• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Here's one that I haven't been able to find. Back in the late 1990's our school had a PC game where there was a disc you would control in a rectangular space where the sides caused damage and the only way to win the level was to pass through the exit, when this happened there was a sound effect of a deep breath inhaling. That's all I remember.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
(Just reposting this because it got stuck on the bottom of the last page):

There was an online, browser-based game (I don’t think there was a downloadable client involved) that my friend and I used to play in the late 90s/early 2000s.

It was a Cyberpunk text adventure game. Heavily William Gibson inspired. It had green text on a black background. It was really atmospheric and cool.

I guess the new CD Projekt Cyberpunk trailer has jogged my memory about it. Searching for the name in the past yielded no results and searching today just brings up link after link of a recent Cyberpunk text adventure called “Cypher”.

Anyone have any idea?

Seeing Mario Aces made me remembering this game, out around 2005 on Windows. It was a super fun tennis game, with a lot of non tennis stuff, like bombs or powerups. In myind, the graphics were based on puzzle fighter. I googled but couldn't find its name. Any idea?

I would love it to be remastered! So much fun for couch gaming!

Sorry for being awfully off-topic, but I'm hoping this thread might help me get closure. I'm very fortunate in that I have managed to track down every game from childhood memory, save from one particular *application*. And it's driving me nuts.

This is '90, but software is possibly from '80s. It's a DOS menu software, that my family computer was configured into starting on boot. From there I could choose to boot to Windows 3, or select, I believe, a Games menu where I had my games. The menu application was "full screen", had a distinct blue color. Menu items could be added / changed via file configuration (I do not recall the application having any built-in settings). I remember even myself as a ~7 years old figured out how to add new games to the menu via the configuration file(s).

At the bottom of the screen, I remember there being some text. Very likely this text was the name of the application.

Again, this was really a simple DOS application and as I recall it, no fancy graphics. One option in the menu was to go to the DOS prompt. Which I often did and then typed "nc" to open Norton Commander. However, I do also recall that I could type another command (name of application for sure) to "get back" to the menu.

Googling has led me nowhere.'

Edit: This software came from my father's job, so it was possibly a commercial software of some sort aimed for DOS based businesses.
This reminds me of those batch files that each pc user was doing to setup a menu at the boot of the pc. Autoexec.bat ?

Droxcy

There was a Police open world game for PS1 gosh played it all the time can't remember the name of it at all. All I remember it had a suburban residential area.

pawel86ck

Banned
Around 1999 I remeber playing vertically oriented arcade shooter with ships very similar to Raiden or Demonstar. I have no idea what the game name was, but it was in space (exactly as demonstar), not on earth. Guys, do you remember games like that?

I remember in my school's computer lab in the late 90s playing a game where you played as a cartoonish ant running around tall grass and fighting other insects.

And no, it wasn't a Bug's Life game.

Airola

Around 1999 I remeber playing vertically oriented arcade shooter with ships very similar to Raiden or Demonstar. I have no idea what the game name was, but it was in space (exactly as demonstar), not on earth. Guys, do you remember games like that?

The only game I can give to you is Viper Phase 1. There are tons of shooters that are like what you described so this probably isn't right, but Viper Phase 1 was a game I played a lot around 1995-1997 or so.

pawel86ck

Banned
The only game I can give to you is Viper Phase 1. There are tons of shooters that are like what you described so this probably isn't right, but Viper Phase 1 was a game I played a lot around 1995-1997 or so.
THANKS MAN, it's exactly the game I was looking for :)

Airola

THANKS MAN, it's exactly the game I was looking for :)

Oh WOW! :D
I thought there's almost zero chance it would be that game. It's the only game like that I remember the name of.

It used to be in a local cafe. First there was Thunder Blade. It got replaced by Cowboys of Moo Mesa which got replaced by Viper Phase 1 which got replaced by some pinball machine. It's literally the only place I ever saw that game and I spent a lot of money to play it in my teen years. Great game even though I haven't played it since it got replaced. It's like over 20 years ago! I still remember it fondly.

pawel86ck

Banned
Oh WOW! :D
I thought there's almost zero chance it would be that game. It's the only game like that I remember the name of.

