• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you'd kill to have a multiplayer scene resurrected for.

Tschumi

I was reading game reviews on ign for poops, and found myself reading the Jedi Fallen Order writeup. That's a nice story, EA coming through thanks to Respawn.

What's another nice story? Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. Partway down that Fallen Order review there was a link to "every Star Wars game review ev4r by ign" and i clicked through a slide show looking for this game (9.0/10 at a time when these ratings didn't quite work as they do today)

JkII: Jedi Outcast is a game i can truly feel a sense of ownership over. Growing up, gaming wasn't very easy for me, but there were a few legitimate titles which i was able to get my hands on and really play - this, Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3, and others. JKII:JO had a fantastic single player campaign, with great characters and rich, varied enemies and locations.. but one other thing it had that was particularly great was MP.

HUGE, varied arenas with big numbers of players, heaps of skins, a vibrant modding scene, legitimate gunplay even in lightsaber-enabled battles, quick battles, epic CTF.. just fantastic.

I would kill a small gerbil with my BARE HANDS if it meant i could play a fully staffed MP match of JKII:JO again.

What about you? What old MP game would you love to have a MP scene resurrected for?

edit: this is an awful video, full of exploits and bunny hopping, I've only put it here because it's my favourite map - CTF in a city like coruscant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
DBeTAqWdNQZWCOT-800x450-noPad.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine the new Perfect Dark having the same gameplay and multiplayer as the 64 one.

Also yes at Jedi Outcast. I didn't have internet as a kid but I loved dueling with the bots on multiplayer.

Edit: how os the classic Battlefront II on PC? Is there still a community for it? Would love to try that some day.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yes, exactly, really great bots and that's for sure
Those from Jedi Outcast were great, really good AI, but I loved the ones from Perfect Dark. Being able to assign a "personality", like being super aggresive, a coward, or only using certain weapons or gadgets was really awesome.

I miss multiplayer bots.

SALMORE

i might be the only one , but i want Transformers War for Cybertron multiplayer back !!

Also BioShock 2

Rikkori

Both Jedi Outcast & Academy were great in MP! Besides that I loved Freelancer communities with modded experiences, it was basically a proto-Star Citizen. I'd also love to get some OG Age of Mythology matches going, back when ESO was alive and well, for the brief time that it was. Warhammer Online PvP in the early days was great too...

smirking lying down GIF

Tschumi

Those from Jedi Outcast were great, really good AI, but I loved the ones from Perfect Dark. Being able to assign a "personality", like being super aggresive, a coward, or only using certain weapons or gadgets was really awesome.

I miss multiplayer bots.
You know another game with well implemented bots? Red Faction 2. I remember they were quite a challenge. I really liked that game, considering the wrap it gets these days~

I was reading game reviews on ign for poops, and found myself reading the Jedi Fallen Order writeup. That's a nice story, EA coming through thanks to Respawn.

What's another nice story? Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. Partway down that Fallen Order review there was a link to "every Star Wars game review ev4r by ign" and i clicked through a slide show looking for this game.

JkII: Jedi Outcast is a game i can truly feel a sense of ownership over. Growing up, gaming wasn't very easy for me, but there were a few legitimate titles which i was able to get my hands on and really play - this, Age of Empires 2, Warcraft 3, and others. JKII:JO had a fantastic single player campaign, with great characters and rich, varied enemies and locations.. but one other thing it had that was particularly great was MP.

HUGE, varied arenas with big numbers of players, heaps of skins, a vibrant modding scene, legitimate gunplay even in lightsaber-enabled battles, quick battles, epic CTF.. just fantastic.

I would kill a small gerbil with my BARE HANDS of it meant i could play a fully staffed MP match of JKII:JO again.

What about you? What old MP game would you love to have a MP scene resurrected for?

edit: this is an awful video, full of exploits and bunny hopping, I've only put it here because it's my favourite map - CTF in a city like coruscant.

Bespin will stay in my heart forever

TintoConCasera

You know another game with well implemented bots? Red Faction 2. I remember they were quite a challenge. I really liked that game, considering the wrap it gets these days~
I've never played that! Right now I'm on a classic games spree, so I might give it a go. I remember it having pretty cool destruction mechanics, wonder how that works on multiplayer.

Tschumi

I've never played that! Right now I'm on a classic games spree, so I might give it a go. I remember it having pretty cool destruction mechanics, wonder how that works on multiplayer.
It got a really bad reception, but it was the only new game i had for a few months so i gave it a lot of time.. sp was pretty fun, but i think the resolution and fov might be a bit dated now... it had a good range of could-have-been-iconic guns, and you could fire twin weapons with either trigger which was a fun/potentially strategic gimmick, the mp levels were pretty dense and yeah the bots were good.

Wow lucky video.. kinda boring map:

Last edited by a moderator:

Machoflex

Neo Member
Metal Gear Online 2. Save MGO does exist and there are 124 people playing online at the moment of writing this. But, it would be amazing if they did a remaster for MGS4 and brought back the online with it.

Life

What the....an actual thought-provoking thread. A thread with actual meaning. Maybe I'd go for Street Fighter 4, without the broken DLC characters.

mitch1971

What's another nice story? Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. Partway down that Fallen Order review there was a link to "every Star Wars game review ev4r by ign" and i clicked through a slide show looking for this game.

I remember playing the MP of the old Jedi games on PC. I loved the roll playing that surrounded the light sabre fights. I remember one night about 10 jedi joined a match and we all met up on this old jedi temple (standing on the columns or the rim of the roof, if I remember correctly) And in the centre two people would drop to the make shift battle area below, would bow to each other and start the fight. The winner stayed on and the loser would watch the rest of the fights awaiting his return to the arena. It's was great to participate in and watch.

To answer the thread, I would like to killzone 2 back in action again.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yes OP, HARD agree on Jedi Outcast. God, I loved the multiplayer so much. Hell, I thought the Jedi Academy multiplayer was pretty cool too for what it was.

Personally I'd be all about...

Quake II
UT
UT2004
TFC

Top Bottom