked like Star Fox) but I loved walking around. I reckon I could crack some of the puzzles now I'm older but I can't crack the puzzle of what game it is!

stuminus3

Nexus Zero said:
Atari ST (so probably Amiga), 3D, played a lot like the Crystal Maze where you go into different rooms and there's a puzzle to solve in order to get back out. I could never decipher the graphics when I was a kid (it looked like Star Fox) but I loved walking around. I reckon I could crack some of the puzzles now I'm older but I can't crack the puzzle of what game it is!
Could it be Total Eclipse or Castle Master? I always remember when Star Fox came out I thought it looked like these old Freescape games.

I remember loving a game called Spaceship Warlocks but I have no idea what it involved.

That's the opposite of this thread title but still.

eso76

stuminus3 said:
Yes, I'm sure it was, too! A million thanks! I guess I can throw my retro gamer card away in shame now, considering Turbo is a reasonably well known game and I consider myself a fan of Sega racers... I guess I just never put two and two together. Thank you!

you're very welcome, i didn't remember of any other F1/like arcade racer with varied environments so i thought it had to be Turbo : ) ( i owned the Colecovision version with the mandatory lousy wheel peripheral :D )

Wasn't Xenophobe, unfortunately... I have pretty fond memories of the Lynx version of Xeonophobe. The game I'm talking about was more... home computer-ish, kind of adventure-like but you only had a few locations in your station and you ran back and forth between them as areas were invaded. It had a way more serious style than Xenophobe and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a conversion.

hmmm...if you could remember whether it was top down / isometric / side scrolling or 3d (a la' dungeon master) that would help

mujun

infinityBCRT said:
Times of Lore? I don't remember the thing about the bats, but I do remember killing an Ogre and getting a ring

nah, i played that. good try though, thanks :)

it was more arcadey, totally real time. from memory the character on the screen was represented as a dot or circle and the monsters and equipment were in windows as static pictures.

im pretty sure the whole game was just one dungeon..

mclem

stuminus3 said:

Wreckers?

mclem

Count Dookkake said:
A text-based game for the Atari ST about a female troll.

Mmm, if you go for 'gnome' rather than 'troll' that fits 'Gnome Ranger' and 'Gnome Ranger II: Ingrid's Back' (And if I remember the cover art correctly, she does look rather more like the classical Norwegian-style troll than what I'd consider a gnome).

mclem

Nexus Zero said:

This isn't terribly helpful; I think I know the game you mean, but I can't recall the name! I think it's a short (4/5 letters) one-word title possibly beginning with K.

Shrubbery

There was an arcade game I played a lot in the early 80s but I just cannot remember the name, but I do recall it was in a sit-down cocktail cabinet.

Anyway, it was obviously inspired by space invaders et al, but it had 5 distinct waves. You controlled a ship at the bottom of the screen, firing bullets vertically.

Wave 1: Very similar to Space Invaders
Wave 2: Alien ships progressing slowly down the screen in columns
Wave 3: Might have been where you had to avoid meteors.
Wave 4: Can't remember
Wave 5: The mothership, which was at the top of the screen and protected by a sort of shield made up of vertical lines? You could only shoot between the lines to hit the mothership, which moved from side to side shooting down at you.

Then the waves repeat, only a bit harder.

Yes, this sounds a lot like Gorf. However, I've played that recently via emulation and it doesn't seem right - especially the final boss wave.

I was wondering if there was a clone or similar game made by another company? I think the year I played it was 81 or 82.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
RiZ III said:
1 )An old school Mech game from EA.
2) It was on PC, you could use different types of mechs and you would have a view from the cockpit.
3)There was a purple humanoid one, a yellow raptor(?) looking one, a red scorpion one, and I think one more.
It was fucking badass, sadly I don't remember the name =(

Ultrabots.

mclem

mclem said:
This isn't terribly helpful; I think I know the game you mean, but I can't recall the name! I think it's a short (4/5 letters) one-word title possibly beginning with K.
I had a flash of inspiration: Kult!

But it was known in the US as "Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Princess", which is why I got thrown when I tried to search for it on Wikipedia. (There's a pen-and-paper RPG called 'Kult' which I got instead)

Is that it? It came to mind primarily because I recall a review comparing it to The Crystal Maze way back in the day; I've not played it myself.

mclem

Shrubbery said:
There was an arcade game I played a lot in the early 80s but I just cannot remember the name, but I do recall it was in a sit-down cocktail cabinet.

Anyway, it was obviously inspired by space invaders et al, but it had 5 distinct waves. You controlled a ship at the bottom of the screen, firing bullets vertically.

Wave 1: Very similar to Space Invaders
Wave 2: Alien ships progressing slowly down the screen in columns
Wave 3: Might have been where you had to avoid meteors.
Wave 4: Can't remember
Wave 5: The mothership, which was at the top of the screen and protected by a sort of shield made up of vertical lines? You could only shoot between the lines to hit the mothership, which moved from side to side shooting down at you.

Then the waves repeat, only a bit harder.

