• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamescom closes for the day: too many visitors

Goldrusher

Over 100,000 people showed up today.

The organisers had to close the entrance at 1.30pm for all new visitors.

Ambulances can't keep up with all the people fainting.

source (Dutch): http://tweakers.net/nieuws/76276/organisatie-gamescom-sluit-deuren-beursvloer-wegens-drukte.html

NsuCu.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So this is now way bigger than E3 right?

What Europe Empire need to make the publishers and console makers make their main press conference of the year in Gamescom (since it's the biggest show) instead of the E3 now.

Goldrusher

It's been by far the biggest for quite some time now.

2010:

gamescom: ~254 000
TGS: ~210 000
E3: ~47 000

edit: And to put the numbers truly in perspective, in 2010 all shows were open for 4 days.
E3 however is only for industry/press/media.

How on Earth did this happen? Don't you have to buy tickets in advance, or do you just show up and pay on the door? Does anyone familiar know?

LQX

Totobeni said:
So this is now way bigger than E3 right?

What Europe Empire need to make the publishers and console makers make their main press conference of the year in Gamescom (since it's the biggest show) instead of the E3 now.
When Europe becomes the biggest gaming market with the most publishers sure but let's not get carried away with the happy, happy, joy, joy.

[Nintex]

get2sammyb said:
How on Earth did this happen? Don't you have to buy tickets in advance, or do you just show up and pay on the door? Does anyone familiar know?
You can order both in advance or buy tickets at the door. In any case there wasn't a limit untill now.

Also the press, retail and industry get like 3 non-public days to show/play everything first.

LQX said:
When Europe becomes the biggest gaming market with the most publishers sure but let's not get carried away with the happy, happy, joy, joy.

As I understand it, GamesCom is only bigger because it's open to the public. At E3, you need some kind of ties to a publication, retail group or developer. Is that right?

[Nintex] said:
You can order both in advance or buy tickets at the door. In any case there wasn't a limit untill now.

Also the press, retail and industry get like 3 non-public days to show/play everything first.

It's crazy that they didn't put a limit on it. I mean, it's super cool that people care, but this just stinks of terrible organisation.

profit

A couple of friends left for Gamescom 6 hours ago, I wonder if they got in....
I was supposed to go with them, I'm glad I didnt......

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Yea.. they aren't exaggerating.

I'm still on the show floor. There are so many people.. it is crazy. The floor is now covered in shredded up paper wherever you walk from everyone tossing their show guides on the ground and them being ripped under peoples feet. It is like a giant hamster cage.

Fans are crazy in Europe - Which is awesome :)

Negator

[Nintex] said:
Woah, see all those people trying to get in Nintendo? Boy, if only you brought the Wii U along!
They probably couldn't get Reggie over in time to dodge all the questions they would have gotten.

Xater

profit said:
A couple of friends left for Gamescom 6 hours ago, I wonder if they got in....
I was supposed to go with them, I'm glad I didnt......

The weekend is the worst time to go. If you are not press you better show up on thursday or sunday, otherwise it's unbearable.

Remember when video game developers didn't care about Europe and released every game 2 years late or not at all because there wasn't a market? Times sure have changed.

LQX

get2sammyb said:
As I understand it, GamesCom is only bigger because it's open to the public. At E3, you need some kind of ties to a publication, retail group or developer. Is that right?

Yep, its still not officially open to the general public.

Randy

GBX_AdamF said:
Yea.. they aren't exaggerating.

I'm still on the show floor. There are so many people.. it is crazy. The floor is now covered in shredded up paper wherever you walk from everyone tossing their show guides on the ground and them being ripped under peoples feet. It is like a giant hamster cage.

Fans are crazy in Europe - Which is awesome :)

Needs more attention for Borderlands 2!

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Aaron said:
Not really. E3 isn't open to the public. It should be compared to something like PAX instead.
PAX East 2011 is officially the biggest PAX in history and they had 69,500 attendees.

So yea.. Gamescom is huge :)

lockload

I havnt been to gamescom since it move cities but the previous one was mad, mad busy on the saturday, i sought refuge in the MS vip area all day :)

Aeana

Negator said:
That is impressive. Is this the biggest showing for a gaming convention?
Possibly. Last year's TGS had a record showing and the biggest number for one of the public days was 81,469.

Top Bottom