• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|GamesIndustry.biz| - Assassin's Creed Valhalla takes Christmas No.1 as Cyberpunk 2077 falls to third | UK Boxed Charts

It's likely the negative press has had some impact upon the game's sales this week, but the majority of the decline is to be expected.

It's the first time Assassin's Creed has claimed the Christmas No.1 position (and indeed, the first time for Ubisoft), and only the third time a non-FIFA or Call of Duty game has topped the boxed charts in 15 years (source: GfK Entertainment).

The big No.1 of last week was Cyberpunk 2077, and the RPG dropped 80% in sales this week and falls to No.3. The game has received some extremely negative press in recent days due to its poor technical performance on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, it's worth noting that an 80% drop in sales is not hugely unusual for a game such as this. Indeed, other games that secured big pre-orders, like The Last of Us: Part Two in the summer, and Assassin's Creed Valhalla in November, both dropped by 80% and 70% respectively in their second week.

This entire chart is purely based on physical retail sales.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
41Assassin's Creed Valhalla
2 2Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
13Cyberpunk 2077
54FIFA 21
35Animal Crossing: New Horizons
86Spider-Man: Miles Morales
77Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
68Just Dance 2021
169Ring Fit Adventure
1010Super Mario 3D All-Star

Just 9,000 units separates Animal Crossing at No.5 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla at No.1.

So any game in the top 5 could've easily secured the #1 spot or fallen to #5
Cyberpunk sold basically the same as Black Ops

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Deserved imo, Valhalla really is approaching perfecting the rpg lite formula. It's still a little rough in content repetition and size. Darby McDevitt got the central plot back on track and if they pepper a few proper side quests in to replace the rinse-repeat loop they might actually have a goty on their hands next time.

Bkdk

What’s impressive from Ubisoft is that at least their open world gameplay experience is quite a lot better than cyberpunk’s. Also they did it within half the development time. I really want development time to shorten this gem, tired of waiting 5 years for one title or sequel, most of the time it’s not even worth the wait as they underdeliver on so many aspects they want to expand into. Developers needs to focus on what they do best, if branching story narrative is cdpr’s focus than just do a hub based title like deus ex.

Last edited:
Boxed charts already mean less and less, let alone during a pandemic, but it's sad to see no trace of Immortals in the top 10, whereas various older games stick around. I really hope the game's going to be a worthy investment, would suck if Ubisoft's only successes remained the extremely mainstream titles. And this isn't a jab at Valhalla, which might be my favourite AC so far and possibly my GOTY.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well ass ass legion and fynix are currently 50% off in europe,

RIP day 1 buyers. Also lol buying ubisheit games day 1

Braag

Valhalla was okay, bit too similar to Odyssey and Origin but I liked it best out of the three.
The game dragged a bit and was at times quite buggy (not to the extent of CP2077 obviously) but I'm glad it's doing so well.

Top Bottom