Yes, this sounds a lot like Gorf. However, I've played that recently via emulation and it doesn't seem right - especially the final boss wave.

I was wondering if there was a clone or similar game made by another company? I think the year I played it was 81 or 82.

Phoenix?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
vector arcade game.

two tanks (for single or multiplayer) that you controlled by directly moving their tracks - so I think there were four buttons, not sticks. so up buttons for both tracks = forward, down on one to turn etc. And a fire button.

Bunch of triangles in the centre which were fuel pods I think. Bad guys come on from the edges of the screen in waves, drive up to the pods and try and tow them off screen. Usually three at a time, first just driving, then shooting at you. Shoot an enemy towing a pod and the pod stayed where it was, ready for another enemy to continue to tow it off screen

You could shoot the other player but he respawned after a delay. Infinite lives, game over when all the pods were taken off screen.

I remember it getting really tense as the pods slowly ended up moving towards the edges of the screen, meaning the enemies could pick them up more quickly so less warning etc.

please let someone both identify and link to more info on this. Its pretty much the only arcade game from my youth that I can't remember the name of.

Articate

Banned
Crunched said:
Arcade game that was a beat 'em up-RPG IIRC, with a spell that turned enemies into pigs. For a long time thought it was called Eye of the Beholder, but when I picked that game up on SNES, it was definitely not what I was looking for.

Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom
or
DnD: Shadow over Mystaria?

sorry if it's been figured already.

I got one. It's sooo vague in my head because I was incredibly young at this point, and my brother had borrowed this game or something. I do remember thinking that the music was amazingly awesome. I'll sum up what I think I remember:

1. SNES sidescroller shmup
2. Feels like it wasn't always in a ship. I might be wrong on this point, but it feels like you were some sort of guy running around on the second level.

I think I loved the music on level 2, which would be the same level that I THINK that was some sort of underwater level or something like that, or that you're atleast going through clouds or something along those lines. And that there was a boss. The type you'd have to run around on (if I'm right about not being in a ship). I think.

Rollersnake

Neo Member
This one's REALLY obscure, and I fully expect nobody here will know what it is.

1. I played it on a Club Kidsoft demo disc that I had around 1996-1997. The case had a picture of a cartoon Albert Einstein and I think blue electricity surrounding him.
2. It was some kiddy adventure game where you played a kid named Harold exploring an ancient ruin. Harold was wearing a safari hat, I believe. At the beginning, there was a surprisingly violent death where you fell down into a room where you got chewed up by bats. The game over dialog had the phrase "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!"
3. This was for Mac, but there may very well have been a PC version as well.
4. Other games on the disc included Foo Castle, Ruff's Bone, and the animated versions of some Mercer Mayer books.

Two Games, both for the Amstrad (CPC) think, which was cassette based.

-Cowboy game. 2D (obviously), you were a small cowboy on a kind of flat plain, ran around and shot NPC cowboys.

-Some of building game. You were a builder/construction worker who used girders and stuff like that. Don't even remember why, remember building up though.

mclem

Zeouterlimits said:
-Some of building game. You were a builder/construction worker who used girders and stuff like that. Don't even remember why, remember building up though.
High Steel?

Mareg

It was an Sidescrolling action game from the Arcade.
It was a 90s game.
Single player game.

It involved you controlling a fully armored gladiator/warrior. You had full control on the direction of your attack and the position of your shield. You could attack high/mid/low with your weapon.
The main thing about the game is that, as you fought the opposing enemies, your armor/shield would gradually deteriorate and pieces of armor would actually fall off.

The game was insane at visual quality for its time. I'm pretty sure it was extreamly violent and sporting buckets of bloods.

Also, I seem to remember the your character along with the enemy were taking much of the screen. Big guys hacking at each others basically.

eso76

Zeouterlimits said:
Two Games, both for the Amstrad (CPC) think, which was cassette based.

-Cowboy game. 2D (obviously), you were a small cowboy on a kind of flat plain, ran around and shot NPC cowboys.

Eh. too vague.
Gunfighter, maybe ? but really there are tons

stuminus3

mclem said:
Wreckers?
Holy crap... that's exactly it! Thank you! I've been searching for what this game was for years, I'd never have thought it was called "Wreckers" but that's exactly what it is! Holy macaroni, this is great! :lol

Thank you to both mclem and eso76 for helping me track down these games. :D

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Mareg said:
It was an Sidescrolling action game from the Arcade.
It was a 90s game.
Single player game.

It involved you controlling a fully armored gladiator/warrior. You had full control on the direction of your attack and the position of your shield. You could attack high/mid/low with your weapon.
The main thing about the game is that, as you fought the opposing enemies, your armor/shield would gradually deteriorate and pieces of armor would actually fall off.

The game was insane at visual quality for its time. I'm pretty sure it was extreamly violent and sporting buckets of bloods.

Also, I seem to remember the your character along with the enemy were taking much of the screen. Big guys hacking at each others basically.
Gladiator?

Top Bottom