• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamescom closes for the day: too many visitors

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Cartman86 said:
The smell

itsthesmell.png

Goron2000

best junior ever
Steve McQueen said:
We were taken by surprise thursday. We were last last year and the year before, but it was never as crowded. 2 Years ago we were in at 10.00 , waited about half an our to play at the Sony stand ( I remember we played Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and GoW3 ) and waited for about 1,5 hour for Mass Effect 2.

But last thursday the lines for Vita and Skyrim were 4 hours long at about 14.00.
It's just crazy that they let more and more people in.
You sure you don't mean friday? I went thursday and Vita took about 20 minutes and about half hour for Skyrim.
I went again on the friday and there was absolutely no way i was waiting in any of the lines, fuck saturday.

edit: my bad just realised i went on wednesday not thursday

Bozzard

Neo Member
I tried every game in Wednesday with so little waiting. I tried to play BF3 again yesterday but the line was 5.5 hours long so i was like

yao-ming-meme-generator-fuck-that-shit-fe9d08.jpg

GBX_AdamF said:
PAX East 2011 is officially the biggest PAX in history and they had 69,500 attendees.

So yea.. Gamescom is huge :)
Yes but PAX has a cap as to how many tickets they sell. And they usually sell out in a matter of days. If it wasn't for that I am sure it would rival gamescom in size.

Salsa

looks like fucking HELL

i would seriously die in there. I love videogames, but i dont even go to the mall because of the people, jesus fuck.

Heh, it's funny, Darkflight and I did the exact same thing last year: Go until 1ish, and as the lines got incredibly huge, head back in Cologne.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GBX_AdamF said:
PAX East 2011 is officially the biggest PAX in history and they had 69,500 attendees.

So yea.. Gamescom is huge :)
PAX doesn't cram people into the show floor like sardines. There's a lot more to do.

Nome

Why are people praising Gamescom for this? If people are fainting because your venue is unfit, that's a disaster = /

Hopefully they plan properly next year.

Bozzard

Neo Member
Actually the building has 6 exits but i haven't seen anyone telling people to exit from there. People who used other exits were fine (like me)

Mergesort

Xater said:
It's his personal preference. It makes more sense in Cologne for international press and it is in the state with the highest population. The location is also great. I don't think Berlin ever was on the table.
Why not berlin? I think the Messe Berlin is big enough(not sure how it compares to cologne). Berlin itself is big and beautiful. Of course you are right about the personal preference! It would take me only a few minutes to get there. The infrastructure is great as well. I visit the IFA every year and i definitely see a possibility for a gamesconvention.

Donos

Mergesort said:
Why not berlin? I think the Messe Berlin is big enough(not sure how it compares to cologne). Berlin itself is big and beautiful. Of course you are right about the personal preference! It would take me only a few minutes to get there. The infrastructure is great as well. I visit the IFA every year and i definitely see a possibility for a gamesconvention.

Messe Berlin is definetly huge enough. I visited every IFA in the last 10 years and there are so many emtpy halls and alot of ways to leave and enter every hall. Berlin is under the TOP5 for the most international congresses/conventions worldwide.
But i guess there are also a lot of other things which play into proceedings for such an event.

Nome said:
Why are people praising Gamescom for this? If people are fainting because your venue is unfit, that's a disaster = /

People are fainting because they are visiting a massive convention on a very hot day and bring insufficient or no means to keep themselves hydrated.

As a regular attendee I must say the ventilation system is outright excellent and the Koelnmesse itself is huge and can actually safely hold greater numbers than today. I know the shots and videos suggest otherwise, but they were almost exclusively of the most crowded places like the main entrance or the main passage between the most popular halls.

With over 100.000 people you are bound to have some fools only using the most crowded passages between the halls and not looking after themselves. Like bringing not enough to drink when it's 30 degrees celsius.

Mergesort said:
Why not berlin?

The go-to cities for modern media and entertainment in Germany are pretty much Cologne, Hamburg and Munich. It was pretty likely gamescom would end up in one of these three eventually.

Doesn't matter how big the convention hall is. Companies are only going to have limited booth sizes anyway due to cost. As it is, the whole convention center size isn't being used in Cologne. When you are in the actual convention rooms the crowd is usually not as dense. The corridors have more people in them by design.

The best thing they can do for the future is sell passes in advance and when they run out they run out, sort of like PAX.

