• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesBeat (Grubb) Article on Starfield Exclusivity

ManaByte

Microsoft has no plans to release Bethesda’s upcoming space role-playing adventure Starfield on Sony’s competing PlayStation 5 console. That shouldn’t surprise too many people after Xbox boss Phil Spencer said in March that Microsoft acquired Bethesda to add exclusives to Xbox Game Pass. But I’ve separately confirmed that this situation applies to Starfield through sources familiar with the decision.

But some people keep asking about Starfield on PS5 because they don’t have insight into Microsoft’s reasoning. While Sony or Nintendo would certainly keep new acquisitions locked to their platforms, Xbox has a history of playing nice. Minecraft, for example, is still getting full support on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms. Microsoft even released the new Minecraft Dungeons game on PS5 and Switch. So why wouldn’t Microsoft do the same with Bethesda’s games?

The difference is that Minecraft is a platform unto itself with millions of active players and in-game transactions. And it’s platform like that thrives when it’s available everywhere.

Microsoft likely did investigate what its financials would look like if it made Bethesda games exclusive or not. In the end, it chose exclusivity. And yes, that means it will miss out on money from sales on PlayStation 5. But the point is that Microsoft doesn’t see that as losing money — it sees that as built in marketing for Game Pass. And then it also expects to offset many of those costs by building a deeper relationship with more players who then go on to play and buy even more games on Xbox platforms.

So yes, Starfield is exclusive. And I would predict that Xbox would make this call for The Elder Scrolls VI and beyond.

bender

What time is it?
darkknight249.jpg

This topic will appear over and over again. In fact even after the game is released I expect a lot of people asking why it is not available on Playstation? Even in the supermarket for example. Even when the game will be showcased - there still be people who post shocket emoji and so on.

But in the end.
qBp3YPA.png

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It’s nice to know that Xbox finally has some big, quality exclusives coming.

This is good for the market and it seems like Microsoft is a strong competitor again across many dimensions.

This will likely make games better (and more frequent) from Sony, so this is actually a win-win for even the pathetic fanboys on both sides of this forum.

The article doesn’t make much sense because you can still market GamePass and release on ps5 at the same time.
MS could have just payed money to have it on gamepass, but they bought out the whole of Bethesda. Exclusivity makes sense. People with ps5 are either going to have to buy another console, get gamepass, or just play on their high end gaming PC they always mention in these kinda threads.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The article doesn’t make much sense because you can still market GamePass and release on ps5 at the same time.

people still question it because Microsoft hasn’t come out and made any definitive statements, everything has been vague
This is true. Grubb is a petulant child, but my previous reply is assuming this is actually happening.

Zones

This topic will appear over and over again. In fact even after the game is released I expect a lot of people asking why it is not available on Playstation? Even in the supermarket for example.

Even when the game will be showcased - there still be people who post shocket emoji and so on.
Why do some people act as if exclusives are some new unheard concept?

If people have accepted Spider-Man being exclusive to only one platform, I am sure they will also accept a new IP being only available on two platforms only.

laynelane

people still question it because Microsoft hasn’t come out and made any definitive statements, everything has been vague

He mentions within the article that he has contacted MS for a statement and will update if they decide to comment. So, it's possible more concrete information is coming though it seems unlikely.

MS could have just payed money to have it on gamepass, but they bought out the whole of Bethesda. Exclusivity makes sense. People with ps5 are either going to have to buy another console, get gamepass, or just play on their high end gaming PC they always mention in these kinda threads.

they could have also just come out and said it’s exclusive rather than dancing around the topic

Zones

Or they can just skip the game in its entirety.

This isn’t bread we’re talking about here!

Last edited:

Markio128

Christ on a bike! Can’t we just put all Starfield threads in that game pass thread haha. Honestly, E3 can’t come soon enough…

NickFire

If people have accepted Spider-Man being exclusive to only one platform, I am sure they will also accept a new IP being only available on two platforms only.
No one has trouble understanding what exclusives are. The issue is simple. A ton of money was paid for the publisher that used to (at least) publish on both systems. Since then there has been lip service without a simple and clear guidance for games that were designed as multiplatform pre-purchase. That has caused some people to decide the vague comments mean exclusive, while other people can't help but notice the vagueness of the statements. The games may turn out to be pure exclusive now, or they may not.

they could have also just come out and said it’s exclusive rather than dancing around the topic
This is why you are are a consumer and not a salesman.

What makes more sense, blurting it out in a press release or announcing it on a live stage with millions of viewers from both camps after the first gameplay showing?

They earn nothing by announcing it now. Everyone knows how much they love their world premiere trailers so if its exclusive, you will know at e3 and not before. That goes for every single one of their games.

johnjohn

No one has trouble understanding what exclusives are. The issue is simple. A ton of money was paid for the publisher that used to (at least) publish on both systems. Since then there has been lip service without a simple and clear guidance for games that were designed as multiplatform pre-purchase. That has caused some people to decide the vague comments mean exclusive, while other people can't help but notice the vagueness of the statements. The games may turn out to be pure exclusive now, or they may not.
They're exclusive lol.