It used to be in a local cafe. First there was Thunder Blade. It got replaced by Cowboys of Moo Mesa which got replaced by Viper Phase 1 which got replaced by some pinball machine. It's literally the only place I ever saw that game and I spent a lot of money to play it in my teen years. Great game even though I haven't played it since it got replaced. It's like over 20 years ago! I still remember it fondly.
To be honest I thought I would never find what's the name of this game, because I know there are MANY similar games like that, but I have asked anyway and you nailed it with your first answer :). Thanks again. I also spend a lot of money to play viper phase 1, it was a great game and that's why I wanted to see it and play it again after 20 years :p

Last edited:

Pallas

There was a game on the PS1, I had a demo of it, I think from PlayStation underground ... it was an import though, I think. I don’t think it ever released outside of Japan but what I remember you had to control this ball on these rails and make sure it safety passes without falling or hitting anything. I remember it had a bunch of japanese voices for when you hit something or did something successful.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
There was a game on the PS1, I had a demo of it, I think from PlayStation underground ... it was an import though, I think. I don’t think it ever released outside of Japan but what I remember you had to control this ball on these rails and make sure it safety passes without falling or hitting anything. I remember it had a bunch of japanese voices for when you hit something or did something successful.
There’s Kula World, but it is Swedish, not Japanese.

stranno

MSDOS (only) futuristic overcraft racing game (mix of racing and vehicular combat, there were power ups along the tracks: boost, rockets, lasers, that kind of things) with voxel landscape, similar to Novalogic's Voxelscape engine. Third and first person view, the first person was quite weird because of the voxel engine. From ... maybe late nineties.

Not a Mario Kart clone or anything like that. It wasnt popular at all.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
MSDOS (only) futuristic overcraft racing game (mix of racing and vehicular combat, there were power ups along the tracks: boost, rockets, lasers, that kind of things) with voxel landscape, similar to Novalogic's Voxelscape engine. Third and first person view, the first person was quite weird because of the voxel engine. From ... maybe late nineties.

Not a Mario Kart clone or anything like that. It wasnt popular at all.
CyberRace

stranno

By “overcraft”, do you mean hovercraft?
Sorry, yeah, i misspell it. Anyway they were not realistic hovercrafts, but more like futuristic hovercraft/tanks.

And there was third-person view by default. Its probably quite obscure, i dont remember exactly.

Edit: I was wrong (sorry, its hard to remember, i barely played it). It was a racing/combat game about SPEEDBOATS, not hovercrafts/tanks, probably still futuristic, but speedboats. All circuits were rivers, canals and flooded areas. Graphics looked like this crappy ATV game from Game Boy Advance but in third person by default.

ATV%20Thunder%20Ridge%20Riders.jpg

Scopa Scopa

Last edited:
HEY.

I've been searching for the name of a PC, I believe korean with anime-ish design, 2D top-down arena brawler, where you had to flight on kind of slippery arena and launch magic power at others, and collect cards that were randomly appearing on the arena and everybody would rush to get them, as they were the way you could upgrade and combine them to get new magic.

I've been desperately searching but can't find a single clue, maybe someone sees what I'm referring to?

Last edited:
Addedum: not sure it was korean, butit was around when Dofus, Ragnarok Online, MapleStory or Grand Chase started being popular so I'd say around 2004

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Scopa Scopa

It was Thunder Offshore. It wasnt even a voxel game, i think the ultra-low quality textures confused me a bit. Thanks for your time.

Ah yeah, I can see how you got the voxel idea. Man, I’ve never seen nor heard of this game. Glad you found it.

stranno

Ah yeah, I can see how you got the voxel idea. Man, I’ve never seen nor heard of this game. Glad you found it.
Yes, i barely played a few minutes months ago so it was hard to remember.

I want to play again because it is one strange spanish game with some fractal logic for the landscape. Really weird design choice o_O.

Last edited:

Sarah Rosario

Neo Member
There was a game I used to play in which there was a character named Mustafa, it was a game which contains many opponent characters and dinosaurs
Can anyone help me out which game it was?

Last edited:

eso76

There was a game I used to play in which there was a character named Mustafa, it was a game which contains many opponent characters and dinosaurs
Can anyone help me out which game it was?

It would help if you could tell us whether it was an arcade game or not, genre, graphics (2d or 3d, side scrolling etc) approx year...

(but in your case, Mustafa + Dinosaurs certainly means Cadillacs and Dinosaurs)

pyfreto

Neo Member
I vaguely recall a game I played circa 2005 on Windows XP, but it was a fullscreen game so maybe it was a DOS game. In the game you controlled a vertically bouncing ball, which you could only control how much it angled to th right or left. You would enter through (green?) mario-like pipes into the different levels, in which you would destroy bricks by hitting them. I recall in one specific level you had to be careful because if you didn't hit the bricks and hit the border instead you would lose a life (or get "out" - I don't recall if it had "lives"). There were also objects (maybe coins) you had to collect to advance to different areas which had further levels.