Like I said before, I went to Gamescom last year and it was a fantastic experience. Air conditioned, comfortable, full of energy. Most importantly, I knew not to be there on a Saturday due to my experience in Leipzig. Better thing to do that day is take in the beautiful city.

snap0212

Donos said:
Messe Berlin is definetly huge enough. I visited every IFA in the last 10 years and there are so many emtpy halls and alot of ways to leave and enter every hall. Berlin is under the TOP5 for the most international congresses/conventions worldwide.
But i guess there are also a lot of other things which play into proceedings for such an event.
Messe Berlin is way smaller than Koelnmesse (160.000 m² vs. 284.000 m²). Frankfurt or Hannover would have been good choices as well. Both of them offer enough space and a good infrastructure.

Another thing is that you have about 11 Million people living in that "area". Way more than you have in Berlin/Brandenburg (about 6 Million).

Alx

Mr. Snrub said:

Who would wait 9 hours in a line ? That's your whole day gone, only to try a game ?
I'm already pissed when I have to wait more than 30 min for an attraction at an amusement park, there's no way I'll ever go to a gaming expo.

Alx said:
Who would wait 9 hours in a line ? That's you whole day gone, only to try a game ?
waiting longer then 20-30 minutes to try a game is a huge waste imo, if the line is that long i'll just watch thx

-KRS-

I can't believe people are THAT stoked over a game that they would willingly go to a crowded place like that and stand in line for the game for the rest of the day.

Goldmund

spons said:
I'd rather have gamescom disappear and have more local events with presentations for the public by developers like with Duke Nukem Forever last year (and many more actually).
What an elitist, anti-social, contemptuous and inconsiderate thing to say. I like it.

hiro4

I was there on Wednesday and I found to be already busy enough. And let me tell you there were already a lot of people who werent from the industry or the press. I saw children as young as 8 walking around there.

Also press and industry only have one day. Thursday to Sunday is open to the public.

snap0212

hiro4 said:
I was there on Wednesday and I found to be already busy enough. And let me tell you there were already a lot of people who werent from the industry or the press. I saw children as young as 8 walking around there.
It has always been like that. People bring their kids. Kojima always brings a bunch of nice ladies with him (not sure who they are) and no one cares.

see5harp

That looks terrible. That's worse than a main stage at Glastonbury and there probably aren't even good looking woman at Gamescon.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
There's also tonnes of metric groping opportunities in that small space, so all those cute professional cosplayers were getting touched.

That's the way I see it.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
hiro4 said:

Also press and industry only have one day. Thursday to Sunday is open to the public.

The security at the show seemed practically non-existent. I was amazed at how easy it would be to just walk right in without a badge and go wherever you wanted, especially on Wednesday. E3 is much more tightly controlled in that regard.

EVIL

Lo_Fi said:
Gamescom is bigger than E3? Huh, I never knew.
only in amount of visitors, since gamescom is open for public from Thursday till Sunday. while E3 is only for press and industry.

Kinan

Thats why you dont go to Gamescom on weekend. I learned my lesson hard way 2 years ago. Now only Thursday for me.

Kinan

EVIL said:
only in amount of visitors, since gamescom is open for public from Thursday till Sunday. while E3 is only for press and industry.

its also much bigger in the amount of exhibitors (557 vs ~200 at E3 and TGS). And I don't think that Gamescom had significantly less "business visitors" than those either.

LeBoef

snap0212 said:
Messe Berlin is way smaller than Koelnmesse (160.000 m² vs. 284.000 m²). Frankfurt or Hannover would have been good choices as well. Both of them offer enough space and a good infrastructure.

Another thing is that you have about 11 Million people living in that "area". Way more than you have in Berlin/Brandenburg (about 6 Million).

hannover/ frankfurt are building the booths for IAA at this time of the year (depends which IAA is being held).

so changing every year from frankfurt to hannover would be silly.
using another date is silly, too. e3, gc and tgs have a good timespan in between.

cologne fits well, but they should go for tuesday + wednesday for press.

@leipzig
cant hear those complaints anymore. nobody cares about that one anymore. even stuttgart has a larger area.

Feep

Banned
Thank God E3 is closed to the public. This looks like a nightmare...and that's coming from someone who happily braves San Diego Comic Con every year.

E3 is best convention.

MNC

if I knew Gamescom was just over in Germany I would've totally gone. Sadly I have a retake on an exam IN MY SUMMER HOLIDAY.

wrowa

Nome said:

I don't think anyone's praising them. While the event becomes more popular every year, it has now reached a size where the experience for the visitor gets worse and worse. They have to change something or else the gamescom might eat itself in the long run.

Oh, and closing it for the public is -not- the way to do it. The gamescom is first and foremost not a press event.

CaVaYeRo

It's also a hell for journalists. You have to go through all that 'hordes' when you go from the business area to the press center. They have to address that for next year, since you waste A LOT of time walking that path again and again. That is not any professional.

Top Bottom