Because if you had a generation where close to none game missed your console of choice, you become surprised when suddenly some games are not coming. I mean PS4 was the "default" console basically in the last gen. In Xbox 360 it was slightly different, but in PS2 it was similar - and even more skewed towards Playstation simply because PS5 was worldwide available and was the only choice for a lot of gamers.

Why would you need an article about this lol
Well considering that some podcasts still think that Starfield might not be coming Day 1 on Game Pass...I fully expect another 30+ pages topic on Era when Starfield is released with the specified platforms. And a lot of magazines will publish articles acting surprising. Also couple of meltdown and so on.

Last edited:

NickFire

They're exclusive lol.
They very well might be, but as of now you are spouting opinion as fact. Unless you have a link, and please avoid the last set of comments that had everyone arguing over whether Phil (or whoever) was using industry terms or layman terms.

Zones

I agree, but if you look at the comment I replied to, you will see that person thinking as if this confusion regarding the game’s exclusivity will still be a hot topic even after the game has been released.

Frankly, this mentality comes across like an Xbox fanboy’s wishful thinking, because in their mind this game that nobody has seen yet is oh so important that people who only own PS5 just won’t be able to let go of its exclusivity.

johnjohn

They very well might be, but as of now you are spouting opinion as fact. Unless you have a link, and please avoid the last set of comments that had everyone arguing over whether Phil (or whoever) was using industry terms or layman terms.
Opinion? Phil already confirmed it. And now we just got another confirmation from Grubb. It's a fact that Starfield is going to be exclusive.

🥱 Another Jeff Scrubb article on Starfield?

I wish MS would just come out and straight up say it’s “Xbox and PC only and it’s never coming to PS5” so that clowns like this dude won’t be given the time of day. I know they’ve already hinted it will be exclusive but they haven’t straight up said it and because of that “insiders” like this clown get to write clickbait articles on the topic when it should be something that’s clear as day.

Bergoglio

“So yes, Starfield is exclusive. And I would predict that Xbox would make this call for The Elder Scrolls VI and beyond.”

MrS

Banned
6+ years of development. Hundreds of millions spent on production. All to give it away for free on GamePass. Nobody is buying a console just to play Starfield, how will they recoup the costs if it isn't going multiplat?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why would someone who is not in there ecosystem and has access to their games want to invest in Game Pass? What is incentive to get into the Xbox ecosystem which has Game Pass if you can get the game it in your platform anyway?
He literally said that future Bethesda games(except for those with contracts) will only release on platforms that have Game Pass.

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't want to see a surprise announcement of Starfield on PS5 this summer solely for fun doesn't understand how insane/hilarious it would be reading GAF afterwards.
Part of me wants to see this to watch the meltdowns from fanboys and “insiders”. This shit is fucking hilarious to me. I don’t care which way this shit goes because I’m not much of a Bathesda fan, and the few games I like from them I play on PC but watching meltdowns from this shit would be glorious 🤣.

Kangx

There is this narrative that sony fans question the exclusivity of Starfield and outrage about it, but all I am seeing mostly are Xbox fans who keep this topic alive. Sure, there are a few delusional sony fans still believe this, but most rational fans accept the fact that Starfield is exclusive. As demonstrated by this thread, it is Xbox fans who wouldn't shut up until MS flat out say Stanrfield is exclusive. We got it. Move on already.

Last edited:

Markio128

If you can’t beat them……..So now MS spokesperson JG has confirmed that Starfield is definitely (maybe) an xbox console exclusive, what do we think this game will be? Are we talking about a Skyrim in space? Could it be RPG No Man’s Sky? Could it actually be nothing like Skyrim and be more like a space battle game? Does anybody actually know?

NickFire

Opinion? Phil already confirmed it. And now we just got another confirmation from Grubb. It's a fact that Starfield is going to be exclusive.
People can claim Phil confirmed it a million times, but it doesn't make it true until Phil actually confirmed it.

My guess is the same as yours, but its just a guess. Nothing has been directly and clearly confirmed, but if you have a transcript of Phil saying its exclusive by all means provide a link and end this silliness.

Why would someone who is not in there ecosystem and has access to their games want to invest in Game Pass?

He literally said that future Bethesda games(except for those with contracts) will only release on platforms that have Game Pass.

if a title costs $70 on ps5 (or more with dlc), and is included with GamePass along with all other first party Xbox titles, it would entice somebody to buy an Xbox even if they already own a ps5

they never said it would only come to platforms with GamePass

they said first or better, and they also said that exclusivity would depend on whether the games were broad enough to be intended as an entire platform

Top Bottom