I've searched the web and came up with nothing, except this post on another forum which seems to reference to a game similar to this. Any help finding this game would be greatly appreciated.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I vaguely recall a game I played circa 2005 on Windows XP, but it was a fullscreen game so maybe it was a DOS game. In the game you controlled a vertically bouncing ball, which you could only control how much it angled to th right or left. You would enter through (green?) mario-like pipes into the different levels, in which you would destroy bricks by hitting them. I recall in one specific level you had to be careful because if you didn't hit the bricks and hit the border instead you would lose a life (or get "out" - I don't recall if it had "lives"). There were also objects (maybe coins) you had to collect to advance to different areas which had further levels.

I've searched the web and came up with nothing, except this post on another forum which seems to reference to a game similar to this. Any help finding this game would be greatly appreciated.
Was it a 2D or 3D game?

Batfunk

Neo Member
Graphically, the game is like cloud master, .
2 players simultaneously.
Horizontal scrolling (continuously scrolling - not player controlled)
Started off in what i think was like a pagoda, you could take the ground floor or 1st floor (cross section of the building view) like a platformer, the screen did not scroll vertically in anyway.
Some parts I believe were flying on a cloud, which initially made me think of cloudmaster, but at times there was walking, very definitely you start off walking
You could collect powerups like cloudmaster.
Late 80's to early 90's

eso76

Graphically, the game is like cloud master, .
2 players simultaneously.
Horizontal scrolling (continuously scrolling - not player controlled)
Started off in what i think was like a pagoda, you could take the ground floor or 1st floor (cross section of the building view) like a platformer, the screen did not scroll vertically in anyway.
Some parts I believe were flying on a cloud, which initially made me think of cloudmaster, but at times there was walking, very definitely you start off walking
You could collect powerups like cloudmaster.
Late 80's to early 90's

Platform ? shooter ? Arcade ?
It's not Jaleco's Hachoo, is it ?

Batfunk

Neo Member
Platform ? shooter ? Arcade ?
It's not Jaleco's Hachoo, is it ?

Hachoo looks interesting, I will check this out to see if it is right, although I think it was a little more 'fantasy' and more of a shooter (Arcade)
Im pretty sure the scrolling was continuous, and not under the control of the player.
I think I recall you could either collect the bells or lanterns that were hanging in the buildings, as you passed through, to increase your power

But even so, Hachoo looks like fun! thanks for that.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

How about Diamond Ball III?

diamond-ball-iii_3.png

I stumbled across this by accident today and remembered your post.

Last edited:
This is a hard one. One of my first games.

This game came on a 5 1/4 disk, Was about a space explorer, a platformer where you handle an astronaut and go on a moon-like surface and I think you had some kind of weapon. I don't remember any more since I was so young and I don't think the game worked pretty well past some point.

I've got another one.

A graphic adventure (full color this time) that I only remember that you had to click some tree like 50 times for something to happen and/or wait a ridiculous amount of time. It was really hard because of crazy design choices like that. There was like a tower somewhere I think but all I really remember is watching a friend click the tree a bunch of times.

Last edited:

FranXico

This is a hard one. One of my first games.

This game came on a 5 1/4 disk, Was about a space explorer, a platformer where you handle an astronaut and go on a moon-like surface and I think you had some kind of weapon. I don't remember any more since I was so young and I don't think the game worked pretty well past some point.

Second game I ever played on speccy IIRC.

Last edited:

Second game I ever played on speccy IIRC.

This one looks kinda like it but the name is throwing me off, I think it definitely wasn't that one. I was on a 286 computer so totally monochrome but maybe? Soldier of light can't be it, that name..

YES! It's that one. How you came by that game by my terrible description I'll never know but THANKS

Last edited:
crossposting this from the old Dos games thread for ResurrectedContrarian ResurrectedContrarian

Challenge: I wish someone could help me track down an old, mostly generic game I remember playing in the DOS games that I can't seem to find for the life of me. All I can describe is the following: set in space, on a space station or ship; laser gun, slow, side-scrolling (one screen at a time I think, not sure); usually 2 levels per screen (upper / lower platforms); various doors, etc, simple enemies; colorful graphics; ends with leaving the station on your own ship once you finally make your way back to it.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
crossposting this from the old Dos games thread for ResurrectedContrarian ResurrectedContrarian

Challenge: I wish someone could help me track down an old, mostly generic game I remember playing in the DOS games that I can't seem to find for the life of me. All I can describe is the following: set in space, on a space station or ship; laser gun, slow, side-scrolling (one screen at a time I think, not sure); usually 2 levels per screen (upper / lower platforms); various doors, etc, simple enemies; colorful graphics; ends with leaving the station on your own ship once you finally make your way back to it.
UPDATE: Solved! By DunDunPachi, I think.

Top Bottom