• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you wouldn't play if it wasn't for the soundtrack

nkarafo

I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 right now and even though it's the kind of game i put down after a couple of days (not a huge fan of open world racing games) i'm still enjoying playing because of the soundtrack. Dunno, the Pulse radio station gives me so great vibes, i can't stop playing.

I realized this isn't the first time it happens. There are plenty of games i would never play or care about if it wasn't for their soundtracks. Here are some others:

- The OG Plants VS Zombies. It's a good game but i'm pretty sure i enjoyed it's soundtrack more than everything else and it was the thing that made me play it in the first place, otherwise i would probably skip it, knowing myself.
- Body Harvest. It's a very ugly game with a slow moving character and laggy controls. I was about to stop playing it after a few minutes but i noticed the soundtrack and goddamn it made this game a treat to play.
- Ace Combat 7. I was mostly interested about it because of the soundtrack. It's the key ingredient that holds the whole "flying with a plane" premise together. Otherwise i'm not interested.
- Moving Out. I don't care about party games. Much less the ones that look like mobile games. But that soundtrack forced me to stop being cynical about it and even play it a bit with my friends.
- Hotline Miami. It's pretty simple, if this game was on mute in order to be darker or something, i would never play it. The soundtrack is the glue that holds everything together.
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It's an OK game that i would probably not spend time with (i don't have nostalgia for the older Monster World games anyway). But the soundtrack kept me going and even 100% it.
- World of Goo. As a puzzle game, the premise is meh. But the soundtrack gave the game such an atmosphere that i couldn't resist. I remember looking forward to play it just for that.

Obviously, there are tons of examples of games that i love their soundtracks and even think it's their strongest aspect but i would still play even without it. But these games above i only ever played them because of the soundtrack and pretty much nothing else.

There are probably more games that i forget now ofc. Whats yours?

mcz117chief

Funny, I disliked the music in Hotline Miami so much I muted it and still finished the game. And if you like the music in Ace Combat 7 then music from the other games in the series will blow your brains out (I think 7's music is really weak in comparison).

I don't think any game made me play just because of the OST. Some games have very solid soundtracks like Civilization 4, ANNO 1800, NieR, Metal Gear Rising, LOOM and many others but the music was never the focus for me, although they are an integral part of the experience (especially LOOM since that game's gameplay is about music).

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wouldn't go that far (not play it) but there are cases where an excellent soundtrack can help with a game I'm lukewarm about. Hitman 2 (the original) being a prime example. The menu/opening music just gave me goosebumps every single time.

lock2k

Banned
None. If the soundtrack is good but the game is not that good I'll just listen to it.

Monster Boy clearly has an outstanding soundtrack but the game is superb in every way (in my opinion) - ok, some of the puzzles in the later part are boring, but it's overall a great experience.

But I'll use Street Fighter EX series as an example. Why? Most people hate it. But I do love it, and the soundtrack is the tits.

Top Bottom